PDA

View Full Version : My Beemer won't start

Beemergoon
12-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I think it's the starter or solenoid, I turn it over and nothing. The lights and radio still come on, and the battery read good charge. Any thoughts? I'm new to this forum by the way, so please take it easy on me. Thanks

WhoNew
12-15-2009, 06:35 PM
turning over is when the engine spins...... so when you turn the key to start position, nothing happens ?? (the starter does nothing)? it could be the starter, or a host of other things. your best bet is to get a bently manual, it has very good diagnostic steps in it.

does it click when you hit the key ?

Beemergoon
12-15-2009, 06:39 PM
no click, and it happened all at once. I've never had a problem out of the car until this.
Starters usually go out over time, which I thought was suspicious. I put a meter on it and it is getting voltage when the key is turned. No click, no funny noises. Nothing.

WhoNew
12-15-2009, 06:45 PM
It sounds just like a starter. you can jump the selinoid with a screw driver, from batt power to the start terminal. if it goes then, it could just be the selinoid.

Yeah, a starter can just quit with no warning. sometimes giving it a whack with something will get it to go for a few more times

Beemergoon
12-15-2009, 06:58 PM
LOL tried to give it a whack, but couldn't get a hammer to the odd location. The battery is dead now, since the winter weather came in. I'm gonna throw a new starter on it after Xmas, then start on the resto. Thanks for the response, this is my first post on here. I've read a bunch of your thread replies already. I'm a pretty slick mechanic, just never worked on the Euros before. Gonna give this E34 a shot, I got is so cheap it's hard not to play with it. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks!

WhoNew
12-15-2009, 09:09 PM
LOL tried to give it a whack, but couldn't get a hammer to the odd location. The battery is dead now, since the winter weather came in. I'm gonna throw a new starter on it after Xmas, then start on the resto. Thanks for the response, this is my first post on here. I've read a bunch of your thread replies already. I'm a pretty slick mechanic, just never worked on the Euros before. Gonna give this E34 a shot, I got is so cheap it's hard not to play with it. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks!

I am 37 years old, and have been working on cars since i was 16. I am a car guy, always have been. After i got my first BMW 4 years ago, i really wouldn't drive anything else. They are SOOO easy to work on. Maybe a pain to diagnose. I have had my share of headaches...... lol. All and all, best cars on the road IMHO.

Beemergoon
12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Yea I bought this little E34 a couple years ago and have had great luck out of it, save for the starter. I'm gonna put the Sarona kit on it, fix it up a bit and make it a weekend buzz around ride for the woman and me. I'm 34 and have worked on cars since I can remember. I learned to count sitting under the hood of a 64 Ford Fairlane handing my dad wrenches. I can work on the domestics pretty well, but wanted a second opinion from some beemer guys on here before I started ripping parts off. Thanks for the help, talk at you soon I suppose.

Viktor
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Make sure you are park! This happened to me last week! Exact same symptoms... Turned out I was not in park mode! ...go ahead poke fun at me... it happens to the best of us! >_<

Beemergoon
12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
OH WOW I never even thought about it. I'll check it in the morning.....Thanks!!

Wolf-Strong
12-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Ahh forgot about the park switch. Another way to test the park switch is to put the car in neutral and see if it starts.

Beemergoon
12-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Yea good advice, but tried that and it didn't start. I jumped the solenoid on the starter, one click, nothing, starter locked up. YAY!! Now I have to become an instant contortionist to get a new starter on this thing. Think I'm gonna get it up and running after Xmas. I have a company vehicle to drive, so it isn't the end of the world. Next question is, really, is the Bosch worth the extra money? Or should I just get an OEM?

WhoNew
12-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Well at least now you know what it is. I have never even looked at the starter on my car, just the water pump, fuel pump and injectors, ohhhhh, and the crank shaft sensor. i know all too well where those things are. lol

As far as Bosch, i think they made most of the OEM electronics. Not sure though.

Beemergoon
12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
They have an aftermarket starter that's a few dollars more, it's a little slimmer, and I'm sure a little heavier duty. The starter is on the top of the bell housing under the intake on the driver's side. Weird. Never seen one on the topside before.

Viktor
12-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Get a used one from someone parting out. It should keep you going til you save up for a fresh one... since its Christmas time it would be like Damage Control for your wallet. Glad you found the issue!

gtopaul
12-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Beemers are BMW motorcycles and Bimmers are BMW automobiles.;)

BrothaMansWhip2
12-20-2009, 09:14 AM
+1 ^^^^:bigpimp:

jbh1989
12-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Here's a hint: they diagnose the same. If you have a no-crank on a Chevy, what do you do? Make sure the battery is good, make sure you have power to the B terminal, and make sure you have power to the S-terminal when the key is being cranked. It's no different, everyone makes a big deal about eruo stuff being strange when it isn't.