PDA

View Full Version : My homemade roof rack for <$20...

Emission
09-29-2003, 09:41 AM
I am always hauling stuff around on the roof of our X5. As a result, I made "custom" rails out of 2x4's to distribute the load across the rails. The wood is cut a bit long (to allow tie-downs) and I use "weather strip" foam stuck to the wood to prevent scratching the rails. It works like a charm.

In the picture, I have 186 lbs. worth of bunk bed strapped to the roof.

PhilH
09-29-2003, 10:10 AM
You're not concerned it might break while you're driving? It's not like it's been load tested or anything. :eek:

I wouldn't trust myself to make something like that for my car. :dunno:

Emission
09-29-2003, 10:31 AM
You're not concerned it might break while you're driving? It's not like it's been load tested or anything. :eek:

I wouldn't trust myself to make something like that for my car. :dunno:

It is actually very strong. The 2x4's (which can nearly support my weight) are only taking a very light load (check out the front view). Most of the load is carried by the rails.

The biggest issue is center of gravity. With weight on the roof, the X5 is a bit more topheavy. With 180+lbs. way up there, I could feel it. :yikes:

Jimmy325
10-01-2003, 02:25 PM
It is actually very strong. The 2x4's (which can nearly support my weight) are only taking a very light load (check out the front view). Most of the load is carried by the rails.

The biggest issue is center of gravity. With weight on the roof, the X5 is a bit more topheavy. With 180+lbs. way up there, I could feel it. :yikes:

Hey Emission,

The front view pics shows that the 2x4 is starting to warp/bend. But then again, it could also be just visual effects since the top of the car is slightly curved.

In real life, was the wood bending? Scary looking! :yikes:

Emission
10-01-2003, 04:40 PM
In real life, was the wood bending? Scary looking! :yikes:

I know, I know.

The front board is straight. The rear board is warped (even without a load). Key is don't store the wood outdoors!

This weekend, I am bringing home some lumber. I'll see if I can get more pics then.