PDA

View Full Version : newbie with e34 probs

e34dave
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Hi all i'm new to this forum and BMW come to mention it.. I have an E34 530i with a really bad wobble at around 50-60mph even though new wheels tyres brake discs and pads fitted. But i've had a search and maybe it could be the upper thrust arms worn. Could anyone confirm?
Up to and beyond that speed its not as bad???
Also having problems filling with petrol. Nozzle clicks every 5p so filling up is quite along time..Any ideas in what this could be??
I have tried putting nozzle in at different angles(getting wierd looks from other motorists might I add)but still no joy. But when I fill my 20litre jerry can up and pour that in in goes straight in probs.

Hope someone can help as the car is lovely to drive apart from the wobble.

Please help

Thanks in advance
Dave

Viktor
12-16-2009, 04:44 PM
New wheels or tires? I had a horrible wobble when I first got my car and the previous owner had 17" rims on it, I got some e39 oem 15" wheels and the ride got better and the wobble was not as bad... still wobbles but it its not as bad as before... now I'm just on the hunt for oem e34 basket weaves.

check out www.bmwe34.net hopefully that can answer any other questions you may have. There are many good knowledgeable people here as well.

e34dave
12-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi Viktor thanks for reply and thanks for the link..Will check it out..
Previous owner put 18in MV2s on mine before (which were all bent/buckled) so changed them for E39 Turbines 16in..Which give a better ride but wobble still there..
Recent searches indicate upper thrust arm...So will check them first..

nmp411
12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Most likely your thrust arms. It's a common wear item. You should get some powerflex urethane bushings as replacements. Good luck!

Beemergoon
12-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Hey nmp I sent you an email, I might be interested in some of your parts.

nmp411
12-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Did I reply to it? Were you the one looking for seats?

rdc
12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
if these are e39 wheels hub centric rings are required as center bore on teh e39 wheels are are larger tan teh e34. Do a search or contact tirerack. Another possibility, as stated by another poster, is the upper thrust arm bushings are worn. Perhps both issues need to be addressed.

petrol issue. Try not putting the nozzle all the way into the filler hole. Back it out an inch or so. then try filling. Works on my 95.

jbh1989
12-25-2009, 11:01 PM
As the previous poster mentioned, if you don't have them already, the hubcentric rings are a must.

I spent 5 months dealing with this problem, I did thrust arm bushings, tire rotations and balancing weekly, cleaned hub and wheel mating surfaces, replaced the lug studs and incorrect nuts the PO installed with factory bolts, and it actually got worse.

The fix: replace the crappy aftermarket fake rims with 15" basketweaves. Why? The crappy wheels were bent really bad. No curb rash or any obvious marks, but put them on a balancer and you'll see the flat spots. I managed to hammer two of them close, but they just didn't cut it (I'm really really really picky). Local salvage yard was parting out a 95 that had cherry wheels, got them at my cost, and have been shake free ever since. Make sure the wheels are straight before doing anything else--you don't want to be chasing your tail.

To quickly check the thrust arms, jack up the front of the car enough to get the wheels completely off the ground and where you can see the thrust arms. Turn the wheel perpendicular to the arm (turn it to the full left to check the passenger's side). Now push the bottom of the wheel back and forward while you watch the bushing. If you have movement, get the bushings done, and don't cheap out on the parts. I've got solid rubber bushings from SSF, they made a big difference and tightened up the front end considerably.

PJG
12-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I had the same wobble at 50 mph...got new thrust arm and lower control arems, wobble gone...It isn't too bad of a job to do yourself...just need a ball joint puller, big hammer, and the proper wrenches...Make sure to put the car on ramps or on the ground before final tightening of the bushing bolts....DO NOT tighten while on jacks