PDA

View Full Version : Your least favorite design of E46

bing330i
12-28-2001, 05:00 PM
To me: rear lights, either 99-01 or 2002.

LilEccentricJ
12-28-2001, 05:11 PM
I'm on the fence with the "clown nose"

chalkem77
12-28-2001, 05:11 PM
it's gotta be the front and rear bumper reflectors on the ci.

yeah, i know, "it's for safety.. blah,blah,blah..." i still don't like them. :D

Shinobi
12-28-2001, 05:21 PM
The armrest. As just an armrest its fine, but it renders the 2nd cupholder almost useless (as a cupholder that is) when its down. Of course, the cupholders aren't exactly my favorite design to begin with.

Mr. E
12-28-2001, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by chalkem77
it's gotta be the front and rear bumper reflectors on the ci.

yeah, i know, "it's for safety.. blah,blah,blah..." i still don't like them. :D The interesting thing is, if some moron hits your car and the other driver notices your painted out reflectors and shows the responding cop, how sympathetic do you think the cop'll be to your claims that it was all his fault? Those reflectors are there for a reason, and safety is nothing to scoff at.

I won't even go to white reflectors on the front bumper, because other drivers expect to see amber at the front of a car. They may not consciously realize it, but if they see white reflectors they may not expect the car to move in that direction (i.e. into their path).

chalkem77
12-28-2001, 05:42 PM
Wait, how could I forget about the light steering?!?!?! :mad:

i don't want to stir up an old topic, but that was the one thing that i absolutely hated about my car when i first purchased it. thank God BMWNA gave us a retrofit...:)

but if you are just talking about visual design "goofs", then, besides the reflectors, there's not much that i dislike about my car's looks...

LarryN
12-28-2001, 05:47 PM
I guess my least favorite feature is the squeaky window syndrome, if it's been damp in the previous coupla days. Sometimes it sounds like the window is cracking after you roll them back up. Damn, where's the QC...

over90
12-28-2001, 05:56 PM
The weak yellowish foglights they use with oem xenon. Did BMW not turn on both sets during preproduction and say, "These look like ****. They don't match!" :D

Alex Baumann
12-28-2001, 06:00 PM
Seatbelts, they're too tight.

sjs
12-28-2001, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Mr. E

I won't even go to white reflectors on the front bumper, because other drivers expect to see amber at the front of a car. They may not consciously realize it, but if they see white reflectors they may not expect the car to move in that direction (i.e. into their path). [/B]

Excellent point and has been used for centuries by boaters, for those who don't know the red and green let you know what direction the boat is going. Like Mr. E said you can tell which end of the car is facing you with yellow and red.
I have to agree with the cup holders....definately not designed by a woman:mad:

jw
12-28-2001, 07:03 PM
I need a place to put my shades! Tried one that fit on the visor. All that did was leave indentations that won't come out.

The HACK
12-28-2001, 07:04 PM
My main gripe is mechanical. The clutch has NEVER felt right.

Jason 325i Step
12-28-2001, 07:12 PM
Black trim on body of 325/330i

LilEccentricJ
12-28-2001, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by LarryN
I guess my least favorite feature is the squeaky window syndrome, if it's been damp in the previous coupla days. Sometimes it sounds like the window is cracking after you roll them back up. Damn, where's the QC...

Larry, I use Gummi-Pflege on the window seals (BMW Part number 82 14 9 407 015) and never have a squeak! Call Circle BMW and order a couple of tubes (will last the life of the car) they're cheap... like $5-$7 each.

Emission
12-28-2001, 07:47 PM
The B-pillar is too thick for me.

I am 6'3", and with the seat back where I like it, it creates a tremendous blind spot in the sedan.

Oh, the clutch take-up sucks too!

LarryN
12-28-2001, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ

Larry, I use Gummi-Pflege on the window seals (BMW Part number 82 14 9 407 015) and never have a squeak!

Awsome! Thanks for the tip. I think I've seen it at my local dealership in the carcare products shelves. Dropping my car off on 12/31 for Airbag-light-on service, and I'll pick up a tube.

However, I still don't think anyone should have to buy anything to coverup the squeaks.

LilEccentricJ
12-28-2001, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by LarryN

Awsome! Thanks for the tip. I think I've seen it at my local dealership in the carcare products shelves. Dropping my car off on 12/31 for Airbag-light-on service, and I'll pick up a tube.

However, I still don't think anyone should have to buy anything to coverup the squeaks.

BTW Larry, ask anyone... use this stuff VERY sparingly, it is very much like Vaseline or the like and can be a little messy if you gum it up (no pun, lol)

The tube has an applicator built in, so you squeeze a little out and rub it on spreading it as much as you can before squeezing more out. Also, use it on the rear window seals since it is supposed to prevent the dry rotting of the rubber. It Could save hundreds in repairs down the road. Tip: for the rear windows, use your finger so you don't get it on the interior fabrics or your exterior chrome. Good luck!

Clem
12-28-2001, 08:15 PM
Lower bumper treatment on the 02 sedans w/ the beady eye foglights

OscarD
12-28-2001, 08:27 PM
total lack of storage space in the center console and area beneath the climate control system. Where do you keep your phone, sunglasses, phone charger, etc?

Patrick
12-28-2001, 08:36 PM
On a Touring (I have had 2 E46 wagons): the way the rear window gets dirty (rain, snow, dust or mud) in any weather. I am not sure what could be done to keep this from happening - something under the rear valence or on top of the roof. I either run out of rear windown washing fluid or the rear windown wiper is shot. Drives me crazy not being able to see out the back.

Anyone else have this problem?

Patrick

nate
12-28-2001, 08:37 PM
Folding rear seats

LilEccentricJ
12-28-2001, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Patrick 320d
On a Touring (I have had 2 E46 wagons): the way the rear window gets dirty (rain, snow, dust or mud) in any weather. I am not sure what could be done to keep this from happening - something under the rear valence or on top of the roof. I either run out of rear windown washing fluid or the rear windown wiper is shot. Drives me crazy not being able to see out the back.

Anyone else have this problem?

Patrick

Very same problem on my 2000 Volvo V70... thought it was because of the "box" design, who knew on a BMW.?. Anyway, here in Florida USA, the rain cleans it off every couple days or hours or whatever the season is. BTW, please don't forget those fabric pics. :)

dannyxi
12-28-2001, 08:43 PM
I don't like the most is the black side moldings.

Danny

Patrick
12-28-2001, 08:47 PM

Very same problem on my 2000 Volvo V70... thought it was because of the "box" design, who knew on a BMW.?. Anyway, here in Florida USA, the rain cleans it off every couple days or hours or whatever the season is. BTW, please don't forget those fabric pics. :)

My buddy's T4 S70 has the same problem. Even my 1967 Volkswagen Squareback suffered form this. It may be an all-wagon problem for that matter, dunno.

Is there some low pressure created (?) behind the car from underneath or above that causes this?

On my 318i, I had a HAMANN roof spoiler put on for looks and I did notice some improvement.

Yes, cloth interior picks coming as soon as I get a chance!

Patrickl

:)

Mystikal
12-28-2001, 08:55 PM
- Lack of storage space
- Unremovable cupholders (for cleaning)
- No down-tilting side mirror in reverse on 5-speed
- No in-dash CD changer

Most of my other quibbles have do deal with the options on my car, or lack thereof...lol

LilEccentricJ
12-28-2001, 08:57 PM

...It may be an all-wagon problem for that matter, dunno.

Is there some low pressure created (?) behind the car from underneath or above that causes this?

Good thought, you might try a spoiler on the roof line if someone makes one to reduce the "drag" effect created from the roof end drop. You know that vacuum vortex thing that happens.?.

rost12
12-28-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal

I've got a 5-speed and the mirror tilts down if I push the mirror regulator selector to the left.

Patrick
12-28-2001, 09:12 PM

Good thought, you might try a spoiler on the roof line if someone makes one to reduce the "drag" effect created from the roof end drop. You know that vacuum vortex thing that happens.?.

Uh, yeah. What he said! My wife does the vacuuming,err.

I think I skipped physics the day that was instructed ...

The HAMANN roof spoiler for the E46 Touring attaches to the rear-most section of the roof line. Aerodynamically, I doubt that it is worth its own weight.

I suppose this is just something you have to live with as a wagon owner.

Thanksfully, BMW's have side view mirrors!

Patrick

bmw325
12-28-2001, 09:17 PM
Just press on the sides in the front of the cupholder-- you'll feel the plastic ridges and squeeze -- then pull out. very easy.

My least favorite design aspects:
-Flimsy rear deck design
-sqeaks and rattles that BMW could've easily cured with some foam or felt in the production process
-black side molding on sedans
-side body crease

LilEccentricJ
12-28-2001, 09:27 PM

Uh, yeah. What he said! My wife does the vacuuming,err.

I think I skipped physics the day that was instructed ...

The HAMANN roof spoiler for the E46 Touring attaches to the rear-most section of the roof line. Aerodynamically, I doubt that it is worth its own weight.

I suppose this is just something you have to live with as a wagon owner.

Thanksfully, BMW's have side view mirrors!

Patrick

OK the following illustration exemplifies my thought (top left illustration): Properties of drag on an object (http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/inclind.html) So by installing the proper air foil / spoiler then the effects should thus be reduced, aerodynamics increased and a noticeable lack of window clouding. Dunno, just a thought.

Sean
12-28-2001, 09:35 PM
I wish fold-down seats on the Coupe were an option and not std.
The car would be more rigid without them. Plus the rattle.

Patrick
12-28-2001, 09:49 PM

OK the following illustration exemplifies my thought (top left illustration):

Oh, math.

OK. This is however interesting; when there is light snow (I mean snow that is really cold, i.e., sort of like dust) on the ground, and I drive over 100km/hr, there does seem to be a big ball of snowy air swirling around the back window. I suppose something is happening to create this stalled air.

The airfoil shape of the spoiler that I had was probably angled the wrong way to have had an effect.

Thanks for the URL. I have something to discuss with my step-monster next time I see her (aeronautical engineer). Yawn ...

Patrick

LilEccentricJ
12-28-2001, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the URL. I have something to discuss with my step-monster next time I see her (aeronautical engineer). Yawn ...

LOL

Emission
12-28-2001, 10:29 PM
Wagons (and SUV's) do create low pressure behind them that sucks dirt and debris up. Some wagons have an air spoiler that actually directs a blast of wind down the window lessening the effect.

nate
12-28-2001, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Emission
Wagons (and SUV's) do create low pressure behind them that sucks dirt and debris up. Some wagons have an air spoiler that actually directs a blast of wind down the window lessening the effect.

Yea, a lot of wagons, minivans, and SUVs have them. My sister's QX4 has a plastic spoiler just above the rear glass window. I have never seen dirt and dust all over the back.

Plaz
12-29-2001, 12:55 AM
Who uses cassettes anymore? Please.

MAK
12-29-2001, 08:50 AM
I think that BMW's would look more attractive without the black body side molding and bumper strips. These pieces should be color coded to the sheetmetal color. It would be a less jarring contrast, especially in the lighter colors.
Mike

ZBB 325Ci
12-29-2001, 10:43 AM
I hate that the coupe doesn't have the license plate insert like the sedan -- I live in a 1-plate state and don't need the front plate, but since I did ED, BMW AG attached the front license plate holder, which is drilled into the bumper. If I take it off, it will leave holes that will need to be filled and painted.

At least the sedan has an insert space where you can put a plate or replace it with a no-plate insert -- much cleaner. Why couldn't they do that with the coupe also?

Ashe too
12-29-2001, 11:13 AM
1. Seat bolsters on seat backs on sport seats are a little too intrusive - interferes with ingress/egress. But once seated, best seats I've ever sat in.

2. Seat belt retraction not strong enough.

3. Cheap leather.

4. Rim of sport steering wheel is not thick enough - I shouldn't have to be an M-wheel to get a good wheel.

5. Tactile feel of buttons on dash not up to snuff - Honda/Acura is the master of this. And how hard can it be?

6. Progressive (i.e., non-linear) clutch take-up is messy.

hts
12-29-2001, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a mechanical problem to me.

I have a (330i 5-speed) with power seats (I think that's relevant, but maybe not) and the passenger-side mirror tilts down when I'm in reverse.

For some reason, it didn't initially, but I knew it was supposed to, so I took it in and they fixed it. Worked perfectly ever since.

ashecnc
12-29-2001, 04:54 PM
folding rear seats should NOT EXIST on the coupes..they cause noises and pops that drive ME NUTS!

ALEX325i
12-29-2001, 05:42 PM
Steering on my 01 325i is annoying... I got a call from BMWNA over a month ago and they told me somebody was supposed to call me within a few weeks to make arrangements. I'm still waiting... I guess it's time to email BMWNA again...

CH_325xiT
12-29-2001, 06:42 PM
I agree with Patrick and LilEccentricJ

This is definitely the most annoying of anything I could think of.
I feel like I'm constantly cleaning it.

I too thought that a different spoiler angle would solve this, but I would hate to change the look of the wagon as is.

Besides like you said Patrick, BMWs do have side mirrors.
I guess it's something I can live with.

jse
12-29-2001, 07:11 PM
Why didn't they extend the black plastic liner like they did on the E39 5'series. The paint on the skirt and bumper behind the (sometimes wide) wheels is left totally unprotected.

JSE

Jspeed
12-29-2001, 10:33 PM
I would prefer the power window switches (placement-wise) and the front center armrest/storage to be like the 5 series (E39). Also what's the deal with optional rear center 3-point seatbelts!?

Mystikal
12-30-2001, 12:34 AM
Alright, so 2 of my quibbles are gone now! About 2 hours after posting, I was browsing through the owners manual and read about why my passenger mirror doesn't fold down...doh!

And I gotta try those cupholders. I never really tried with too much effort, just the night that I got the car I took a look to see if I could get them out easily.

This is fun, I'm learning new things about my car everyday!

Patrick
12-30-2001, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by CH_325xiT
I agree with Patrick and LilEccentricJ

This is definitely the most annoying of anything I could think of.
I feel like I'm constantly cleaning it.

I too thought that a different spoiler angle would solve this, but I would hate to change the look of the wagon as is.

Besides like you said Patrick, BMWs do have side mirrors.
I guess it's something I can live with.

Nice looking Touring! If you are having winter like the rest of central Europe, I am sure the AWD is coming in handy.

The Hamann roof spoiler doesn't help as far as keeping the rear window clean. However, it is subtle enough that once it is painted and installed properly, no one can tell that it was NOT a factory extra. OK, aside from other Touring owners. I had several ask me if the spoiler made any difference.

I will have to find a scanner and post some pics of my 318iT with it.

Patrick

Patrick
12-30-2001, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by jse
Why didn't they extend the black plastic liner like they did on the E39 5'series. The paint on the skirt and bumper behind the (sometimes wide) wheels is left totally unprotected.

JSE

Would mudflaps help?

Yeah, I know, many people hate them. I have them and really like them. In certain weather conditions, I really like when the car in front of me also has them ...

Patrick

Patrick
12-30-2001, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by CCs328Ci
folding rear seats should NOT EXIST on the coupes..they cause noises and pops that drive ME NUTS!

I had the same feeling and same problem with the folding seats on my 318iT. I didn't know what it was a first and then when I road in the back while someone else drove, there was no noise. Once found, the problem was easily fixed although it required weekly attention.

Patrick

LilEccentricJ
12-30-2001, 07:39 AM
Alright, so 2 of my quibbles are gone now! About 2 hours after posting, I was browsing through the owners manual and read about why my passenger mirror doesn't fold down...doh!

And I gotta try those cupholders. I never really tried with too much effort, just the night that I got the car I took a look to see if I could get them out easily.

This is fun, I'm learning new things about my car everyday!

I'm glad you have resolved the mirror issue and may have a solution for the cupholder issue. You are absolutely correct about how we learn more and more about our cars each day. To me, this board is a huge help but what has really made a difference is the Bentley manual I purchased. I suggest you look into it. Good Luck! :)

AF
12-30-2001, 08:00 AM
not loving the black side moldings on the Sedan like a few others here have said.

I can't believe our E46 sedans still have this, it's so 80's !!!

JD
12-30-2001, 08:24 AM
The clutch, the throttle and the steering.
:(

TD
12-30-2001, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by JD
The clutch, the throttle and the steering.
:(

Hey! That's my line... ;)

JD
12-30-2001, 08:42 AM
Wow, I actually beat you to it, lol! :) We'll have to get together soon to check out the M3s side by side.

TD
12-30-2001, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by JD
Wow, I actually beat you to it, lol! :) We'll have to get together soon to check out the M3s side by side.

Well, I know everyone is getting sick of me talking about it. I'll answer a specific question on it, but I'm trying to limit my E46 slamming.

But, yeah, we need to get together. But, as an accountant, the next month and a half won't be good. Granted those are the worst times to try to keep a car clean anyway.

JD
12-30-2001, 08:59 AM
Yeah, my car isn't looking too hot right now. Too cold to wash and detail it. Maybe early spring would be better. Plus I would have the time to put in the alarm, UUC bushings for the clutch pedal and maybe a chip, CAI and exhaust? Hmmmm...probably wait on the last 3 mods for a while though.

TD
12-30-2001, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by JD
Yeah, my car isn't looking too hot right now. Too cold to wash and detail it. Maybe early spring would be better. Plus I would have the time to put in the alarm, UUC bushings for the clutch pedal and maybe a chip, CAI and exhaust? Hmmmm...probably wait on the last 3 mods for a while though.

My clutch arm bushings are actually NOT installed yet. And I have one child seat anchor to go on the rear shelf (2 are in so the seat is secure). Since I already did the alarm, that would leave me at about the same place.

I have considered a chip and may do one. But, for me, next up are the X-brace and the '99 M3/2's steering wheel (which I already own - just waiting on finding a reasonably priced airbag - or waiting on finally sucking it up and paying $600 for one).

And the first chance I get, I really want to give the car a good waxing - wheels included. Oh yeah, then there's that desire to get M-Contours....

But I have no major mods planned. The car is so damn perfect bone stock that you, really, only can mess it up.

ashecnc
12-30-2001, 09:36 AM
Can I borrow your manual, I'll send it back, I promise.. :p :o

TD
12-30-2001, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by CCs328Ci
Can I borrow your manual, I'll send it back, I promise.. :p :o

Who were you replying to?

ashecnc
12-30-2001, 10:24 AM
lilE :rolleyes:

RJ
12-30-2001, 05:06 PM
All of my least liked features have been listed but they are:

1) Design around armrest area with lack of space for storage that can have been easily resolved by storage bin under the armres. The design also renders one of the cup holders useless. The exposed cup holders really kill the design in this area.

I like what my Camry has: Large storage under the armrest and the cup holder flaps that hide the cup holders when not in use.

I have seen the caps you can buy to go over the cup holders which also look tacky.

2) Lack of "standard" features as folding rear seat in the 4 door, mud/splash guards AND colour coded to match the body colour. They do save your paint around the splash guard area. I will be getting the 3M clear rock guard put arond this area.

3) Placement of the power window switches. Again I like the way my Camry has them on the driver's door armrest.

4) Poor retraction of the seat belts and the way they hit the middle pillar on removal.

5) This is my biggest objection - the black side molding strips. (How does one remove them to get them pianted?)

6) I do not like the way the accelerator pedal sits on the floor. What is the purpose of this? In my opinion it only makes the carpet messy around this area. I like the mats to have no obstruction.

7) They could atleast have give us chrome tips for the exhaust pipe. I know the 330i gets them as standard.

RJ
2002 325i

ed325i
12-30-2001, 05:13 PM
The non-sealing front windows in the coupes.

ict330xi
12-30-2001, 06:06 PM
Cupholders waste space. Don't drink (anything) and drive. There is a sliding door replacement part for the cupholders see http://www.drinkholders.com/auto/

has anybody done this? If so does it look good. I like the sliding compartment. Would help alot with lack of storage.

DKJBama330ci
12-30-2001, 06:15 PM
- Lack of storage space
- Unremovable cupholders (for cleaning)
- No in-dash CD changer

Most of my other quibbles have do deal with the options on my car, or lack thereof...lol

Cupholders come out, just pull up at the back of them. 5-Speed does have mirror tilt down. You have to have the memory seats that come with PP for it to function.

DKJ