PDA

View Full Version : 745i navigation, radio, and sound system problem

edbmw745
01-24-2010, 07:53 PM
i own a 2002 bmw 745i , the navigation system , radio system, are not working anymore, the fuses are all good, i was wondering if any one out their knows what the problem could be? please let me know thank you

Keif
01-24-2010, 10:20 PM
One of the items on the MOST bus ring has tanked or you have an issue with one of the fiberoptic cables. MOST = Media Oriented Systems Transport. A MOST bus jumper / FOC coupler (fiber optic couple) - part: MOST 61 13 6 917 541 - can be used to eliminate / bypass specific devices on the network until the offender is found. Before that, try pulling out the FOC in the the glove compartment fuse box for a few seconds to give a simple MOST bus reset a shot.

edbmw745
01-25-2010, 11:16 PM
thank you, im going to check it out and see what happens

Cehrlichman
03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
I as well have a 2002 BMW 745i and am having the same issue. I took the MODE BUS out for a few min and plugged back in to see if it might reset the radio or navagation, nothing. I also went to BMW and asked if I should replace the MODE BUS. One of the techs I spoke with said he didn't recommend that because he didn't think that would be the cause. So I was wondering if there might be something else I can try?

*Car Problems* One night I went to start my car and the front nav screen flickered a bit. As it turned on it looked as if there was no problems. I go to accept the agreement and realize that after doing so both CD options (CD Changer/Single CD) are grayed out as well as the Radio. I scroll down to click, nothing, no sound of any sort (execpt a little crackle out of the front speakers, that happened every now and then previously). I scroll to the navigation, again nothing, just a blank screen where the nav would normally appear. Come to find out most all of the control functions dont work, with exception of the climate control. You can navigate through the menu just fine but when it comes to working nothing happens.

I've tried reseting the MOST BUS by pulling it out and plugging back in. I've tried cutting power to the entire and let it drain a bit (unpluged the battery). Not really to sure what to do from here. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

joekahng
03-24-2010, 03:28 PM
any software updates lately? any new software updates on 02~03 models have triggered failure in certain control modules.

Cehrlichman
03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Not that I know of. I only bought the car last year and didn't hear about any update from previous owner. Plus it was working great for the first 6 months. Thanks!

allaboutdaz
04-09-2010, 01:05 PM
any updates on this ?

Cehrlichman
04-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Not yet. Any input would be great. Thanks!

TechFreak
04-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Get hold of another MOST BUS LOOP Connector (same as the one in the glove box) then bypass each Control Unit in the trunk/boot... one at a time. ;)

Hopefully when you bypass the faulty control unit other functions will appear on the IDrive indicating which unit is having the problem.

Cehrlichman
04-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Could you please tell me how I would go about bypassing each of the Control Units? Where exactly might they be located? I went down to BMW and asked just to borrow a MOST BUS LOOP and of course I already knew the answer before I even asked. It was "No. You must buy it.". And I of coursed ask if I could return it if it didn't work. Same answer "No". Now I have no problem going out and actually spending the $40 if thats what you think might work. What might you recommend? Again thanks for the reply.

shane2010
05-20-2010, 11:36 AM
i am havin same problem please help me ........

nvafamilyman
06-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Mine started this today as well, can some one explain the trouble shooting process. please advise

jide_99
06-08-2010, 10:35 PM
its ur radio when mine acted up, nav wasnt workin, no sound from radio, took it to a side audio and they send it off and rebuild my radio, often moisture gets in them and causes it to shut down.

nvafamilyman
06-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Thx for replying, where is the radio board located? I had my windows tinted the same day wondering if that can be the cause? Do you mind telling me what they charged to have it sent out and repaired?

jssmi765
06-15-2010, 11:21 PM
If you read most of the threads here where people are having similar problems it is almost always the ASK (Audio Systems Control) unit. That is the CD player in your dash. Because everything electronic runs on the MOST BUS system if one unit goes out it appears that everything tanks. So the good news is it's probably just one component. The bad news is that the factory part is $1279 here is a link where you can get a new OEM part http://www.bmwpartscounter.com/products/gb/BMW-7-Series-E23-E32-E38-E65-E66-F01-F02/745Li/Control-unit--Controller--Audio-system-CD/644630/65126977634.html. If you search long and hard on the internet - particularly on Ebay, you can find it cheaper used. I have found it as low as $350.

nvafamilyman
06-16-2010, 09:21 AM
My problem ended up being the voice input control module, part of the optical loop for the audio system. If any of the devices on the loop go down the whole system does not work. The bad news is the part cost almost $900.

DrewBimmerGA
06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
My problem ended up being the voice input control module, part of the optical loop for the audio system. If any of the devices on the loop go down the whole system does not work. The bad news is the part cost almost $900.

I've been told its my voice input control module as well. I have a 2002 and it doesn't have the tray in the back to prevent moisture from getting to the compenents from the trunk hinge. They (BMW) say its water damage. I'm going to bypass it as soon as my MOST Bus jumper arrives (ordered it yesterday) and I'm taking the voice input control module to Electronic Masters (Duluth, GA) to see if they can fix it before I buy another one. They will look at it for free and they specialize in repairing car electronics.

nvafamilyman
06-16-2010, 01:08 PM
let me know how it goes, I was impatient and ordered a new one:( Where did you order your MOST BUS jumper? what do those run? I am told the cd changer usually goes next.

DrewBimmerGA
06-16-2010, 01:14 PM
let me know how it goes, I was impatient and ordered a new one:( Where did you order your MOST BUS jumper? what do those run? I am told the cd changer usually goes next.

http://www.bmwpartscounter.com/productSearch.aspx?searchTerm=61136917541

http://www.bmwpartscounter.com/productSearch.aspx?searchTerm=61136917978

The first one is the jumper and the second one is the connector. I got the information off of a posting on here. I'm taking it on Friday so I'll post what happens after that.

DrewBimmerGA
06-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Just an update. I bypassed my voice input control unit and everything is working fine. I had to modify the MOST jumper for it to fit but the service manager at the dealership told me how to do it. I cut off the end of the jumper, unplug the unit and plug this in and everything else is working (NAV, RADIO,etc). Since I never used the voice input anyway I may not even get it fixed or replace it. Here's a picture of the jumper after I modified it. I can take of picture of it connected in the car if anyone wants to see. It was very easy.

Jerry 745Li
06-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Is the voice input control unit located in the trunk?

jssmi765
06-22-2010, 08:41 PM
yes

OnlySkills
06-22-2010, 09:56 PM
glad you guys are getting this worked out...good luck on fixing the issue ! :thumbup:

Johnny Big
06-23-2010, 02:39 PM
You are right. Mine had the same problem and BMW by passed the voice control unit for $300 and now the radio and navigation works. It would have costed $2000 if the whole thing was replaced and i figured i could do without talking to the car.

Yancboy1
07-02-2010, 09:36 AM
@DrewBimmerGA Could you take a pic of it installed? i just ordered mine today and i have no idea what to do with it yet.

DrewBimmerGA
07-07-2010, 03:12 PM
@DrewBimmerGA Could you take a pic of it installed? i just ordered mine today and i have no idea what to do with it yet.

Just got back from vacation today. I'll take a pic tonight and post it.

DrewBimmerGA
07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Just got back from vacation today. I'll take a pic tonight and post it.

When you buy the jumper it won't fit. You will have to cut out the plastic part that covers the connections. The service tech told me I needed a hacksaw but I was able to cut it at the seams with some cutting pliers (not sure the right term). They cut pretty easy and just bend off.

After I connected I used a zip cord to keep it in place. You have to either use one or some tape or something. Otherwise it will not stay in place.

All you do is unplug from the unit and plug into the bus. Nothing else. You will know immediately that it work because the nav will come on in the back.

Yancboy1
07-11-2010, 09:25 PM
just installed the jumper and bypassed the module...now everything is back working...thanks

jeff67210
07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
DrewBimmerGA - Yes, I'd like to see that picture as well. Thanks.

jeff67210
07-12-2010, 07:39 PM
its ur radio when mine acted up, nav wasnt workin, no sound from radio, took it to a side audio and they send it off and rebuild my radio, often moisture gets in them and causes it to shut down.

Can you tell me where they send your radio for rebuild? Appreciate it if you could forward their contact number so I can ask them for estimate. Thanks so much.

csmooth79
07-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Drew, make sure you tip your SA or whoever helped you because it seems they are very knowledgeable and actually care about fixing the problem, unlike some others who say "either pay for us to try it or kick rocks"

atif85
08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Is anyone knows how to fix 2003 745i left side speakers system. i cant hear anything from them anymore ??? Please !!!!!!!!

N60B44
08-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Is anyone knows how to fix 2003 745i left side speakers system. i cant hear anything from them anymore ??? Please !!!!!!!!

sure! replace your L7 amp and or ask unit :)

atif85
08-16-2010, 10:19 PM
how much its cost ??? who is unit ??? thanks 4 reply.....

TechFreak
08-17-2010, 12:40 AM
who is unit ??? thanks 4 reply.....

The 'A.S.K. Unit' is the single CD Player fitted in your dash. :)

Has8223
08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi,

Got into my 2002 745i this afternoon... radio dead... i see the FM & AM but no sound and nothing works! Got an error a couple of days ago "Recharge Battery".... Please help... boring driving withouth hearing about the crime in South Africa...

irokdastar383
08-17-2010, 12:12 PM
are you getting any errors on the i drive screen?

Has8223
08-17-2010, 11:30 PM
No... all looks well on the screen but it seems as like only the radio and nav is not working. Still getting the "Recharge Battery" error when car is not started?

Has8223
08-18-2010, 12:47 PM
i have the same problem... aircon works but all other functions are dead. Did you manage to fix problem? Please help... beautiful car but no fun driving without music... Just had the windows tinted and problem started after that.

Has8223
08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey Tech Freak... help... my radio and nav is dead.. checked battery and it is fine.... radio just died after tinting... how do i fix? Where is the MOST ... Where is the FOC...

irokdastar383
08-19-2010, 10:45 AM
do aload test on the battery if its not good change it. in the 7 if your battery is low it will shut down power to the non essential components like radio nav .start there. take it to auto zone they can check it for u for free

Has8223
08-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Sir, did this and the battery tested at 100% no problems. I had tint placed on the windows and this poblem started after this. Any other ideas? Please help.

irokdastar383
08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
ok this is a problem alot of people had with the 02 7. when you do tint they have to spray liquid to get the tint on. the computer is right under the rear windows and if i am not mistaken i think they fried of the computers. i am sure teckfreak knows which one . i know this because one of my friend had the same issues

Has8223
08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
thanks... Maybe he can advise me on how to go about fixing the problem....?

Has8223
08-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi, please see problem i have with my 02 745i. i had tinting done and now have no sound on radio. checked battery which was fine. irokdastar says you can help. see threads... please help if you can...

N60B44
08-19-2010, 12:04 PM
ok this is a problem alot of people had with the 02 7. when you do tint they have to spray liquid to get the tint on. the computer is right under the rear windows and if i am not mistaken i think they fried of the computers. i am sure teckfreak knows which one . i know this because one of my friend had the same issues

Ha ha:) there are no computers if you call them computers:) under rear windows, all electronic blocks are located under the left rear fender, so they could not fry anything unless they poured some water in
The trunk!

N60B44
08-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi, please see problem i have with my 02 745i. i had tinting done and now have no sound on radio. checked battery which was fine. irokdastar says you can help. see threads... please help if you can...

Your amp l7 is dead :(

Has8223
08-19-2010, 12:11 PM
what is amp l7 and where do i find it so that i ca replace

irokdastar383
08-19-2010, 12:13 PM
no thats not true if it was dead he will still have the front speakers playing . because there powered by the cd player.

N60B44
08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
no thats not true if it was dead he will still have the front speakers playing . because there powered by the cd player.

Really???? Disconnect your L7 and you won't have any
Sound at all! Basically he has to bypass L7 and he would have sound with no bass coming from ask unit only. L7 is only for 5 speakers in tge car, the rest is ask unit operated.

Has8223
08-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Help.. how do i bypass... where do i find this unit and what do i do?

N60B44
08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Also when most bus is stuck you won't have any navigation working plus idrive is not responsive.
Most bus is everything in BMW, all multimedia is driven by fibre optic cables, if signal is lost - all devices are screwed up automatically. Looks like very few people here understand something in electronics.... Read something and life would be easier if you own a BMW

N60B44
08-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Help.. how do i bypass... where do i find this unit and what do i do?

go to the dealer and buy a new amp :thumbup: get ready to spend 1500$ or so..

or buy a MOST jumper and bypass it,, but in this case you won't have L7 sound.

if you in south africa your L7 is fried completely.

irokdastar383
08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
yes if there is a problem with the l7 he wont be able to use anything. but it will throw a code on the screen right away. has8223 can you take a picture or a video of ure car on and you trying to use your i drive system?

Has8223
08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Yes, i am in SA. $1500 in SA terms is a cart full of cash... don't care for the L7 sound just want the radio working... How do i go about bypassing with MOST jumper? thanks for reponse...

N60B44
08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes, i am in SA. $1500 in SA terms is a cart full of cash... don't care for the L7 sound just want the radio working... How do i go about bypassing with MOST jumper? thanks for reponse...

here is what you need :) copied Keif message:
Master Tinkerer
Mein auto: '97 E38, '02 E66
View My Garage

One of the items on the MOST bus ring has tanked or you have an issue with one of the fiberoptic cables. MOST = Media Oriented Systems Transport. A MOST bus jumper / FOC coupler (fiber optic couple) - part: MOST 61 13 6 917 541 - can be used to eliminate / bypass specific devices on the network until the offender is found. Before that, try pulling out the FOC in the the glove compartment fuse box for a few seconds to give a simple MOST bus reset a shot.

Has8223
08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
no need to ... i can explain... i see the telephone... blank screen for nav... only se FM & AM on radio... basically i see all the other options but am unable to do anything with them ...

TechFreak
08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
what is amp l7 and where do i find it so that i ca replace

I'd try turning the Battery Switch OFF in the Boot/Trunk ...then leave it for about 30 mins or so ....then turn it back ON and see if it's made any difference......:thumbup:

If it's still not working after that then (as mentioned above) your next step is to start bypassing each suspect Module with a MOST Bus Loop Connector.

N60B44
08-19-2010, 12:35 PM
yes if there is a problem with the l7 he wont be able to use anything. but it will throw a code on the screen right away. has8223 can you take a picture or a video of ure car on and you trying to use your i drive system?

its not going to throw any codes, you just cant operate your idrive at all :)

try it :) disconnect your L7, BTW its the same as reseting MOST bus :)

N60B44
08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd try turning the Battery Switch OFF ...then leave it for about 30 mins or so ....then turn it back ON and see if it's made any difference......:thumbup:

If it's still not working after that then your next step is to start bypassing each suspect Module with a MOST Bus Loop Connector.

Yeahh, also pray some gods, cross your fingers on both legs while standing :rofl:

N60B44
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
let the guy buy a jumper and feel happy:) tricks won't help find the faulty MOST device, but almost 100% its L7, at least strat from it.

TechFreak
08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeahh, also pray some gods, cross your fingers on both legs while standing :rofl:

..........................I wasn't joking !!!

Distribution mode

By switching over the battery switch to the OFF position, the power module goes into distribution mode function 30 minutes after Terminal R switches off. Before disconnecting, the power module sends out the "Shutdown" signal. After a further 90 seconds, the shut down is executed.

After terminal R On, a Check Control message is displayed to inform the driver that the vehicle is in the distribution mode.

When the signal terminal 15_w (from the Car Access System) is detected or the battery switch is set to ON (closed-circuit current monitoring), the electronic battery main switch is closed.

The vehicle can also be started and driven in the distribution mode. All systems are able to operate. The Check Control message remains active. With terminal R Off, the shutdown is initiated once again after 30 minutes as described above.

Power Down command

This function enables the control units to be placed in sleep mode.

Has8223
08-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks.. will try! where is the switch... i am an accountant and direction is what i need when it comes to technical matters

N60B44
08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
..........................I wasn't joking !!!

Distribution mode

By switching over the battery switch to the OFF position, the power module goes into distribution mode function 30 minutes after Terminal R switches off. Before disconnecting, the power module sends out the "Shutdown" signal. After a further 90 seconds, the shut down is executed.

After terminal R On, a Check Control message is displayed to inform the driver that the vehicle is in the distribution mode.

When the signal terminal 15_w (from the Car Access System) is detected or the battery switch is set to ON (closed-circuit current monitoring), the electronic battery main switch is closed.

The vehicle can also be started and driven in the distribution mode. All systems are able to operate. The Check Control message remains active. With terminal R Off, the shutdown is initiated once again after 30 minutes as described above.

Power Down command

This function enables the control units to be placed in sleep mode.

if MOST BUS reset didn't help.... nothing would help... already tried, battery off switch is located on the rear right fender. Just open the door where the battery is, on the top you will see a black switch with on and off, it was designed to prevent discharging battery when your car is istting more than a week withit driving.

TechFreak
08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks.. will try! where is the switch... i am an accountant and direction is what i need when it comes to technical matters

The Battery Switch is beside the (round Green) Emergency Fuel Filler Release which is in the top right in this photo : :thumbup:

http://www.xolmatic.com/xprojects/XE65/Maletero/IMG_9909.JPG

Has8223
08-19-2010, 01:09 PM
thanks... it is 10pm here.. can i leave it off overnight and check if all is well in the morning.... do i put back to on position in morning and check ?

TechFreak
08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
thanks... it is 10pm here.. can i leave it off overnight and check if all is well in the morning.... do i put back to on position in morning and check ?

Yep you can do that .....it may not make any difference but worth trying.

Has8223
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
thank you very much.. i will keep you posted... will sleep standing up, crossed fingers and pray that thsi fixes the problem otherwise i will just go to BMW and empty out my wallet, credit card and savings to fix the problem...

irokdastar383
08-19-2010, 03:03 PM
just make sure you have a key to open the trunk cause ure remote wont work

Has8223
08-19-2010, 11:30 PM
didn't need it this morning.... worked without the key... but still no radio... will remove the amp and send off for repairs..

RON7165994
08-20-2010, 08:23 AM
didn't need it this morning.... worked without the key... but still no radio... will remove the amp and send off for repairs..

where you sending your amp to???

TechFreak
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM

I'd buy a Most Bus Loop 1st to test the modules to be sure ....as DrewBimmer said earlier in this thread...........it just bypasses your AMP or module via fibre optic to see if the rest of the modules are working......

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5308994&postcount=27

Has8223
08-20-2010, 11:14 AM
will do... so the process is take the FOC out from the L7 unit and plug the MOST FOC that i buy into this? Is this correct?

Has8223
08-20-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm in South Africa... will have to send to some tech around here?

Has8223
08-20-2010, 11:27 AM
btw we checked if the L7 unit is getting power and it seems as if it is... but the cooling fan does not go on... a question, i see the FM, AM and cd on my screen but cannot access them ... could this fault not lie in the cd loading unit?

irokdastar383
08-20-2010, 11:51 AM
do a test on ure cd loader and dvd loader also. if all fails its propably the radio tuner

TechFreak
08-20-2010, 12:44 PM
will do... so the process is take the FOC out from the L7 unit and plug the MOST FOC that i buy into this? Is this correct?

Yep...correct ! :thumbup:

Yancboy1
08-22-2010, 12:03 AM
@ Has8223
The tint ppl let the fluid run down to your Voice control unit...same thing happened to me and a number of other ppl. Bypass it wit a most bus jumper and it will work fine

Has8223
08-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Thanks... that sounds vey logical... which unit is the voice control unit? is it the L7 or is it the one above this?

Has8223
08-24-2010, 12:15 PM
took the car to BMW today... in south african rands it cost R500 ($70) to fix... it was the voice control unit.... they tried to sc%$# me over but i told the technician to try what techfreak said i should and it worked like a charm... thanks to all you international BMW freaks!

Has8223
08-24-2010, 12:18 PM
btw..heres a picture...http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af141/Has8223/Photo0103.jpg

Ryan@PiTech
09-01-2010, 03:56 PM
New member, having the exact same problem as Has8223. I have replaced the Voice Control unit, L7 amp, tried restetting FOC ring from under the dash, jumping every module, and resetting the battery master.....With no luck. All of my speakers are popping at random times too.......:mad::mad::mad:

2004 745i..its killing me. I would rather not take it to the dealer and get scr3wed.

Ryan@PiTech
09-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Nobody? I have read just about every post on the 745i radio issues...i think i have tried about everything..anyone have any ideas?

Has8223
09-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Had a similar problem... it is the speakers... change them....

Ryan@PiTech
09-02-2010, 10:33 PM
If it is the speaker, why do none of the presets show up on the am/fm, the nav screen blank and the hands-free not working? Like I said, I am having almost the EXACT same problem you had, but I have done everything you have done with no positive results. Do you think maybe i need to get the software/firmware updated or something?? I am new to the BMW world, but work on imports/domestics all day long.

Has8223
09-03-2010, 11:38 AM
bypass the L7... if you still get sound then problem lies there. If not, do what i did, take it to the nearest bmw and let them diagnose... i was surprised because in ZAR terms it costed me R500 to fix ($70).... my speakers also pop at times, if you find a cure, let me know.

Ryan@PiTech
09-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I did bypass the L7 but still no presets....I am going to bite the bullet and take it to BMW.....

Has8223
09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
That is your best bet... remember to take some KY Jelly along because thay can scr%$ you at times... Good luck....

Ryan@PiTech
09-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Yea, i figured they would. I co-own a shop but we work primarly on imports, domestics and bikes...Not to many vw/audi/bmw and exotics. I have also worked for dealers and i know they charge a ton of money:mad::mad: Well, im gonna go drop it off and see what they have to say. Poor wallet:bawling:

Has8223
09-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi,

Did they manage to fix issue?

PAPER
09-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Ok yesterday my nav screen froze up . After letting the car sit
for about 20 minutes I started it up & the only thing on the
screen is am , fm with no stations & the cd & cd changer are grey .
Now I have a jumper so I used it on the Voice control unit & on the NAV UNIT
& it did not change . what other unit should I try using the jumper on ???

Does any 1 in my area ( L.A. ) happen to have the software
or unit that can plug into OBD to see what's wrong ? I would
rather try that before going to the stealer & be ripped off !!!

sorry I forgot to mention that right before this happen .
I stopped at a store & I noticed that my steering wheel
stopped auto moving out of the way when turning off
the car . It was working right before that as it did move
into place when I started the car & parked earlier yesterday .

Has8223
09-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Get a diagnosis from BMW before putting your fingers where they don't belong.... Diag is not expensive... once you know what is wrong, the rest is easy...

PAPER
09-15-2010, 01:48 AM
unfortunately they can't see my car til next week :cry:
but here is a pic of the nav screen . I also discovered
that there is no red light on the most bus loop in the
glove box , nor is there a red light on the voice control
module plug in the trunk . Pic is of the tuner radio screen
& the nav screen .

Has8223
09-15-2010, 02:27 AM
My screen looked the same! Check the MOST BUs Loop in the glove box... Unplug this for a few minutes and replug... the problem seems similar to mine...one of your units is dead... if all else fails, get hold of TECHFREAK, he is the guru on the moving computers we drive! You have a break somewehere in your fibreoptics if you do not have the red light...

PAPER
09-15-2010, 04:17 PM
My screen looked the same! Check the MOST BUs Loop in the glove box... Unplug this for a few minutes and replug... the problem seems similar to mine...one of your units is dead... if all else fails, get hold of TECHFREAK, he is the guru on the moving computers we drive! You have a break somewehere in your fibreoptics if you do not have the red light...

thank you , I sent him a message .

TechFreak
09-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Have you got the Logic 7 Amp fitted in the trunk ?

It's the most common module to fail.....try using the MOST Bus jumper that too. :thumbup:

You'll need to remove the trunk liner to get to it.

PAPER
09-17-2010, 01:16 AM

It's the most common module to fail.....try using the MOST Bus jumper that too. :thumbup:

yes I do have the l7 in the trunk, but would that cause the screen problems
& wouldn't the front speakers still play if it was the l7 .

I will try the jumper on the L7 tomorrow .

PAPER
09-17-2010, 06:24 PM

ok I looped the L7 & then the voice control module & the nav
had a red light , but there was no change to the screen & there
is still no red light in the glove box . the cd player is still the
same with only the light around the knob but does not eject the cd ,
& the changer is still the same it makes noise & if I hit eject it
still ejects the cartridge .

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ???

Has8223
09-20-2010, 09:53 AM
your cd changer is stuffed... have it checked.... what did bmw advise?

PAPER
09-20-2010, 03:54 PM
your cd changer is stuffed... have it checked.... what did bmw advise?

BMW made me an appointment for friday .
What do you mean the cd changer is stuffed ?

Has8223
09-22-2010, 12:42 PM
you've tried everything else.... have you checked the cd player?

PAPER
09-22-2010, 03:23 PM
you've tried everything else.... have you checked the cd player?

no , I am going to try that today by putting in another ask unit .

PAPER
09-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Ok it's not th ask unit , put in a working 1 & still
gave the same problem . WE ALSO noticed there
was no red light coming from the fiber optic .

Has8223
09-23-2010, 07:57 AM
break somewhere in the fibre optics... did you the MOST BUS swap on all the units?

PAPER
09-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Today I tore the car apart & looped everything I found with a fiber optic line in it .
I'm still having the same problem except now everything has the red light on the
fiber optics . I did notice that the entire car reset & my clock time went blank .
So I'm going to try another ask unit now that I have power there & the red light from fiber optics .

PAPER
09-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Ok I have some good new's & some bad news . 1'st unfortunately
I could not drop my car off at the dealer today because I recieved
a call from my daughters school when I was on my way to drop the
car off at the dealer . My daughter was not feeling well & had a high temp .
So I picked her up & took her to urgent care at Kaiser & was there
most of the day . I am thankful she is fine now with a minor stomach flu
which we were given a prescription for .

Now back to the car , I & a friend discovered the ask unit I tried the
other day was no good . So tonight we took out his ASK unit & tried
it in my car . To my surprise it did not work right away . We had to
let the car goto sleep to reset itself ( wait 15 minutes ) . then I turned
on the car & everything was back to normal & working . So now I just
need to buy a new ASK unit . I found a place in San fernando valley
that sells them for $150 . There is also a member on here ( 3ITs ) in
Detroit that has a few , so I sent him a message to see what he will
charge for 1 .

Has8223
10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
$150 is cheap....Take it! In SA i was quoted ZAR12500 minimum... congrats on fixing the headache... hope the kid is better!

PAPER
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
$150 is cheap....Take it! In SA i was quoted ZAR12500 minimum... congrats on fixing the headache... hope the kid is better!

My Daughter is great now , thanks for mentioning her .
I am actually going to install the ASK unit I got from ( 3ITs )
later today when I get home . I'll be glad to finally have some
sound back in the car :D

TheQ
10-09-2010, 12:32 PM
How much did you pay for the ASK and how to contact the seller? Thanks.

RON7165994
10-09-2010, 10:23 PM
i had got one for 125 it did the same thing did not work thay had 3 i tryed all 3 did not work but i did not know about the sleep thing need to go back and try it again

Hadi JD
10-22-2010, 04:07 PM
I just recently purchase a 2002 745li. Once I had tint placed on the windows, my radio went out! I was frustrated because the vehicle already messed up after 2 days of ownership! Its a pristine condition, dealer maintained and babied 1 owner 745li. I bought it only because of its immaculate condition.

I called my buddy Julian, owner of Bemer Houston, and he looked at my car today. He told me the VOICE INPUT MODULE CONTROL is bad, and that he can bypass the system. I immediately started searching google and found this forum. Great! Although I love to work on my cars personally with my Houston buddies, I told him to go ahead and bypass it. Hopefully that will solve my problems.

Its nice to meet everyone!

Seven11
10-22-2010, 08:44 PM
I just recently purchase a 2002 745li. Once I had tint placed on the windows, my radio went out! I was frustrated because the vehicle already messed up after 2 days of ownership! Its a pristine condition, dealer maintained and babied 1 owner 745li. I bought it only because of its immaculate condition.

I called my buddy Julian, owner of Bemer Houston, and he looked at my car today. He told me the VOICE INPUT MODULE CONTROL is bad, and that he can bypass the system. I immediately started searching google and found this forum. Great! Although I love to work on my cars personally with my Houston buddies, I told him to go ahead and bypass it. Hopefully that will solve my problems.

Its nice to meet everyone!

if they were tinting your windows they could have damged your electronics,

water drips down and gets to the left rear corner of the trunk, where pretty much all the electronics are

its actually a common problem, people that know how to tint 745s and 750s put a towel on the electronics in the trunk to avoid this issue

samba_vip
12-23-2010, 11:38 PM
When you buy the jumper it won't fit. You will have to cut out the plastic part that covers the connections. The service tech told me I needed a hacksaw but I was able to cut it at the seams with some cutting pliers (not sure the right term). They cut pretty easy and just bend off.

After I connected I used a zip cord to keep it in place. You have to either use one or some tape or something. Otherwise it will not stay in place.

All you do is unplug from the unit and plug into the bus. Nothing else. You will know immediately that it work because the nav will come on in the back.

Hi there I have the same problem. after tinting the back window, the navigation, radio, and audio system not working.

I need to buy the jumper and check (the Control unit, voice input system).

From where can I buy the jumper? Please help. very upset no sound system is working on my 03 745i.

Calleros5079
12-24-2010, 04:04 AM
On my 745 LI 03, my gps is not working, it was working fine, is asking me to insert the cd, of course the cd is up load in to the divice, any suggestions?

Cubfan
06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I've tried reseting the MOST BUS by pulling it out and plugging back in. I've tried cutting power to the entire and let it drain a bit (unpluged the battery). Not really to sure what to do from here. Any suggestions? Thank you!![/QUOTE]

This is located in glove compartment correct? I'm I pulling this with a fuse puller?

bigmyyke
07-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm having the same issue and read a lot of what people post yet have no idea where to purchase the FOC/ MOST bus. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thank you so much in advance.

PAPER
11-09-2011, 05:19 PM
:yikes:

Has8223
11-09-2011, 09:31 PM
buy a most bus jumper and disconnect one module at a time and test. Have you tried hooking her up to a launch or GT system?

mel01
12-26-2011, 11:46 PM
hey gents i need you help.i just got a 745i 2002 and the L7 radio is messing around.it plays for 6 seconds than cuts of then comes on then cuts out again.same applies to the fone,i cant have a call longer than 6seconds before it cuts out.what could be the problem?

N62b44
12-27-2011, 09:10 AM
On my 745 LI 03, my gps is not working, it was working fine, is asking me to insert the cd, of course the cd is up load in to the divice, any suggestions?

Replace the laser first. If it does not help you have mainboard issues

mregalado89
01-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase a MOST Bus jumper. The website that was recommended back in 2010 is no longer available. The website that had the parts is below. any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.bmwpartscounter.com/produ...rm=61136917541

http://www.bmwpartscounter.com/produ...rm=61136917978

The first one is the jumper and the second one is the connector. I got the information off of a posting on here. I'm taking it on Friday so I'll post what happens after that.

bmw745li01
01-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Can you break down the procdess you did to resolve?

jssmi765
01-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I replaced the ASK and bypassed the CD changer, NAV system, LOGIC7 amp each separately with an extra loop which I purchased, all to no avail. The only thing I have not tried bypassing is the radio tuner which I cannot figure out how to access, I know where it is, but not how to get to it.

bmw745li01
01-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Could you please tell me how I would go about bypassing each of the Control Units? Where exactly might they be located? I went down to BMW and asked just to borrow a MOST BUS LOOP and of course I already knew the answer before I even asked. It was "No. You must buy it.". And I of coursed ask if I could return it if it didn't work. Same answer "No". Now I have no problem going out and actually spending the $40 if thats what you think might work. What might you recommend? Again thanks for the reply.Did you ever receive a response to your question?

bmw745li01
01-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Did you ever receive a response to your question?

AceFX
01-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Good morning PAPER, I am glad to hear all is well with your daughter....

All you guys that lost Radio and GPS etc after window tinting. A problem that has happened to many owners here in OZ is this.

As you are aware all the antennas reside in the rear window. If you get your rear window tinted with metal particle film, which is nice and dark and will last a long time, it is guaranteed to interfere even cancel completely your cars ability to receive signals.

After my car was tinted, I lost everything. I went back to another tinter and he pointed out that you cannot use metal particle tint on the rear window for that very reason. He removed the metal particle tint, and replaced it with a special tint designed for windows that have antennas in them, and I got full radio and GPS etc all back.

So I am just wondering for those of you who have lost signal after getting the window tinted, check to see if you have had your windows tinted with the metal particle tint. It is cheaper than the correct tint that you should use on your rear window, but I know this worked for me and fixed my signal loss.

AceFX
01-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Here is a link to the MOST bus circuit diagram. It is important to note that each device produces it's own light to send to the next device. If you have lost light arriving at one device, I would be looking to the device before it to see why it is not producing the light to send to the next device. Each device has it's own receiver and a light transmitter/producer. From what I have read and learned, the light doesn't start anywhere, each device produces it's own light to transmit..... that's what I have learned and understand so far.

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg/sp/SP0000018308.svg?m=e65

jssmi765
01-26-2012, 07:36 PM
No I have not.

Has8223
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
disconnect 1 module at a time and plug in most bus loop then switch on car. in other words, disconnect the gps, plug in most bus loop and test and so on. Have you plugged the car in to GT1 or DIS or launch system to test modules? Have you tried disconnecting the most bus loop and reconnecting? Have you checked battery voltage? Have you tried to do reset of all systems? go here for repair manuals: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/e65/745i_(N62)

jssmi765
01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
The only module I have not been able to test independently is the radio unit... I know where it is but I haven't been able to find instructions on accessing it, I don't want to tear apart the interior getting to it. Battery voltage is good (tested), I have reset the systems and disconnected/reconnected the most bus loop. I don't have access to a GT1 or DIS.

Has8223
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahr4fK-rI_I
try link above... get the car diagnosed before digging any further. Have you had the L7 tested and did you recode the ASK unit?

PAPER
01-26-2012, 10:51 PM
The only module I have not been able to test independently is the radio unit... I know where it is but I haven't been able to find instructions on accessing it, I don't want to tear apart the interior getting to it. Battery voltage is good (tested), I have reset the systems and disconnected/reconnected the most bus loop. I don't have access to a GT1 or DIS.

so you tested the amp , voice module , cd changer , navi unit & the rest of
the stuff in the loop ??? if you tested all that & the problem is still there ,
then it must be your radio ( Ask unit )

what exactly is your problem ???what is your radio doing ???

jae.g00die
02-04-2012, 01:13 PM
my navi radio cd,etc went out so i read the fourm and i took the (foc)most coupler out of glovebox and tried on navi it dident work and when i pluged my foc most coupler back in the glove box i get all kinds of error messeges like (abs out, systronic out cruise contol out ac doesent and power steering dont work pleaseeeeeee help what should i do thanks alot jack jae.good@mail.com p.s. i went out n bought another coupler and it dident work either

weebee290
04-17-2012, 02:38 PM
\

unvecchiomac
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Yep...correct ! :thumbup:

thanks for all the posts and links, was able to trace my problem the the ASK unit, replaced unit and all is right with the world. this is a great forum for the novice or DIYS car geek.

resistro
01-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Got a similar problem trying to diagnose MOST bus.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=671068

Here's my problem:

"BMW" is only displayed (PIC#1)on the navigation screen (unless I break the MOST fiber loop-more info later). Wont do anything! No radio, chime, voice control, ect.

I tried that trick to bypass modules (ASK CD player, Voice Controller, CD changer, L7 Amp, Tuner) to exclude them from the MOST bus but not seem to be gaining any ground. I took that factory fiber loop from the glove box to bypass these modules.....

FYI: I did not have to purchase a spare, I just took the loop connector apart and connected the two end together (the fiber ends in the glove PIC #3)-this seemed to do the trick. It seems if ring bus is broke the red LED does flash, when connected red LED stays light. I took the actual fiber optic line out of the connector housing and used it for bypassing.

......1) when I used the 'fiber loop' to bypass any the modules in the trunk and including the ASK or CD changer in the dash (PIC #5), nothing happens. 'BMW' logo will still be displayed on the screen.
2) when i take any of the modules out of the network ring (unplugging ANY of the modules-not 'bypassing' anything) I DO GET the 'accept' prompt on the nav display (PIC#7) and can navigate through some functions but can operate only the climate functions. No Nav(PIC#8) or radio (PIC#9), chime, ect. I can only scroll through.
3) I also tried that trick to go into the MOST diagnostic screen (PIC#10), but nothing comes up under the 'MOST' menu. Again, the only way can control anything on the Nav display is when the MOST fiber ring is broke. If I try to connect the fiber ring back together at that point, it will just freeze on whatever is display I have up.
4) Nav disk DVD does seem to spin and eject fine. Although I have noticed it will still spin when the ignition is off.
5) Dash CD player seems to a spin the CD, but no sound of course.
6) CD changer tries to eject a the cartridge. But it never worked anyway.
7) All the modules seem to be transmitting light via the fiber.

Basically, the 'BMW' logo stays on when everything is connected and I cant do anything.

I got my whole car torn apart and need some advise on what to do next?
Do I need some software to reset the ghost errors after bypassing each module?

resistro
05-04-2013, 01:54 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7324530&highlight=#post7324530

PABMWowner
09-08-2013, 04:16 AM
Hi Drewbimmer GA,

Can you post of pic of the modified jumper connected. I'd like to try too...my 2003 745li the radio goes in and out..i'll try what you did but not sure how to do it? thanks for any help you or any one can offer. Thank you. Bob of Jersey Shore, PA

fmahjobi
01-07-2014, 03:36 PM

I have the same issue with my car. The iDrive is unresponsive, the single CD and CD changer are greyed out. I can attempt to change selections, but no changes will take place. Also the screen freezes completely after 20 minutes of driving and shortly after the screen goes blank. After a restart goes back to the BMW message prompt and same thing again.

I have read a few post on this forum and purchased the fibre-optic-jumper from BMW. I tried to jump out the Nav, Voice Input, Phone and the Amplifier in the rear-left of the trunk. But it did not make any difference.

I have not attempted to jump out the Single CD/CD changer yet. I don't know how hard it is go get to them in the dash. But they could also be bad as well, right?

On another note, I have also heard that an older/bad battery may cause this as well. Don't know how that could be. But my battery is 10 years old and still works perfectly with 12.4 volts off and 15 volts on. I have never had an issue with the battery.

Other strange things:
- "Dynamic Drive Inactive" status also shows up once in a while.

Anyone could recommend what I should be checking for next?

Thanks in advance.

TechFreak
01-07-2014, 04:51 PM
I have the same issue with my car. The iDrive is unresponsive, the single CD and CD changer are greyed out. I can attempt to change selections, but no changes will take place. Also the screen freezes completely after 20 minutes of driving and shortly after the screen goes blank. After a restart goes back to the BMW message prompt and same thing again.

I have read a few post on this forum and purchased the fibre-optic-jumper from BMW. I tried to jump out the Nav, Voice Input, Phone and the Amplifier in the rear-left of the trunk. But it did not make any difference.

I have not attempted to jump out the Single CD/CD changer yet. I don't know how hard it is go get to them in the dash. But they could also be bad as well, right?

On another note, I have also heard that an older/bad battery may cause this as well. Don't know how that could be. But my battery is 10 years old and still works perfectly with 12.4 volts off and 15 volts on. I have never had an issue with the battery.

Other strange things:
- "Dynamic Drive Inactive" status also shows up once in a while.

Anyone could recommend what I should be checking for next?

Thanks in advance.

Check your ASK module (single CD player in dash)

Post #131 above shows the video on how to remove it.

Also read this thread too :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740962

SuperSnoop
01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
A battery on its way out can cause strange things to happen. The car is designed to actively manage the power draw for each of the up-to 72 different modules installed in the car. A bad battery can also cause that dynamic drive error. Get it replaced and PROPERLY registered with the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Stivar123
01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Get hold of another MOST BUS LOOP Connector (same as the one in the glove box) then bypass each Control Unit in the trunk/boot... one at a time. ;)

Hopefully when you bypass the faulty control unit other functions will appear on the IDrive indicating which unit is having the problem.

How do you bypass a control unit example : logic 7 amplifier
Like you just plug the MOST bus in the control unit harness or what?

fmahjobi
01-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks for your reply. I will try the battery replacement after I test the single CD & CD changer in the dash. By the way, mine is 2004 e65 and I have read that this model does _NOT_ require battery registration.

TechFreak
01-13-2014, 06:06 PM
'ALL' E65's require Battery Registration.....regardless of year.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using BimmerApp mobile app

mik15
03-16-2014, 12:00 AM
hey guys,

having the same problem on my '06 750Li, it all started a couple of weeks ago and it was initially randomly happening so i didn't really pay much attention, i blamed initially the Navigation DVD which is not original, so i put back the original one and it did the trick for a few hours then problem came back. What it does is, Sat Nav screen goes black, then the sound cuts off and the whole unit restarts and sat nav comes back, this was the beginning because yesterday it got frozen with a black Sat Nav screen, a dead idrive joystick and the only thing i could see on the screen was the main menu but couldn't navigate through it.

When a CD is in either the ASK unit or CD-changer it does play, when it's not frozen, so i guess these would be ok?!

I have ordered the MOST Bus Loop and will start troubleshooting the modules. My car was tinted 4 months ago so i guess it has nothing to do with it since it worked alright so far.
Will update this as soon as i have news. I do hope i will fix it as i really love the car and don't want to ditch it because of this issue.

datpoet
03-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Okay so here's my problem I don't know if its unique but my my passenger side speakers are not working and everytime I put in my ask radio if I leave it in and I'll leave car in two days it will drain my battery not to mention there seems to be an aftermarket am Alpine amp installed in the trunk I disconnected it and I'm not giving any much difference the speakers on my driver side work but they keep cutting in and out any suggestions

PAPER
03-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Okay so here's my problem I don't know if its unique but my my passenger side speakers are not working and everytime I put in my ask radio if I leave it in and I'll leave car in two days it will drain my battery not to mention there seems to be an aftermarket am Alpine amp installed in the trunk I disconnected it and I'm not giving any much difference the speakers on my driver side work but they keep cutting in and out any suggestions

sounds like you need a new Ask unit ...

datpoet
03-22-2014, 08:42 AM
.that's what I thought. any thoughts on the aftermarket Alpine amp screwed to the top of my trunk. I disconnected it doesn't seem to make a difference I mean a little bass is gone but nothing else.

PAPER
03-22-2014, 01:39 PM
.that's what I thought. any thoughts on the aftermarket Alpine amp screwed to the top of my trunk. I disconnected it doesn't seem to make a difference I mean a little bass is gone but nothing else.

Take some pics & post them , so we can
get an idea of what it's doing

datpoet
03-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Ok in about 2 hours.

datpoet
03-23-2014, 02:01 AM
Sorry had to reset password...anyway these are some pics.

mik15
04-06-2014, 10:11 PM
hey guys,

finally got the MOST jumper and have bypassed one by one all modules located in the trunk, except the L7, however the problem is the same with a few differences:

- when the BT or Voice module were bypassed the system wouldn't restart so often as before, in fact it would work even for an hour or more continuously without interruptions,
- when the Nav. or TV were bypassed the system would restart at a much higher frequency and every time it came back it did without any bass sound

Now all modules are connected back, it still restarts and again, most of the time the sound comes back without a bass sound. When the system does work all modules work, so this puzzles me, if there was one which doesn't work shouldn't be obvious as in it simply doesn't work...!?

My question is: should i also bypass the L7? is there a way to be sure that it is the ASK module?

Thanks a lot!

bmw7serie
05-15-2014, 05:11 PM
can someone show me where foc fuse is to remove in the glove compartment for a bmw 745i thanks.

PAPER
05-15-2014, 05:17 PM
can someone show me where foc fuse is to remove in the glove compartment for a bmw 745i thanks.

PLEASE use the SEARCH feature , there is a Diagram copy of
the Fuse placement someplace in this section .

fonzo123
06-06-2014, 06:30 AM
I have a question can someone give me a better description of the loop in the glove box? Do I have to take the glove box out or the loop is in were the fuses are can someone help please my 745i is doing the same and I need my radio lol thank u

745itrey28
09-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Hey 03 745i problem everything works except. When I switch to nav it's an all black screen. The controls on steering wheel doesn't work. Except volume and switch songs. All my speakers work, all parts on idrive work fine. Door chime works, alarm etc just no nav. Please help

745itrey28
09-05-2014, 10:20 PM
I have a lollipop. How can u loop the voice control module? Mine does not fit for some reason

fonzo123
09-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Take a pic of ur loop and were can u buy that loop at

fonzo123
09-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Everyone is saying it's the Indash unit were the cd goes in

745itrey28
09-05-2014, 10:45 PM
I know the one in the glove box behind the panel. Is their a different one for the voice control mod?

TechFreak
09-06-2014, 02:52 AM
Hi Fonzo and 745....what's the problem your both having it's not very clear in this thread ?

The MOST Bus Loop Connector that's in the glove box is just a fibre optic link connector for diagnostics only (do not remove it)....it's only useful for resetting the system (reboot of all modules in the car).

All communication's in the car for ALL modules is via fibre optic cable (physical light).

Each module in the car has 2 fibre optic cables connected ...one is transmit in and the other is transmit out....which creates one big loop in the car.

If a module is faulty or fails to boot it is bypassed but still maintains the fibre optic loop as it's just light.

fonzo123
09-06-2014, 07:44 PM
What I meant to say was that it's ur Indash CD player that is causing all that ur dealing with 462964