PDA

View Full Version : 1995 525i

dcc13
11-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Ignition tumbler is broke removed ignition switch on the back side of the tumbler and turned with a screwdriver and car wont turn over, put key in run position and get under the car and jump starter and motor turns but does not start. I bought this car with the broken key switch and would like to hear it run before I sink a lot of money into it. Can anybody help?
Thanks

yaofeng
11-30-2009, 09:44 AM
What is the build date? Depending on the build date it either has EWS-I or EWS-II. In either case you may not be able to start the car by simply jumping terminals.

dcc13
11-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Thank you for your reply the build date I assume is on a sticker in the drivers side dooor jamb and it read 8/95
The vin is WBAHD6326SGK83051
Is there a way to get this started? I am turning the ignition switch which was removed from the back of the key tumbler with a screw driver the dash lights appear as do the warning lights when I turn to the start position nothing happens, I don't hear the fuel pump either.
A little history the key would turn with no resitance or spring action when I took the ignition switch off the back side of the tumbler and turned the key you could see that the key was not turning the post that goes into the ignition switch.
Appreciate whatever yopu could help me with, my son owns a 2002 3 series coupe and would like to use this 525 for the winter if infact I could get it going

yaofeng
11-30-2009, 10:39 AM
It is EWS-II. EWS-II starts 1/95. On EWS-II there is a chip in the key the code is transmitted through an antenna ring on the ignition cylinder to the DME. This make tampering jump start quite impossible. Google BMW EWS-II for details.

The normal route is of course go to the dealer to have the lock replaced. If there is a cheaper way I'd like to know.

dcc13
11-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Thank you I got the car started the problem was the antenna ring I removed it in an attempt to remove the lock cylinder with a paper clip.
Car runs great.
Can I remove the key cylinder with a paper clip if I get all to align?

yaofeng
11-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Can you post a picture of what your are talking about?

dcc13
11-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I am new to this site and haven't figured out how to post a picture, I will try and describe; the key slides into the switch, on the side of tumbler where the key goes in, there is a little hole about the diameter of a large paper clip, if I try to slide a paper clip into that hole and align the tumbler can the key tumbler be removed that way?
In the mean time I will study the site and try to figure out how to post a picture.
Thanks again

nmp411
11-30-2009, 02:07 PM
I am new to this site and haven't figured out how to post a picture, I will try and describe; the key slides into the switch, on the side of tumbler where the key goes in, there is a little hole about the diameter of a large paper clip, if I try to slide a paper clip into that hole and align the tumbler can the key tumbler be removed that way?
In the mean time I will study the site and try to figure out how to post a picture.
Thanks again

With the key inserted in the ignition, turn the key to the on position (not to start, just on) then use a paper clip or similar item (I used a hard wire with pliers so I could get extra grip on it, trust me, you will need it). Just push very hard on the wire into the hole and you should be able to remove the entire assembly.

It takes a lot of finesse to get it right. I probably spent an hour trying to do it.
Good luck

yaofeng
11-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I have removed a few BMW lock cylinders but never one on the ignition so I can't advise you. Typicaly on all tumblers the key need to be in it so the parts won't fly out every where as you remove the lock cylinder.

I did swap the trunk lock cylinder on the 540i with the hatch lock cylinder on a 530it last weekend by exchanging the lock tabs one at a time in sequence so I can use the 540i keys on the 530it. But it won't help you. The 540i is EWS-I. The 530it is pre-EWS. None has coded keys.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2426/dsc8983.jpg

dcc13
11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
What do I do once it is out? Is this something the BMW dealer can help me with right away?