PDA

View Full Version : Got stranded today on my way to work - 93' 525iT - electrical problems - please help!

FNatic
11-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi,

If someone could please point me in the right direction here, I am not sure what the problem is.

This morning I was driving my 525iT to work and it gave me a 'trans program' message on the dash, my ABS light and traction light went on so I pulled over to a gas station to get some gas and check it out.

Once I turned the car off, it would not start (have a brand new battery). I got it jumped, and on my way to work it was running very poor, with lights comming on like a christmas tree even the heck engine light on. When I tried to turn lights on, the car surged like it was going to turn off.

When I parked it, it would not start again. I just took the battery to get tested and it is fine.

Can someone please try to identify what the problem might be, is this the alternator? Does my BMW have an alternator warning light? I'm very confused, please help. Thank you in advance!

Tourburgring
11-30-2009, 12:18 PM
The first thing to check is the Fusible Link that is located adjacent to the battery under the RH rear seat. Sometimes these crack and make only intermittant contact, causing all kinds of weird electrical issues. Follow the Positive battery leads and find the smaller one that runs behind the battery. The Fusible Link is in series with this wire and looks a bit like a connector.

Next check Fuses #1, 12 & 17 in the Fuse Box located under the hood LH side.

Beyond that :dunno:

FNatic
11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
the fuseable link is the black rubber plunger thingy sticking out of the body with a black wire through it? It looks really flimsy and i've hit it a couple of times reinstalling the battery. Should I take the alternator out and get it tested as well? Thanks.

ruf-porsche
11-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Check the charging system. Sounds like your alternator decided to quit alternating.

Tourburgring
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
If your battery tested OK and still had a good charge then the car should have started even if the alternator wasn't charging. The Fusible Link and Fuses could prevent the ignition system and/or fuel system from operating correctly.

FNatic
12-01-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm sorry, I took the battery out and got it checked/charged at autozone. The battery was dead when I got stranded and after I got it jumped and came home in the morning it would not charge thats when I took the battery to check. I will replase the fusible link(s) first and check my fuses, I read that in my wagon there may be a fusinble link on the red wire as well.

My next step would be to check the alternator/voltage regulator?

Thanks again for your time.

If your battery tested OK and still had a good charge then the car should have started even if the alternator wasn't charging. The Fusible Link and Fuses could prevent the ignition system and/or fuel system from operating correctly.

Lanc3r
12-01-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm sorry, I took the battery out and got it checked/charged at autozone. The battery was dead when I got stranded and after I got it jumped and came home in the morning it would not charge thats when I took the battery to check. I will replase the fusible link(s) first and check my fuses, I read that in my wagon there may be a fusinble link on the red wire as well.

My next step would be to check the alternator/voltage regulator?

Thanks again for your time.

Do you have a voltmeter? Its a quick and easy check on the alternator and connections with one.

FNatic
12-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Actually I heard a high pitched squeel for most of this week, I winder if its linked to the alternator...I dont have a voltmeter, I was wondering if its better to take it off and get it tested at the parts place?

Tourburgring
12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Actually I heard a high pitched squeel for most of this week, I winder if its linked to the alternator...I dont have a voltmeter, I was wondering if its better to take it off and get it tested at the parts place?

Most likely is your alternator.
The brushes are proably worn down so they are barely making contact with the slip rings. Enough voltage/current that the warning light doesn't come on but not enough juice to charge the battery. If the alternator is good mechanically (bearings) and the slip rings aren't too badly worn down, you can just replace the Brush/Diode assembly. Much cheaper than replacing the whole alternator.

attack eagle
12-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Do you have a voltmeter? Its a quick and easy check on the alternator and connections with one.
even easier since the OBC has a built in voltimeter.

tmertz
01-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Ever figure out the prob? Mine keeps dieing out randomly leaving me stranded but always starts back up fine for a little while. 4 months now no. help cant figure it out never happens when i take it in. Go figure.

CarDriver
01-02-2010, 10:28 PM
even easier since the OBC has a built in voltimeter.

Cool, I did not know that. I guess it is good to read all the manuals that came with my Car. DUH... :eek: