PDA

View Full Version : Great deal? on a '92 525 touring. should i buy it?

victirt
11-26-2009, 04:18 PM
ok, so i found this on craigslist and doesnt seem like a bad idea, but its got some issues. the ad says they replaced the trans and it wont match up to the computer, therfore its not driveable. also, it said its leaking from the head. its only $500. what should i do? ive always wanted a wagon but im not too sure if its worth all the work.

gtopaul
11-26-2009, 04:25 PM
ok, so i found this on craigslist and doesnt seem like a bad idea, but its got some issues. the ad says they replaced the trans and it wont match up to the computer, therfore its not driveable. also, it said its leaking from the head. its only $500. what should i do? ive always wanted a wagon but im not too sure if its worth all the work.

Sounds like it just needs anothe TCU (Transmission Control Module) because it has to match the transmission. When I swapped a 1994 525i automatic into my 92 525i it shifted badly and I had to change the TCU to fix it. Could be a deal.

victirt
11-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Sounds like it just needs anothe TCU (Transmission Control Module) because it has to match the transmission. When I swapped a 1994 525i automatic into my 92 525i it shifted badly and I had to change the TCU to fix it. Could be a deal.
does the tcu need to be programmed or is it just plug and go?

gtopaul
11-26-2009, 06:27 PM
does the tcu need to be programmed or is it just plug and go?

Just plug it in. If you get down and have a look at the transmission it probably has the old VIN number on it and you can run that to see what year it was made. I think the data tag also has the same two letter code, like LZ or MV for example, as the TCU you need.