PDA

View Full Version : e46 XM (or sirius) options for a version 40 head unit

thelemur
10-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Ok, I've been doing my research, but I am still unsure what to do and need advice. I have a 2001 330Ci without Nav and of course the old version head unit. I ordered a Pioneer FM903XM (but if something better comes along thats fine, because I got it very cheap ~ I also have a dead P900XM that used to get free service if anyone has ideas about that too!)

Anyway, my goal is to have as much of a factory look as possible (I hate the size of the Delphi unit, that's why I leaned towards the small screen of the FM903XM.) I read up on the soundgate and Blitzsafe adaptors, and if I am correct they WILL work on my version headunit, just not show name's of artists and stations? Correct me if I am wrong. It also looks like these units will leave me without CD Changer access, which is a downside.

Seeing the song name and station is a must, I cannot do without this.

So do I have any other options? I would rather not upgrade the factory head unit, as they are quite pricey.

Also, FM Modulated Sound quality, is it noticeably different? I have heard from some that you cannot tell, and others say not to go FM, but haven't seem to listened to it themselves.

Any advice is of course appreciated. Thanks!!

Dan

ObD
10-08-2003, 11:06 AM
You can use a CD changer with the Soundgate or Blitzsafe adapters (check model info) and XM IIRC, but it will have to be an aftermarket CD changer. The BMW OEM changer won't work with aftermarket adapters.

For 2001, the only choice is an adapter. Swapping the OEM headunit and using OEM Sirius won't work or at least no one has tried it.

More XM info here: XM (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13351)

thelemur
10-08-2003, 02:22 PM
You can use a CD changer with the Soundgate or Blitzsafe adapters (check model info) and XM IIRC, but it will have to be an aftermarket CD changer. The BMW OEM changer won't work with aftermarket adapters.

For 2001, the only choice is an adapter. Swapping the OEM headunit and using OEM Sirius won't work or at least no one has tried it.

More XM info here: XM (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13351)

Thanks, I just read up on that thread, but I am confused. He is using the Blitzsafe adaptor AND the Pioneer control screen??

Kaz
10-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Thanks, I just read up on that thread, but I am confused. He is using the Blitzsafe adaptor AND the Pioneer control screen??

Yeah, you need the aftermarket control unit no matter what, since the radio/adapter is simply for the audio and changer control interface, and doesn't have provisions for controls on the AUX. If someone ever came up with an adapter that would map, say, Alpine AI control signals to BMW bus signals, AND inject text into the BMW bus (the Phatbox does this using the Blitzsafe, doesn't it?), then it would be possible to do away with the control panel.

thelemur
10-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Yeah, you need the aftermarket control unit no matter what, since the radio/adapter is simply for the audio and changer control interface, and doesn't have provisions for controls on the AUX. If someone ever came up with an adapter that would map, say, Alpine AI control signals to BMW bus signals, AND inject text into the BMW bus (the Phatbox does this using the Blitzsafe, doesn't it?), then it would be possible to do away with the control panel.

I am sorry I am so dense ~ I thought the purpose of blitzsafe was to allow the BMW OEM head unit to control the XM tuner? I would love to be able to control the XM with the small pioneer screen and be able to have the direct connection through the blitzsafe instead of the FM modulated connection if that is possible.

Kaz
10-08-2003, 02:35 PM
I am sorry I am so dense ~ I thought the purpose of blitzsafe was to allow the BMW OEM head unit to control the XM tuner? I would love to be able to control the XM with the small pioneer screen and be able to have the direct connection through the blitzsafe instead of the FM modulated connection if that is possible.

My understanding was that you get the controls but not the display.

thelemur
10-08-2003, 02:38 PM
My understanding was that you get the controls but not the display.

Hmm, I guess i'll keep researching. Perhaps I should contact Blitzsafe. Thanks for your help!

Pinecone
10-08-2003, 03:36 PM
The BlitzSafe allows you to play the XM output through the head unit, and select that unit, but you still need the XM control head to control the unit.

The BMW Sirius with 03+ head unit is all in one.

The Phatbox manages to inject the info and be controlled by the BMW head unit directly using the CD changer hookup.

thelemur
10-08-2003, 03:56 PM
The BlitzSafe allows you to play the XM output through the head unit, and select that unit, but you still need the XM control head to control the unit.

The BMW Sirius with 03+ head unit is all in one.

The Phatbox manages to inject the info and be controlled by the BMW head unit directly using the CD changer hookup.

Pinecone, do you know if the phatbox works with the older version head units? Are there any sites about it?

Do you know which blitzsafe unit to get? Their website is a bit vague. Thanks!

Dan

Pinecone
10-09-2003, 06:20 AM
WRT gthe BlitzSafe, it depends on the XM unit you pick. Then for each, they have two models. One is for XM onlhy, the other allows XM and CD changer. But it will only work with the Alpine version of the changer, not the BMW version.

I don't remember the exact model numbers, but that info should get you started.

As for what head units the PhatBox works with, try the PhatBox webpage.

thelemur
10-09-2003, 10:13 AM
As for what head units the PhatBox works with, try the PhatBox webpage.

Do you know what the site is?

Pinecone
10-09-2003, 02:52 PM
www.phatnoise.com