PDA

View Full Version : Infinite baffle installation questions

Ohmess
10-09-2003, 09:10 AM
For any of you experts out there, I have a question on how to do an infinite baffle installation. I'd like to install a pair of subs in the rear deck of my 540i6. Assuming I can find appropriate equipment, I believe I need to make sure that the speakers are sealed so that the waves coming from the front of the sub are separated from the waves coming from the rear. To accomplish this, I'm told that people frequently mount the speakers to an MDF board and then mount the board to the rear deck in such a way as to form a seal around each speaker. Holes are then cut in the rear deck to enable the waves from the speaker to enter the cabin.

Is this sufficient? Is there further effort that is necessary to seal off the rear trunk from the cabin or to simply seal the trunk? :confused:

BillP
10-10-2003, 11:07 PM
In addition to what you are suggesting, I would ...

... consider placing a layer of dynamat or similar vibration absorbent material between the MDF board and the bottom of the metal rear shelf.

... consider placing a ring of dense foam rubber around the openings on the underside of the metal rear deck to form a better seal for the speakers. If all you can find is the weatherstripping stuff from the hardware store, that will do. The big reason here is that the rear deck is not flat and the foam will help fill in some of the peaks and valleys.

... consider placing a layer of polyfiber batting (rolls of the stuff are available at fabric stores) between the top of the metal rear deck and the cloth rear deck covering to prevent the cloth piece from slapping against the metal deck during loud bass hits if you don't cut out holes in the rear deck covering itself (and most folks don't for appearance reasons). This slapping can be quite annoying.

As I said in an earlier post, absolute perfect sealing of the trunk isn't required, but getting it "reasonably good" is a productive goal.

Go Cubs!

Bill

Ohmess
10-17-2003, 02:56 PM
In addition to what you are suggesting, I would ...

... consider placing a layer of dynamat or similar vibration absorbent material between the MDF board and the bottom of the metal rear shelf.

... consider placing a ring of dense foam rubber around the openings on the underside of the metal rear deck to form a better seal for the speakers. If all you can find is the weatherstripping stuff from the hardware store, that will do. The big reason here is that the rear deck is not flat and the foam will help fill in some of the peaks and valleys.

... consider placing a layer of polyfiber batting (rolls of the stuff are available at fabric stores) between the top of the metal rear deck and the cloth rear deck covering to prevent the cloth piece from slapping against the metal deck during loud bass hits if you don't cut out holes in the rear deck covering itself (and most folks don't for appearance reasons). This slapping can be quite annoying.

As I said in an earlier post, absolute perfect sealing of the trunk isn't required, but getting it "reasonably good" is a productive goal.

Go Cubs!

Bill

Hey Bill P -- sorry about your Cubs man. :mad: :bawling: :mad:

Who cares about a Yankees/Marlins series anyway? :dunno:

BillP
10-17-2003, 03:36 PM
Hey Bill P -- sorry about your Cubs man. :mad: :bawling: :mad:

Who cares about a Yankees/Marlins series anyway? :dunno:

Baseball? Huh? What's that?

I have a serious case of denial going on right now, so don't even bother answering the question. :madrazz:
And if I meet Mr. Bartman ... :violent:

Frustratedly,
Bill