PDA

View Full Version : towing

Dr.Gonzo
11-28-2009, 11:46 AM
okay, so my roommates mom got her '95 530i stuck in in the middle of California when they were moving back up here last week, and anyone she asks says you cant use a 2 wheel dolly to tow these cars(only a flatbed or suchlike). I originally suggested the cheapest way would probly be to just fly down, rent a penske one-way pick up and a car dolly, but then she brought up that you couldnt use a dolly. Now, I'm a car guy, I've been building cars since I was 15, and I know these cars arent AWD, and I cant think of any other reason that would stop you from using a dolly, so is there something special on these cars that renders it unable to be dollied, or are they just trying to take advantage of the ignorant old lady?

I know this is my first post, I'll post an intro if need be, I'd just really like to figure this out, and when you want something figured out, you go to the people that might know a thing or two that you dont.

Tourburgring
11-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Welcome.
First of all I'm assuming this is an Automatic transmission car.
I think the reason that you cannot tow with the rear wheels on the ground, is that the transmission is lubricated from a pump on the input (engine driven) shaft. If the rear wheels are rotated then even with the transmission in neutral, some parts of the transmission are turning without adequate lubrication.

nmp411
11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
If it is an auto--- You can tow with a dolly if you keep the rear wheels off the ground.
Manual-- I don't see any reason why you can't tow it either way as long as it is in neutral

But, tourburgring got it right on the money with the auto!