PDA

View Full Version : coolant level warning

leo525I
12-06-2009, 12:03 PM
i have a 1993 525I and the coolant leval shows i had a raidiator replaced and the sensor wat else can i try 2 solve this problem:

Wolf-Strong
12-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Is the car low on coolant? :dunno:

I have had problems with the o-ring not setting from the level sensor, and leaking coolant from it. I have also had problems with the sensor itself breaking quite easily. It is just two TINY pieces of plastic that hold the float from floating right off. If one of those pieces of plastic breaks, the float doesn't sit correctly and throws that code. That or they just forgot to plug the damn thing in. It sits right under the expansion tank, so take out the airbox to visually inspect for leaks, and if it is even plugged in.

leo525I
12-14-2009, 09:36 AM
i just changed the sensor and it still shows my warning light i also reseted the electrical but no changed thank u for your reply

Viktor
12-15-2009, 01:44 AM
I think that sensor just gets dirty easy.

Wolf-Strong
12-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I think that sensor just gets dirty easy.

That wouldn't make sense though if he just changed it.

It seems as though you have a greater problem that you may want to start researching, or pay someone to look into.

Viktor
12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108520

try this solution.... hmmm... i might just try it myself...

Wolf-Strong
12-15-2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108520

try this solution.... hmmm... i might just try it myself...

+1

Contacts might be dirty on the harness to the car. Outside of that, :dunno:

Viktor
12-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Well they'd have to get dirty easy. My radiator is brand spanking new, just replaced not too long ago but that warning never went away.

mayobmayo
12-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I would definitely check the float in the radiator, it could be that it is jammed in a bad spot which doesn't allow it to move up and down freely. I just got over all my coolant and radiator problems. Please take my word on letting a certified BMW professional handle the situation it can be messy, and very tedious.

Wolf-Strong
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Well they'd have to get dirty easy. My radiator is brand spanking new, just replaced not too long ago but that warning never went away.

Not the leads on the sensor itself, but on the wire harness. If you have a leak, it is easy for coolant to drip onto the harness and corrode it a bit, making for a bad connection. At least that is my theory. I have also had the problem of actually breaking a sensor upon installation, though it was old and brittle. The damn tabs that hold that float on are only about 1mm thick! :dunno:

gtopaul
12-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Just unplug the sensor plug and use a wire to jump it. This should turn the light off if the problem is in the sensor or radiator. If the light stays on the problem is elsewhere. A flakey cluster is another likely trouble spot.