PDA

View Full Version : Why not MeGuiars

Ashe too
03-27-2002, 09:03 PM
I've noticed that almost nobody uses or recommends using MeGuiars mirror glaze products. I've used their fine cut cleaner, swirl remover, sealer/glaze and hi-tech paste wax for years and have been satisfied with the result. Is there some reason I should look at other products?

31st330i
03-27-2002, 10:05 PM
I use meguairs but have zaino on order. meguairs is just fine!

I've been using medallion (polymer/carnuaba blend) since new. under that is the medallion cleaner and show car glaze.

http://www.mindspring.com/~pmbenn/images/bmw-2.jpg

Intermezzo
03-28-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm a fan of the Meguiar's polishes & cleaners from their Mirror Glaze line and Body Shop professional line. They're among the best in the industry.

Guest84
03-28-2002, 10:49 AM
Why not all of them?! Why limit yourself to one product? :) Try them all and enjoy!

Chris330Ci
03-28-2002, 11:05 AM
I just ordered a bunch of Meguiars stuff online. Should be here today..!:thumb:

Intermezzo
03-28-2002, 11:13 AM
Hey 31st330i,

How would you rate MMPP's ease of use? Does it stain trim? Being a 'hybrid', does it have the same bonding restrictions that other polymers have? (eg. can't glaze surface prior to application or apply it on top of existing wax)

**Edit** Actually, I just talked to Meguiar's customer service and was told that it would be fine to apply medallion on top of #7 and I see that you do as well. However, I'm confused because the website states that medallion bonds cationically (like other polymers) to your paint. If that were the case, would applying it over a glaze compromise it's bonding properties and significantly reduce its durability? If not, I wonder if the same would apply to products like Zaino and Klasse....

Keith
03-28-2002, 03:56 PM
:thumb: I've been using the Medallion on my "Black" 540 for the last year and this stuff is magical.
I would ask anyone with a dark car to give it a try and no, I do not work for them.

Keith 95' 540ia w/deep lustre finish.:thumb:

awd330
03-28-2002, 04:57 PM
I've been using Medallion Paint Protection for years. It hasn't let me down yet. I think I still have the detailing video tape that came packaged with my first bottle of Medallion.

Nat Brown
03-28-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 31st330i
I use meguairs but have zaino on order. meguairs is just fine!

If I wanted "just fine" I would drive a Nissan Altima, use mid-grade Arco gas, Meguiar's wax, and cotton towels.

Wanting the best, I drive a 330i, use top grade super unleaded, Zaino polish, and microfiber cloths to avoid scratches.

"Just fine" is what I reserve for the wife's VW.

--gary

:D

31st330i
03-28-2002, 06:52 PM
it's just as easy to use as any other liquid wax. it does stain the black trim, however.

I've been using:
Medallion paint cleaner
show car glaze
medallion for all paint
occasionally, final inspection

Originally posted by Intermezzo
How would you rate MMPP's ease of use? Does it stain trim? Being a 'hybrid', does it have the same bonding restrictions that other polymers have? (eg. can't glaze surface prior to application or apply it on top of existing wax)

**Edit** Actually, I just talked to Meguiar's customer service and was told that it would be fine to apply medallion on top of #7 and I see that you do as well. However, I'm confused because the website states that medallion bonds cationically (like other polymers) to your paint. If that were the case, would applying it over a glaze compromise it's bonding properties and significantly reduce its durability? If not, I wonder if the same would apply to products like Zaino and Klasse....

Dr. Phil
03-28-2002, 07:11 PM
Right now I'm in a mix phase.

Using Final Inspection for in between cleaning (carry it in the car with me), but have used Speed Shine for the post wash final step.

Leaning towards Speed Shine because I think it cleans off easier and with less streaking effect.

I have not yet used any polish or paint cleaner since my car is only 3 months old. Still undecided on which brand I'll go with. Used Blitz wax once with good results.

31st330i
03-28-2002, 07:26 PM
just fine should be considered an understatement. medallion is a great product and was even favorably reviewd by thewaxtest.com.

Originally posted by Nat Brown

If I wanted "just fine" I would drive a Nissan Altima, use mid-grade Arco gas, Meguiar's wax, and cotton towels.

Wanting the best, I drive a 330i, use top grade super unleaded, Zaino polish, and microfiber cloths to avoid scratches.

"Just fine" is what I reserve for the wife's VW.

Ashe too
03-28-2002, 07:29 PM
make MeGuiars sound like an altogether mediocre product. What is is about Zaino that makes it so great?

And why hasn't Alee weighed in on this yet?

31st330i
03-28-2002, 07:52 PM
zaino might be the best thing that I've ever appplied to a car but I still think that it's way over hyped and that it's not perfect. I'm a firm believer that the results have a lot to do with the application and maintenance methods.

while some of the meguiar's products may very well be mediocre, medallion is indeed a top notch product worthy of comparison with the best available.

I found a good thread that appear to have a number of objective reviews by hard core detailing geeks:

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=8327

Nat Brown
03-28-2002, 08:18 PM
Part of the reason why I was so amazed with Zaino is that it's my first experience with polymer polishes. You can get the absolute best carnauba wax on the market, and it won't have that mirror shine of a polymer system. As I mentioned on bimmer.org today, many people DON'T WANT that polymer mirror shine. They want the deep, rippling glow of carnauba wax, that shows off the color of the car and not the surrounding landscape. That's actually the marketing strategy of BLACKFIRE, another polymer system -- polymer durability and ease of use with carnauba wax shine.

So Zaino gets hyped like only a convert can hype it -- in your face glee with finding The One.

:lmao: :lmao:

--gary

http://www.bariaur.com/e39/images/trees.jpg