PDA

View Full Version : OBD II Code scanner for 2009 35d?

Funf Dreisig
12-10-2009, 09:12 AM
OK. Our Exhaust-gas values light (AKA 'check engine light' or 'Service Engine Soon' light) came on this AM at just over 4,500 miles. So this has now officially gone from a minor problem annoying others, to a BFD demanding immediate attention! :yikes:

I'm looking for a good OBD II reader that preferably will allow me to reset the fault codes (in a later life, after warranty). Any suggestions? Has any one used an OBD II reader on their 35d?

Has anyone used the Actron Pocket Scan Plus CP9410 (http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16350)?

Funf Dreisig

p.s. I called Bav Auto and their customer support guy said their current code reader's firmware had not been updated to handle 2009 models. I think the Bav Auto code reader is a re-branded reader by Peake Research. Their site doesn't list any model past 2007 :dunno:

Penguin
12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I've had good luck using the Actron 9180 on my 2004 Z4, but haven't tried it on the 2010 X5 Diesel. This scanner will allow you to monitor some real-time data, as compared to the CP9410 which only read codes. I would note that my CarChip indicates some of the standard OBD-II data (not codes, but real-time data) is not available on the Diesel... probably because of the difference in emissions systems, e.g., no O2 sensor real-time monitoring, etc.

Note that most inexpensive code readers and scanners will only read the "P" powertrain codes and will not read ABS or other codes. They also will not have the reference for BMW-specific codes, but will display the code, e.g., codes numerically above P1000.

This Amazon page has a nice comparison chart of the Actron Scanners to see what each model provides:

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9180-AutoScanner-Diagnostic-Capability/dp/B000KG8KB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1260466427&sr=8-2

Funf Dreisig
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I've had good luck using the Actron 9180 on my 2004 Z4, but haven't tried it on the 2010 X5 Diesel.....Thanks. I'll see if I can find one locally.

Funf Dreisg

Penguin
12-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks. I'll see if I can find one locally.

Funf Dreisg

Surprisingly Sears often carries them, but not at a good price unless you can get one of those XX% off all auto accessories things going.

ard
12-10-2009, 11:07 AM
I have a Peake for my M5, and called them to ask about the '10 diesel. They do not have ANY scanners yet that are specific to the new diesels. The benefit of the code readers that Peake makes is that they interpret the BMW codes to a higher level than the base OBD code. I am waiting until they have one, and I will buy it. Lifesaver on the M5.

I would SUSPECT that any OBD compliant reader would pull the OBD general codes.

I purchased an Actron CP9145 for $107 on amazon, just to have one for the other cars.... have not tried it on the X5

A

Funf Dreisig
12-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks ARD.

My preference was a Peake (or Bav Auto re-brand). But I guess any OBD II reader would be better than no code reader right now :(

I really want some idea of what is wrong BEFORE the dealer's service techs lay their hands on our nearly new 35d and clear the codes.

Funf Dreisig

ard
12-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I suspect the three of us are very similar... I like bringing the car in and telling them what will be done. Not "check for codes" but rather "Code XYZ present, customer requests A, then B then C"... So much better than getting the "No problem found" run around.

:)
A

Penguin
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a Peake for my M5, and called them to ask about the '10 diesel. They do not have ANY scanners yet that are specific to the new diesels. The benefit of the code readers that Peake makes is that they interpret the BMW codes to a higher level than the base OBD code. I am waiting until they have one, and I will buy it. Lifesaver on the M5.

I would SUSPECT that any OBD compliant reader would pull the OBD general codes.

I purchased an Actron CP9145 for $107 on amazon, just to have one for the other cars.... have not tried it on the X5

A

Are the BMW specific codes still "P" codes? My understanding was that (1) the OBD-II standard says codes of 1000 and below are general codes, identical for all vehicles, and (2) that the "P" codes from 1001 and up are manufacturer-specific (assigned by the individual manufacturer as they desire), but that (3) a normal OBD-II code reader would read and display all "P" codes, including the manufacturer-specific ones. This would mean that while you need a separate reference sheet to identify what those manufacturer-specific codes really mean, you can get the codes with a general OBD-II reader.

Are there additional codes the Peake can read which a general OBD-II reader cannot? Or is it just that the Peake reader would have the meaning of the code in the reader and could immediately display a short "word" explanation in the display, rather than needing a paper reference sheet to see what the code means?

Funf Dreisig
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
.... My understanding was that
(1) the OBD-II standard says codes of 1000 and below are general codes, identical for all vehicles, and
(2) that the "P" codes from 1001 and up are manufacturer-specific (assigned by the individual manufacturer as they desire), but that
(3) a normal OBD-II code reader would read and display all "P" codes, including the manufacturer-specific ones. This would mean that while you need a separate reference sheet to identify what those manufacturer-specific codes really mean, you can get the codes with a general OBD-II reader......Well my brand spanking new Actron CP9180 tells me that I have one code and it is "P007B No PDC Definition Found See Service Manual". So my guess is that your understanding is correct :)

Unfortunately the 35d is so new that finding a "separate reference sheet to identify what those manufacturer-specific codes really mean" on a 35d isn't easy :( However there is a website that attempts to decipher this code (http://dtcsearch.com/P007B/Generic/). So if BMW made even a minimal effort to keep their codes similar to "generic" codes, our X5 probably has a busted Air Temp Sensor.

Hmmm... Now where have I heard this before -- Craig B.?

Funf Dreisig

p.s. To get the CP1980 to read ANYTHING I had to have the engine running.

Penguin
12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
our X5 probably has a busted Air Temp Sensor.

Surprise, surprise.

I've been monitoring the intake air temperature with that CarChip thing I mentioned previously, and the Intake Air Temperature reading is a bit erratic, compared to the reading I've gotten in the past from a Ford Focus and a BMW Z4, e.g., it gives readings up and down a couple of degrees when it is sampled every five seconds. Beginning to look like BMW might have a quality problem here.

I suppose mine will go on the trip to Phoenix. If it does, I should have a nice graph of what the sensor was doing prior to the vehicle noticing a failure.

Penguin
12-10-2009, 05:57 PM
A Volkswagen code of P007B apparently means this:

"Turbocharger (TC) Intercooler Temperature Sensor, Bank 1 -- circuit range/performance" " with Probable cause possibilities listed as "Wiring, TC Intercooler Temperature Sensor, ECM"

http://www.volkscity.com/Files/VW%20GOLF%202800%20V6%204MOTION%202.8%20BDE%20Eng. pdf

Sounds like another temp sensor gone bad.

Sounds like this temperature sensor is probably not the one my CarChip is monitoring, unless on the Diesel they only monitor the intercooler temperature and it gets sloten into the "intake air" slot and labeled as such.

P.S. I wonder if it's number 15 in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=FF03&mospid=51164&btnr=11_4158&hg=11&fg=40&hl=20

Unlikely to be the problem, but might be worth a check to see if the connector is on well prior to a trip to the dealer.

Funf Dreisig
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Surprise, surprise.

I've been monitoring the intake air temperature with that CarChip thing I mentioned previously, and the Intake Air Temperature reading is a bit erratic, ....
I suppose mine will go on the trip to Phoenix. If it does, I should have a nice graph of what the sensor was doing prior to the vehicle noticing a failure.That would be nice info to have :)

BTW my SA says that they recently had another 35d in with a busted Air Temp Sensor. And they did what all good BMW dealers do -- cleared the codes, ordered the part and sent the customer off with a busted Air Temp Sensor for the foreseeable future :tsk:

I asked if he wanted me to come in tomorrow to have them check the codes and order the apporiate parts. And... I promise you I am not making this up...
He told me that it would take SEVERAL hours to check the codes on our X5. So as long as it was running "OK", we should just wait to bring it in until next Wednesday when he could have a loaner for us. I guess those warning lights on the dash aren't all that important after all :confused:

Funf Dreisig

Funf Dreisig
12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
...P.S. I wonder if it's number 15 in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=FF03&mospid=51164&btnr=11_4158&hg=11&fg=40&hl=20

Unlikely to be the problem, but might be worth a check to see if the connector is on well prior to a trip to the dealer.I'll check for this before I take it in next Wednesday. Assuming I can get that deep in the engine internals before triggering the BMW C&D feature :)

Funf Dreisig

Funf Dreisig
12-11-2009, 07:26 AM
A Volkswagen code of P007B apparently means this:

"Turbocharger (TC) Intercooler Temperature Sensor, Bank 1 -- circuit range/performance" " with Probable cause possibilities listed as "Wiring, TC Intercooler Temperature Sensor, ECM"...I called Actron today and got their Tech Support to look up P007B. The tech quoted me exactly the same description that you found for the VW " Turbocharger Intercooler Temperature Sensor, Bank 1".

Funf Dreisig

jaaX3
12-11-2009, 07:44 AM
I have a code reader (BavTech scanner). I have a CEL and checked my codes and found 7 faults. Sounds like you guys would recommend taking in screenshots of the faults to the shop? I have an appt at the dealer on Monday.

Funf Dreisig
12-11-2009, 08:11 AM
.....P.S. I wonder if it's number 15 in this diagram:

Unlikely to be the problem, but might be worth a check to see if the connector is on well prior to a trip to the dealer.I checked the connector on the intake pipe between the inter-cooler and the intake manifold. See attached picture. The connection seemed OK but I have never seen this particular type of connector*. The white tab, which I assume is a locking tab, can be moved up and down. This tab was in the UP position. This seems odd since most locking tabs I've dealt with are pretty intuitive (e.g. you would unlock them by squeezing the tab or pulling up on a tab when trying to remove the connection). I didn't try to had to remove the connector since I wasn't sure which way the Tab should be to unlock it. FWIW the sensor is pretty easy to access. So replacing it (on a cold engine) should be a 30 min job max including clearing the codes.

Has anyone familiar with this type of connector? If so, which way should the tab be to unlock it?

Thanks in Advance - Funf Dreisig

* Our other vehicles are over 20 years old when spade connectors were the norm.