PDA

View Full Version : Reference - Removing the trim on a 750

visualg
02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
If anyone needs to know how to remove any of the external trim on the 750, I now know how to remove all the pieces.. I just finished blacking out my 750, took roughly 4 hours to remove all the trim and didn't break one clip!!!! I also took some photos of the harder trim pieces coming off, so if anyone wants to see those, I'll toss them up as well.

gman750
02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
i wannasee

bogan
02-01-2010, 12:07 PM
pix please.

visualg
02-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I'll load some of the photos up tonight.

pigeon
02-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, please! The driver's door window trim is starting to pull up on my car and I'd hate to have to pay the dealer to replace it, and I really want to see why it's pulling up (is there rust forming under there?!?). I've done trim replacement on other cars and it was easy but never tried it on my BMWs.

bmw74me
02-01-2010, 04:21 PM
yes please that will be great.

BobSC
02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Looking forward to pics!

solefood21
02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Right behind everyone else on the pics...

visualg
02-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Here's the photos of the trim removal. All the photos are taken on the Driver side rear door, the process is basically the same for all the windows. The trim piece that I didn't take photos of was the lower outside stainless steel piece that rides along the length of the window. It's pretty easy to remove, just need a large wedge shaped tool to remove it, starting from the back of the door. Wedge the tool under the trim and slowly work your way to the front of the door, be very careful not to force to much movement on the trim, you don't want to bend it. It takes a little time to get the piece to come up, but it will come.. I may take a photo of just that to show how it's done.

If anyone has questions, I'm pretty sure I can help you out..

pigeon
02-01-2010, 05:26 PM
That long straight piece is the one I need the look at. Are there any fasteners holding it on, glue, friction?

visualg
02-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Here's some photos of us painting the pieces. After sanding for hours, I think it was roughly 4 hours of sanding with 320 then 400. We used two type of PGT paint on top of the DP90 Primer, chrome pieces on the bumper, rear chrome strip on the truck and stainless steel on the roof line. Was painted with the single stage gloss black.. All the trim around the window was done with a black paint reduced to 80% gloss. Sorry for the bad photos, these were taken with a bad camera..

visualg
02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
That long one is real easy.. Start in the center of the roof and pull up a few inches, then slowly work to the back of the car, pulling up a inch or so at a time. there's two different clips holding that piece in place. once you get the back up an inch then move back to the front of the car. Then start over at the center again, pulling up another inch, then back to the back of the car then back to the front.. once you start seeing the clips, you'll understand how then release. Just make sure to leave the front for last as the trim goes under the weatherstripping under the hood. So you will need to pull it out, not lifting it straight up.. it's good to have two people to help you manage this piece.. if you need anymore help then this, just tell me, I can take a photo or two..

visualg
02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Here's the finished look.. looks just like the sport option without the cost. Sorry, the car is pretty dirt in these photos. :-(

pigeon
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I meant the horizontal piece that the parts catalog describes as the door external weatherstripping - the one on the outside of the car that you rest your arm on when the window's down.

visualg
02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
oops, I know which one you mean.. I described that removal up top in this thread:

"The trim piece that I didn't take photos of was the lower outside stainless steel piece that rides along the length of the window. It's pretty easy to remove, just need a large wedge shaped tool to remove it, starting from the back of the door. Wedge the tool under the trim and slowly work your way to the front of the door, be very careful not to force to much movement on the trim, you don't want to bend it. It takes a little time to get the piece to come up, but it will come.."

It's held on by friction .. I used a wedge like tool with a large piece of thin plastic 1/16" thick so not to damage the paint.. placed the plastic down and then pushed in the wedge starting from the rear of the window and moving forward. If you need a photo of how I did it, I'll take a photo for you..

Wilassasin
02-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Great job visualg, u saved ur self some money and it looks perfect!

TechFreak
08-21-2010, 04:45 AM
oops, I know which one you mean.. I described that removal up top in this thread:

"The trim piece that I didn't take photos of was the lower outside stainless steel piece that rides along the length of the window. It's pretty easy to remove, just need a large wedge shaped tool to remove it, starting from the back of the door. Wedge the tool under the trim and slowly work your way to the front of the door, be very careful not to force to much movement on the trim, you don't want to bend it. It takes a little time to get the piece to come up, but it will come.."

It's held on by friction .. I used a wedge like tool with a large piece of thin plastic 1/16" thick so not to damage the paint.. placed the plastic down and then pushed in the wedge starting from the rear of the window and moving forward. If you need a photo of how I did it, I'll take a photo for you..

To get the bottom wedge pieces of trim back on you have to use the double handed press down method ....as if your trying to get someone's heart going again ....LOL

visualg
08-24-2010, 05:39 AM
TechFreak is right.. it's a hard piece to get back on.. I used a rubber mallet to tap it back on, just make sure your window is down.. you can even apply a little soap to allow it to slip on easier.. but don't overdo it with the soap..

jim