PDA

View Full Version : HPFP ISSUIE IN V8 TWIN TURBO 550i?

2008550I
12-28-2009, 07:51 PM
There have been a lot of issues with the high pressure fuel pump in (hpfp) the 535i twin turbo.
Can we expect the same type of issues in the F10 550i?

Adumbration
12-29-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't think anyone knows.

No one seems to fully understand the problem. BMW has been very quiet on the HPFP issue. This supports the theory that BMW themselves don't fully understand the problem. The new turbo engines will be a slightly different design (single turbo instead of a twin turbo) but they will still use a HPFP. So, the question in my mind is: why would one believe that BMW has solved a problem that they apparently don't fully understand?

Either BMW will come out with a solid explanation for how they have solved the problem, or initial buyers will be willing to take the risk for the exciting performance, or they'll just be uninformed.

Ideally, BMW will figure this issue out and nail down a solution. If they come out with additional NA options that seem to compete with the turbo line up (like the E60 535 and the 550), then that's potentially an indicator that they haven't solved the problem and they need to hedge their bets.

carnuts3
12-29-2009, 05:20 PM
I thought I read that the V-8 will be a twin turbo and the N55 turbo will be a single design.

2008550I
12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I thought I read that the V-8 will be a twin turbo and the N55 turbo will be a single design.

it is ..:thumbup:

Adumbration
12-29-2009, 09:27 PM

Right on. Engines for the F10 535 and 550:

535: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N55

550: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N63

DXK
12-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I spoke to the service manager and he said so far, they are not seeing any issues with N63 V8 twin turbo that is currently being used in X6 and F01 and which will be on F10 550.
However, this engine is still new, so nobody can tell for sure.

car-fan
01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
It looks like the HPFP issues raised in various posts here is a reality for the 550i GT as well. Today I had to have my car towed to the dealer. Symptoms include inconsistent power, and the notorius "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" message. The first incident occured the day after delivery, but I was able to pull into a parking space, turn off - then restart the car. Car appeared to drive fine. I saw the error again a day later but it went away. I took delivery of the car Monday, Dec. 28th.

Ironically enough, after the first occurence I called my sales associate to put him on notice, and even dropped by the dealer on New Years Eve in an attempt for them to run diagnostics on the car to see if any codes where stored , but they were backed up.

Today no such luck with restarting after the "EMRP" message dislayed and the car stalled. I had to summon BMW road side assistance to tow the car, via flat bed to the dealer. Good thing I read the owners manual a bit last night, most notably on how to put the car in neutral - with the engine off.

Service is closed on Sunday, but the sales team put me in a 5 loaner. I will be visiting the dealer tomorrow morning stay tuned. 700 miles on the odometer - build date 11/09

Sorry for the long post

DXK
01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
aha, so now that V8's been around for a while, it appears that none of direct injection engines, either i6 or v8 are reliable!
Sorry to hear about your trouble with a brand new car.

car-fan
01-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for your reply. Not to say I have never had any issues, but this is the first time that I have ever had to have a bimmer "towed" to the dealer. Models include the following: (all bought new)

3 e36; 1 e39; 1 e46(ZHP); 1 e53(X5); 1 r53(Cooper S)

DXK
01-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your reply. Not to say I have never had any issues, but this is the first time that I have ever had to have a bimmer "towed" to the dealer. Models include the following: (all bought new)

3 e36; 1 e39; 1 e46(ZHP); 1 e53(X5); 1 r53(Cooper S)

None of your previous cars had direct injection engine that BMW is now putting in most of its cars. I6 N54 has been around since 2007, but even 2010 cars are having issues. We don't have too much data on V8 in your car, the evidence is just coming in, but it appears that it's prone to the same problems since it's using similar fuel delivery method.