PDA

View Full Version : What are the Inner Headlights for ?

petez
12-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi

I've got a two month old 335i M Sport Coupe and noticed today that I can't get all four headlights to work, just the two outside ones ??. All four lights appear to have xenon bulbs in them but both the dip and main beam only work on the two outside lights. The inside ones work on the sidelight setting (with a ring) but don't change when I go to full lights.

The lights are bright enough on both main and dip but just wondered if they are just there for show !! The dealer says they are ??. Its a UK spec car so it may be different from the US and I don't use day running lights.

I would be grateful for any thoughts

Thanks

KHarney
12-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Those are the DRLs.

Mace14
12-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Not sure if UK cars are different but in the US the angel eyes (the rings), not the inner projector lamps, are the DRL.

As illogical as it may seem the inboard projector lights are actually cornering lights. They only illuminate once you've turned the steering wheel far enough and provide a broad, low angled light to the side. This is of course in addition to the adaptive headlights which turn with the wheel. You can check it out by having someone turn the wheel while stopped and you'll see the one on the same side as the turn come on.

KHarney
12-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Mace,

That is incorrect. In the US the inner lights are the DRLs. The rings are not the DRLs.

E92-Lighting
12-23-2009, 03:32 PM
here is an installed shot, its h3 55w cornering light. Gp Thunder 7500k Super-White would match the most to OEM xenons

http://www.e92-lighting.com/images/cornering%20light.jpg
http://www.e92-lighting.com/images/products/gp%20thunder%207500k%20h3%20superwhite.jpg

KHarney
12-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I just did some testing and they appear to be both. DRLs and Cornering lamps.

-=Hot|Ice=-
12-23-2009, 05:10 PM
The inner lights are the cornering lights. Turn your wheel with your lights on and watch them light up.

tturedraider
12-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I just did some testing and they appear to be both. DRLs and Cornering lamps.

As of at least MY2009 they are not DRLs for U.S. spec cars, the corona rings are the DRLs now. They are cornering lights and they have been the flash to pass lights in the past and I think they still are. Xenons don't work well as flash to pass, because they have to warm up and using them that way is bad for them.

AzNMpower32
12-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Cornering lights.

TGray5
12-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes, the inner lights on my 08 coupe are not DRLs, but cornering lights. The corona rings are the DRLs.

Not sure if the inner lamps are the flash to pass or not.

Would like some LED bulbs for my corona rings...anyone have a suggestion? I tried whiter bulbs, but one burned out in 3 months, so forget that. I like the rings to be whiter and brighter.

-=Hot|Ice=-
12-23-2009, 09:11 PM
As of at lease MY2009 they are not DRLs for U.S. spec cars, the corona rings are the DRLs now. They are cornering lights and they have been the flash to pass lights in the past and I think they still are. Xenons don't work well as flash to pass, because they have to warm up and using them that way is bad for them.

Incorrect. The Xenons are used for flashing.

captainaudio
12-23-2009, 09:13 PM
The inner lights are the cornering lights. Turn your wheel with your lights on and watch them light up.

I tried that but I could not get my head far enough out of the drivers window to see the headlights and still reach the steering wheel.

CA

-=Hot|Ice=-
12-23-2009, 09:16 PM
I tried that but I could not get my head far enough out of the drivers window to see the headlights and still reach the steering wheel.

CA

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

tturedraider
12-23-2009, 09:20 PM

I didn't make a definitive statement.

Flashing xenons is bad for them, so I don't understand why they would set it up this way. To me it makes more sense for the inner lights to serve the two functions. On '06s, which do not have the cornering light feature, the inner lights are the DRLs and the flash to pass.

-=Hot|Ice=-
12-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I didn't make a definitive statement.

Flashing xenons is bad for them, so I don't understand why they would set it up this way. To me it makes more sense for the inner lights to serve the two functions. On '06s, which do not have the cornering light feature, the inner lights are the DRLs and the flash to pass.

German engineering? :D

PhilipWOT
12-24-2009, 07:44 AM

CA

Thats what cruise control and big brass balls are for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWy_Hanw_RE

Thunder Dump
12-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Mace,

That is incorrect. In the US the inner lights are the DRLs. The rings are not the DRLs.

Not this.

As of at lease MY2009 they are not DRLs for U.S. spec cars, the corona rings are the DRLs now. They are cornering lights and they have been the flash to pass lights in the past and I think they still are. Xenons don't work well as flash to pass, because they have to warm up and using them that way is bad for them.

This. Starting with '09 the angel eyes only are now the DRLs (if you have that option set on).

vadim
12-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Mace,

Only on E90/E91. On E92/E93 the inner lamps are indeed cornering lights.

vadim
12-24-2009, 11:05 AM

CA
A 7-Eleven can be of help ;)

KHarney
12-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Not this.

This. Starting with '09 the angel eyes only are now the DRLs (if you have that option set on).

I know for a fact that is incorrect. I have a MY2009 and when I turn on the DRLs the inner lights go on and when I turn them off the inner lights go off. The rings stay on in BOTH cases. When I turn the wheel the inner lights come on as a turning lamp. So I am correct and this is NOT correct. Sorry. :(

AzNMpower32
12-24-2009, 02:15 PM
The amount of confusion is kind of funny actually, heh. On the E90/E91 LCI, the highbeam is the DRL for North American vehicles without xenons.

tturedraider
12-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I know for a fact that is incorrect. I have a MY2009 and when I turn on the DRLs the inner lights go on and when I turn them off the inner lights go off. The rings stay on in BOTH cases. When I turn the wheel the inner lights come on as a turning lamp. So I am correct and this is NOT correct. Sorry. :(

You have a unique '09 E93.

KHarney
12-24-2009, 08:14 PM
You have a unique '09 E93.

Meaning the verts are different? Or there might be something wrong with my car ? :dunno:

tturedraider
12-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Meaning the verts are different? Or there might be something wrong with my car ? :dunno:

Maybe they changed it for 2010. Page 46 of the online E93 brochure it says the corona light rings are used as the DRLs, but then so does the printed version of the 2007 E93 brochure at which I just looked. :dunno:

KHarney
12-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Put the manual down and please check the actual car for me. .. Just out of curiousity sake because this has me intrigued. Why make the Vert different from the Sedan or the Coupe for something as simple as the headlights ?!?!?! When I turn on the DRLs those lights come on. When I turn off the DRLs they go off. But maybe I should not ASSUME those are the DRLs from that information?!?!?!?!?!? LOL

Jakubx80
12-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Those inner lights do not seem to be DLRs. They light up only when I turn and when I put reverse on.

Thunder Dump
12-26-2009, 11:24 AM

Put the manual down and please check the actual car for me. .. Just out of curiousity sake because this has me intrigued. Why make the Vert different from the Sedan or the Coupe for something as simple as the headlights ?!?!?! When I turn on the DRLs those lights come on. When I turn off the DRLs they go off. But maybe I should not ASSUME those are the DRLs from that information?!?!?!?!?!? LOL

The inboard headlamp fixtures are ONLY used for cornering lights (which also come on in reverse). When I have my DRLs active, the corona rings come on. Now the inboard light *looks* like it's dimly lit but it is NOT--it is just a reflection of the corona ring in the lamp housing (which is designed to reflect light to the sides).

If you want to see this for yourself, there are three ways you can do it.

1) Turn on the DRLs, headlights off, and look closely at the bulb hanging down from the top center of the inboard lamp fixture--you will see that it is NOT on, even though there is a reflection of light in the rear of the fixture (this is from the corona ring)

2) Pull up to a storefront that has mostly glass in front, so you can see the reflection of your own lights. Ideally you want to be about 30 feet away. When you do this you should be far enough away that the reflection of the corona rings in the inboard lamp module can't be seen, but you will clearly see the corona ring outlines. Then activate your headlamps, and then your high beams and you can see how these all work. Then, with the headlight switch on AUTO, you can then put the car in reverse and watch the inside lights come on.

3) Remove the bulb for the corona rings out of the fixture on one side, and with the DRLs on, go look at the front of the car. You will have no DRLs on the side with the bulb removed.

Thunder Dump
12-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Correct, the Xenons are used for flashing, but they do not actually flash. If you watch how your high beams work you'll see that activating the high beam (steady on or flash) just opens up the blinder/damper on the low-beam bulb so that it projects light higher and farther. No bulbs actually turn on or off (except for if you have no lights on to begin with, like during the day). Pretty cool design.

tturedraider
12-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Correct, the Xenons are used for flashing, but they do not actually flash. If you watch how your high beams work you'll see that activating the high beam (steady on or flash) just opens up the blinder/damper on the low-beam bulb so that it projects light higher and farther. No bulbs actually turn on or off (except for if you have no lights on to begin with, like during the day). Pretty cool design.

As I said previously, IMO, it is not a cool design as it shortens the life of the xenons. Xenons are not designed to be flashed on briefly, then back off. They are designed to warm up to full temperature and brightness and then be left that way for a reasonable period of time.

Wichard20
12-27-2009, 08:36 AM
As I said previously, IMO, it is not a cool design as it shortens the life of the xenons. Xenons are not designed to be flashed on briefly, then back off. They are designed to warm up to full temperature and brightness and then be left that way for a reasonable period of time.

if you read what he says he is saying the light is not flashing, there is a blinder in the headlight that opens to produce more light

tturedraider
12-27-2009, 09:31 AM
if you read what he says he is saying the light is not flashing, there is a blinder in the headlight that opens to produce more light

I'm referring to the daytime when the lights are not on.

Thunder Dump
12-27-2009, 02:04 PM

I'm referring to the daytime when the lights are not on.

And yes, this is true--the xenons do have to come on quickly and flash during the day. But the ballasts have improved dramatically over the years. Although it's definitely not good for the overall longevity of the bulbs, it's not nearly the problem it was even five years ago.

Sally77
08-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Wow just finished reading this thread. :confused:I'm looking at a 2007 328XI 07/2010 build,with xenons and have not seen the car in person, so does it have ;
angel rings?
inner projector lights that turn on when cornering ?
day time running lights?
Bixenons ( a little metal cover that flips up and down ,in front of the bulb )?
Xenon projectors that move up and down ?
Xenon projectors move left and right?
dealer ECU programming/changes on any of these items?
Is there a video floating around showing the functions?

Sally77
08-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Found a video,
******** width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fl2dOtpy-WE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>******* src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fl2dOtpy-WE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Wow just finished reading this thread. :confused:I'm looking at a 2007 328XI 07/2010 build,with xenons and have not seen the car in person, so does it have ;
angel rings?
day time running lights?

Sally77
08-27-2010, 09:03 AM
I can't get the link to work, sorry.

Sally77
08-27-2010, 09:09 AM
delete

Sally77
08-27-2010, 09:37 AM
delete

Sally77
08-29-2010, 08:08 AM
angel rings?
day time running lights?

any ideas?:D

Edgy36-39
11-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Trying to wake this thread up for a non-board savvy friend with a 2007 328 E93. He is getting a quote of $130 to replace DRL bulb on driver's side.

Does anyone know first hand what's the bulb size, and how hard to DIY? Thanks in advance.

BerfsBimmer
11-02-2010, 01:34 AM
A DRL bulb is cheap. The price being quoted sounds more like the main headlight bulb. The D1S xenon bulb runs about $100. If the $130 includes installation, Id go for it. If that is just the bulb price, then I would do it myself. A search will turn up a few DIYs.