PDA

View Full Version : anybody here with a nice stereo system?

jun
10-05-2003, 11:24 AM
I am getting my car on 10/11. I already have the stereo stuff that will be installed(most)in my house. I have the jl 500/1 and 300/4 amps. I will be installing 2 jl audio 10w6v2 subs and diamond audio hex components in the front.

For those that have aftermarket stereos, can you please post pics of your trunk? I am trying to get some ideas in here.

Thanks..

tgravo2
10-05-2003, 12:24 PM
there are some with nice setups on 3 series cars if you wanted ideas
go to www.e46fanatics.com (http://www.e46fanatics.com)

or you can talk to ACK here, he has an awesome setup, here is his trunk

jun
10-05-2003, 01:52 PM
there are some with nice setups on 3 series cars if you wanted ideas
go to www.e46fanatics.com (http://www.e46fanatics.com)

or you can talk to ACK here, he has an awesome setup, here is his trunk

I think I've seen all of them. I still have my 330ci until 10/11. I will be getting my 540 on the afternoon of 10/11.

tgravo2
10-05-2003, 02:15 PM
oh ok, cool, I don't think I've seen any custom setups in a 5. How about you be the first to post some pics of one here :D

PropellerHead
10-05-2003, 02:18 PM
oh ok, cool, I don't think I've seen any custom setups in a 5. How about you be the first to post some pics of one here :DPaging BillP.. BillP to the 5'er forum

tgravo2
10-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Paging BillP.. BillP to the 5'er forum

:D waiting for pics......

jun
10-05-2003, 03:35 PM
:D waiting for pics......

I am getting my car on 10/11. My stereo stuff are going to be installed on 10/24. The following are going to be installed;

JL audio 300/4 amp for the components
JL audio 500/1 amp for the subs
JL audio 10w6v2 subs(2)
Diamond Audio Hex s500s component speakers

BillP
10-05-2003, 05:33 PM
We have pretty much the same gear:

JL 300/4 bridged running the main speakers
JL 500/1 running the sub
Diamond Audio Hex silks 5/25s in front
Diamond Audio M3 coaxials in back (fixed fader, so rears are -10dB relative to fronts, aka half volume)
Alumapro Alchemy 12" sub in a spare tire well mounted enclosure
Two Audio Control EQT 30 channel mono EQs

Good stuff. The DAs get a bit strident at high volumes, which for me, is the volume they are being played most of the time. I'm trying to tweak the EQs to minimize the impact, but it's tough to find just the right frequency and level of attenuation.

Bill

jun
10-05-2003, 05:53 PM
We have pretty much the same gear:

JL 300/4 bridged running the main speakers
JL 500/1 running the sub
Diamond Audio Hex silks 5/25s in front
Diamond Audio M3 coaxials in back (fixed fader, so rears are -10dB relative to fronts, aka half volume)
Alumapro Alchemy 12" sub in a spare tire well mounted enclosure
Two Audio Control EQT 30 channel mono EQs

Good stuff. The DAs get a bit strident at high volumes, which for me, is the volume they are being played most of the time. I'm trying to tweak the EQs to minimize the impact, but it's tough to find just the right frequency and level of attenuation.

Bill

Do you have some pics of your trunk? Where/how did you install your amps?

I am debating whether to install the amps in my back seat(I don't have folding seat), make a false floor or install the amps in a bracket hanging from the rear deck.

The install will be done by Ron(aka streeteffectz).

Ohmess
10-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Hey Jun -- how do you plan to mount the subs? Are you going to use the rear deck? Also, how did you decide on the 10w6 v. the w7 or the w3?

jun
10-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Hey Jun -- how do you plan to mount the subs? Are you going to use the rear deck? Also, how did you decide on the 10w6 v. the w7 or the w3?

The subs will be mounted in a custom box. The subs will be facing the rear of the car.

I emailed JL's tech support regarding picking the right sub. They told me that 2 10w6v2 is a better chaoice than 1 10w7. Also, the w7 are very power hungry. If I want 2 10w7, I would have to get another 500/1 amp for it. And one 10w7 is almost twice the cost of one 10w6v2.

BillP
10-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Do you have some pics of your trunk? Where/how did you install your amps?

I am debating whether to install the amps in my back seat(I don't have folding seat), make a false floor or install the amps in a bracket hanging from the rear deck.

The install will be done by Ron(aka streeteffectz).

I'm guessing you saw my post elsewhere in the forums: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33094

I installed the amps upside down on a board which is then mounted to the top of the trunk. The JL 500/1 is class D, so heat is a complete non issue. The 300/4 gets quite warm, but it has overheat protection circuits and the amp has never shut itself down even after hours of VERY loud music.

I like the idea of a false floor, that would make for a cleaner install.

Definitely come back and post pics of your install!!

Bill

possessed007
10-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Here are my pics of my trunk but it's going to the shop for winter going to do everything fiberglass floor and sides.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/235000-235999/235174_5_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/235000-235999/235174_7_full.jpg

You can check out the rest of the car here:

Possessed007's BMW Dinan S1 (http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=235174&make_type_query=make%3DBMW&model_brand_query=model%3D5-Series&tree=BMW%205-Series)

jun
10-08-2003, 09:35 PM
I'm guessing you saw my post elsewhere in the forums: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33094

I installed the amps upside down on a board which is then mounted to the top of the trunk. The JL 500/1 is class D, so heat is a complete non issue. The 300/4 gets quite warm, but it has overheat protection circuits and the amp has never shut itself down even after hours of VERY loud music.

I like the idea of a false floor, that would make for a cleaner install.

Definitely come back and post pics of your install!!

Bill

Since you installed the amp in a board, did it cover some of the holes in the deck? How does your bass enter the cabin of the car?

BillP
10-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Since you installed the amp in a board, did it cover some of the holes in the deck? How does your bass enter the cabin of the car?

As wrote in the other thread, I cut an 8"x8" hole over the armrest. While I didn't test it with my SPL meter, I would guess that I gained about 3-4dB by doing so. That is the equivalent of requiring half as much wattage with the hole as would be needed without to make the same volume of bass in the cabin. It also seemed to smooth out the frequency response and reduce vibrations from the trunk (the latter possibly due to needing less volume in the trunk to make the same volume in the cabin).

Cheers,
Bill

jun
10-20-2003, 07:10 PM
As wrote in the other thread, I cut an 8"x8" hole over the armrest. While I didn't test it with my SPL meter, I would guess that I gained about 3-4dB by doing so. That is the equivalent of requiring half as much wattage with the hole as would be needed without to make the same volume of bass in the cabin. It also seemed to smooth out the frequency response and reduce vibrations from the trunk (the latter possibly due to needing less volume in the trunk to make the same volume in the cabin).

Cheers,
Bill

I noticed that you put in dynamat on top of the black plastic that lays on top of the floor. any reason why you didn't lift it up and stuck the dynamat under it? Where else did you apply the dynamat?

I have done the wheel well. I am trying to do some more before my install on 10/24.

Thanks..

Ethan
10-20-2003, 07:38 PM
Hey Jun,

If you need any more pics of my set up I could post them here...I think you saw them over on RF? :dunno: Later

jun
10-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Hey Jun,

If you need any more pics of my set up I could post them here...I think you saw them over on RF? :dunno: Later

That would be nice if you can post your pics in here so that we can have a centralized thread in this forum.

Thanks,
Jun

SS
10-21-2003, 11:49 PM
I am getting my car on 10/11. I already have the stereo stuff that will be installed(most)in my house. I have the jl 500/1 and 300/4 amps. I will be installing 2 jl audio 10w6v2 subs and diamond audio hex components in the front.

For those that have aftermarket stereos, can you please post pics of your trunk? I am trying to get some ideas in here.

Thanks..

Jun...to each, his own. However, if I were you, I'd skip the 10's and get 12's. JL makes some phenominal subs, so, you cannot go wrong with them!

As for the Diamond Audios...GREAT speakers.

Good luck ;)

SS
10-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Here are my pics of my trunk but it's going to the shop for winter going to do everything fiberglass floor and sides.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/235000-235999/235174_5_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/235000-235999/235174_7_full.jpg

You can check out the rest of the car here:

Possessed007's BMW Dinan S1 (http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=235174&make_type_query=make%3DBMW&model_brand_query=model%3D5-Series&tree=BMW%205-Series)

Very nice/creative extra battery & capacitor loctation. Is the radio battery connected to the stock batter at all? How is that wired?

possessed007
10-22-2003, 02:53 AM
Very nice/creative extra battery & capacitor loctation. Is the radio battery connected to the stock batter at all? How is that wired?

No the system is not connected to the main battery at all since I don't want it to drain. System only uses the Optima battery and I also upgraded from a 1 Farad Cap to a 15 Farad cap which changed my bass completely. If you want a good CAP get Alumapro 5 Farad or 15 Farad they also make a 50 Farad but I doubt you will need that.

possessed007
10-22-2003, 02:56 AM
Jun...to each, his own. However, if I were you, I'd skip the 10's and get 12's. JL makes some phenominal subs, so, you cannot go wrong with them!

As for the Diamond Audios...GREAT speakers.

Good luck ;)

I have to agree with SS the JL SUBS the new ones are amazing. You get nice clean deep bass but of course the amp plays a big role as well. Also don't forget JL's need a lot of power so make sure you get the right amp. If you want to go with 12's than I think 2 would be enough. You can get 2 12W7-3 and run 1000 watts on each and you will have crazy bass.

Itchy528
10-22-2003, 09:17 PM
I am getting my car on 10/11. My stereo stuff are going to be installed on 10/24. The following are going to be installed;

JL audio 300/4 amp for the components
JL audio 500/1 amp for the subs
JL audio 10w6v2 subs(2)
Diamond Audio Hex s500s component speakers

You realize each 10w6V2 requires 400 watts. You should get an amp that supports between 800-1000 watts. If you want a killer sub setup I recommend a 15w3 with the JL 500/1 sub. It's very efficient with great output.

-Mark

possessed007
10-22-2003, 10:11 PM
You realize each 10w6V2 requires 400 watts. You should get an amp that supports between 800-1000 watts. If you want a killer sub setup I recommend a 15w3 with the JL 500/1 sub. It's very efficient with great output.

-Mark

I wouldn't go with a 15"..................and those JL's 10W6v2 need minimum 250watts. I'm giving them around 300watts with the PPI. But if you go with a 2 of these JL's than go with the PPI PCX-1500 it will give 400watts on each sub. PPI will give you nice deep /clean bass. Another setup I'm running in my Mercedes is 1 Alpine MRD-M500 for 1 JL 10W6v2 ( 3of these) Lots of deep bass clean 13.9V. Most impotant get youself the Alumapro 5 Farad CAP very important. I never heard JL amps so I can't really tell you.

Itchy528
10-23-2003, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't go with a 15"..................and those JL's 10W6v2 need minimum 250watts. I'm giving them around 300watts with the PPI. But if you go with a 2 of these JL's than go with the PPI PCX-1500 it will give 400watts on each sub. PPI will give you nice deep /clean bass. Another setup I'm running in my Mercedes is 1 Alpine MRD-M500 for 1 JL 10W6v2 ( 3of these) Lots of deep bass clean 13.9V. Most impotant get youself the Alumapro 5 Farad CAP very important. I never heard JL amps so I can't really tell you.

According to JLAudio.com, they recommend 400 continuous watts per sub for optimum performance.

As for my 15" sub recommendation, it was the optimal setup based on my numerous systems in my 5er.

Hifonics 300 watt amp with 12w3;
JL 500/1 with 15w3 (took up 1/2 my trunk space but sounded great);
JL 500/1 with 10W7 (very unimpressed with the W7 - overrated);
Alpine MRD 300/1 with 12w3v2 (current setup - best blend of price performance and space)

Just my opinion.

-Mark

e39540i6
10-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Do any of you guys have DSP? I have it and I heard that it is really hard to change the system for cars with DSP. Am I stuck with the stock system for good?

possessed007
10-23-2003, 04:00 PM
According to JLAudio.com, they recommend 400 continuous watts per sub for optimum performance.

As for my 15" sub recommendation, it was the optimal setup based on my numerous systems in my 5er.

Hifonics 300 watt amp with 12w3;
JL 500/1 with 15w3 (took up 1/2 my trunk space but sounded great);
JL 500/1 with 10W7 (very unimpressed with the W7 - overrated);
Alpine MRD 300/1 with 12w3v2 (current setup - best blend of price performance and space)

Just my opinion.

-Mark

Your wrong abouyt the recommended continuous power. Check out their chart:
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/images/RP_Chart.jpg

Yellow (OPTIMUM):
This zone represents the best compromise between long-term reliability, high-output and low-distortion performance and is centered on each woofer's continuous power rating (as published in its specifications). In this zone, you will be taking full advantage of the woofer's optimum, low-distortion performance range without undue risk of failure

The following setup that you have Alpine MRD 300/1 with 12w3v2 is not not enough power. I would put a MRD-M500 with the gain at 2/3.On the other hand the 12W6v2 need 400watts but if you take a 10W7 it needs 500watts and with a JL500/1 it's not enough your stressing the amp and you won't give more than 400watts that's why you weren't impressed by the 10W7. It needs an amp that can produce at least 600+watts

AK
10-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Thought I'd throw my modest system into the mix...

http://www.corystarr.com/ak/images/stereo_web.jpg

A pair of cheap-ass Crossfire CF210s mounted infinite baffle to an MDF shelf. Powered by a 5 channel Crossfire CFA-555 amp. The subs are wired in parallel for 2 ohms so it's good for 260 watts into the pair.

It sounds truly excellent.

AK

SS
10-24-2003, 12:41 AM
No the system is not connected to the main battery at all since I don't want it to drain. System only uses the Optima battery and I also upgraded from a 1 Farad Cap to a 15 Farad cap which changed my bass completely. If you want a good CAP get Alumapro 5 Farad or 15 Farad they also make a 50 Farad but I doubt you will need that.

Thanks, bud! I've got an Alpine, MRD-F752 V12 5-channel amplifier with MB Quartz Ref-Prem. comp's in the front, and Coaxials in the rear. My capacitor is 1 Farad...don't think I'd need much more than that. Does the sound system drain the battery often???

possessed007
10-24-2003, 04:59 AM
Thanks, bud! I've got an Alpine, MRD-F752 V12 5-channel amplifier with MB Quartz Ref-Prem. comp's in the front, and Coaxials in the rear. My capacitor is 1 Farad...don't think I'd need much more than that. Does the sound system drain the battery often???

Cap is for your subs in other words bass. It stores power and when you use th e system it just releases the power to the subs. Well I hope it's connected to your sub amp only. 1 farad = 1000 watts..........I give 900 watts to my subs when there pumping hard so I took a 15 Farad to have 15000watts stored. What the cap does is keep your bass at the same level since ,y battery cannot produce 1000watts for one hour+.

jun
10-25-2003, 07:49 PM
first pic taken at 5 am when I left my house to NJ to have my goodies installed.

second pic taken after all the goodies have been installed.

BillP
10-25-2003, 10:08 PM
I noticed that you put in dynamat on top of the black plastic that lays on top of the floor. any reason why you didn't lift it up and stuck the dynamat under it? Where else did you apply the dynamat?

I have done the wheel well. I am trying to do some more before my install on 10/24.

Thanks..

My original system had a large sealed enclosure sitting directly over the area currently dynamatted and it was vibrating, thus the dynamat.

I also have some on the underside of the rear deck, inside the trunklid (on the black plastic piece), and I will be doing the spare tire well "any day now".

Bill

jun
10-26-2003, 05:27 AM
My original system had a large sealed enclosure sitting directly over the area currently dynamatted and it was vibrating, thus the dynamat.

I also have some on the underside of the rear deck, inside the trunklid (on the black plastic piece), and I will be doing the spare tire well "any day now".

Bill
I have dynamatted the wheel well, inside the trunk lid, the underside of the rear deck and the top of the rear deck. It is rattle free unless I cranked up the volume beyond listening level.

What I told the installer is I want a simple, almost invisible install. I don't want any amps showing, any crossover showing. I think he did a pretty good install. And the sound quality is better than what I used to have in my 330ci. I had a/d/s components, a/d/s subs, and 2 rockfor fosgate amps in my 330ci and the one that I have right now blows it away completely. I think the tuning that the installer did helped a lot. My system is much much more simpler than the ones he has done in a lot of cars. His store is full of throphies he has accumulated JUST this year. His cars also has been is some auto sound magazines.

SS
10-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Cap is for your subs in other words bass. It stores power and when you use th e system it just releases the power to the subs. Well I hope it's connected to your sub amp only. 1 farad = 1000 watts..........I give 900 watts to my subs when there pumping hard so I took a 15 Farad to have 15000watts stored. What the cap does is keep your bass at the same level since ,y battery cannot produce 1000watts for one hour+.

My amplifier is a 5-channel amp...so...my capacitor is hooked up to the entire system, per se (there is no other way for me to hook it up). What you're stating makes plenty sense...thanks.

nowack500
06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I've always thought of installing a second battery that is dedicated to the Audio but have never been able to figure out : 1. Where is the second battery Grounded?
2. Will an amplifier drain the battery if it's not connected to the alternator??