PDA

View Full Version : 2009 X5 Donut Spare Tire

mac08
01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Can anyone advise where I can purchase a new or used "donut" spare tire for a 2009 X5? I've been wanting to change OEM run-flat tires to custom ones and I want a back up spare for emergency purposes.

Ironltc
03-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Same question but for a 2007 X5 3.0 - did you ever get an anwser?

Penguin
03-15-2010, 07:14 AM
BMW sells them... at a typical BMW price.

barbja
03-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Can anyone advise where I can purchase a new or used "donut" spare tire for a 2009 X5?

What I'd do is get the specs for the rim and tire that BMW uses and go to Discount Tire and have them replicate them. It should cost less than the dealer, right? At least you could compare price to the dealer and go with whichever is cheaper. You could throw NTW and Tire Rack (+mounting) into the mix too.

I was thinking of just replacing my run-flats with regular tires and not having a spare at all (I can't have a spare with the 3rd row). Or I could get a full-size or compact spare and keep it at home. However, as soon as I don't have a spare is when I'll probably get a flat 1500 miles away from the nearest BMW assist representative (hey, maybe I'll feel like driving the AlCan Highway!). I haven't had a flat that manifested itself anywhere other than my driveway that I could actually change myself since I was driving:

1) 1982: Probably 1/2 block from home, got the tire off, then the spare was flat! My dad was "in charge" of that. I walked home and informed him of the situation and he took care of it.

2) 1989: I bent a rim coming back on the road after going off because of an oncoming car in my lane. But I had to call someone to help anyway because I couldn't get the lugs off! I was on a remote road where there was no way that I would ask someone to stop and help. BTW -- $300 to replace an alloy Volvo rim in 1989!! What is that -- a zillion dollars now? I didn't figure out that I could claim it under my insurance until years later.

3) 2000: I was too pregnant to change the tire. I walked to a Firestone in the parking lot and a mechanic was nice enough to go and change the tire for me.

4) 2001: My husband couldn't get the lugs off -- I finally had to jump on the x-bar (while he yelled about it, but *I* got the lugs off and he didn't). Ok, we finally got that one done ourselves, but it probably took at least 30mins to just get the tire off.

5) 2003: Rental car (after I had totaled my 3rd Volvo by backing my X5 into it :) ) My son couldn't stay inside the car without the A/C and I couldn't watch him outside the car AND change a tire. A person walking by saw my dilemma and helped -- sidewalk in front of a strip mall, so safe.

All the ones that I've actually been able to change completely under my own power were in my own driveway under a tree. Nice. At least four I guess. Hence the "keeping a spare at home" idea.

I've heard a lot of reports of the run flats being more prone to flats than regular tires. Is that true? And then they have to be replaced? Does that mean that I should really get that wheel and tire coverage that I would never buy before (if I keep the run-flats)?

Can I just take my car to Discount Tire and ask them to put regular tires on it? I know I can always ask, but will they do it?

I'm getting an 35d with Sport and Adaptive Drive, would regular tires give a better ride than the run flats?

mac08
03-18-2010, 01:35 AM
I haven't gotten any reply from my inquiry for the donut spare tire for my 2009 X5.

barbja
03-18-2010, 06:46 AM
I haven't gotten any reply from my inquiry for the donut spare tire for my 2009 X5.

You can get it from Tischer for 73.06 + shipping:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214672&chapter=&sectionids=0,2504&groupid=2504&subgroupid=52011&make=3&model=X5&year=2009&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

If they'd ship to the Philippines is another matter entirely.

Penguin
03-18-2010, 07:04 AM

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214672&chapter=&sectionids=0,2504&groupid=2504&subgroupid=52011&make=3&model=X5&year=2009&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

I recall seeing a notice on Tischer's website that said BMW no longer allows them to ship outside the Us, even to Canada. This footnote is on their shipping information page:

"**We are no longer permitted to ship internationally per BMW. (sorry)"

RedRockin
03-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Don't know if any of this will help you in Philippines...

For my 2010, my dealer sold me for $179 + tax (included mount and bal).
FP # 36-12-0-418-845 tire 155/90D18 Dunlop
FP # 36-11-6-768-861 Black steel emergen (rim)

I had looked at tirerack and could not find the tire in that size (155/90/18) If same for 2009, it will not come with a bracket but fits the 2010 storage perfectly without the bracket. you will not get a BMW jack (scissor style) which when ordered with vehicle in production bolts in place with the mounting bracket. Personally, I do not care for scissor jacks anyway. I paid about $25 at my local checker auto parts for an ACDelco 4 ton bottle jack which works great and is MUCH easier to operate. I leave it in the original box and it fits easily in the rectangular storage bin just right of the battery (with plenty of room for other stuff). Also keep in mind, the BMW X5 has these bizarre rectangular jack points which are plastic. I feel they can handle the bottle jack with ease but I tend to err on the side of caution. So, I bought the ECS jack point adapter: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-540i-M62_4.4L/Search/Lift_Pad/ES251251/ not the extra pads, just the round disk with rectangular protruding male to match the jack point female. They charge a ridiculous ship fee ($13). I then had a local machinist drill out a hole in the round part to accommodate the round top of the bottle jack. Yea, this is way overkill.

BTW, the adapter (ECS) is a sloppy male to female fit. I had thought it would be a much tighter fit. Even so, I suspect if I need to jack up the X, I'll probably use it anyway. I really do think the bottle jack by itself is fine.

PS. I suspect you will want to buy at least the Rim from BMW. Otherwise you risk whatever you get not being a proper fit.

Best wishes!

UncleJ
03-19-2010, 09:44 AM
How about an auto wrecking yard (oops I mean "dismantler")? Those should be fairly inexpensive and the shipping to the PI in a box (they are not that big) would not be too much.

fonger
04-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Does that come with the tire or just a wheel?

mac08
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I was able to purchase the spare donut tire set thru Tischer and I already shipped it iut to the Philippines last April 06,2010

X5Mavs
02-22-2011, 04:27 PM
How did the spare work for you?

quackbury
02-22-2011, 05:51 PM
The OP's original post was a year ago, so you may not get an answer. But I can tell you that I used my OE factory spare last October (2nd day I had the X5) and it worked great!

zz6938
02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Can anyone advise where I can purchase a new or used "donut" spare tire for a 2009 X5? I've been wanting to change OEM run-flat tires to custom ones and I want a back up spare for emergency purposes.

try realoem.com

X5Mavs
02-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks. Don't need new tires yet, but pretty sure i'll go with non-runflats and a spare next time. How many miles did you get out of your first OEM run flats? I'm currently at 21K miles but will prob put a lot of miles on over the next few months so expecting a change pretty soon.

bimmerzone
01-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Came across this thread, I see that its quite a while ago but if anyone that is browsing needs one we do carry it :)
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-E70-KIT.html

Cheers

Vincent