PDA

View Full Version : Will Auxillary Audio adapter retrofit kit...

nealh
10-11-2003, 07:07 PM
allow one to hook up any external audio device..sucha as a casette player

My BMW dealer says no

Terry Kennedy
10-11-2003, 07:18 PM

My BMW dealer says noThe BMW Aux Input option for MY 2003 and newer cars? Yes - it just gives you an input jack in the glove box. You can plug anything that has a mini plug into it.

doeboy
10-11-2003, 07:33 PM

My BMW dealer says no

The guy you spoke to at your dealer is :smokin: some good stuff...

:loco:

Like Terry said.... you can plug in anything that has a 1/8" mini plug...

nealh
10-12-2003, 05:05 AM
Thanks

I was pretty sure but the General Manager I am working with on getting some equipment changed said his service/parts guy said an MP3 only..I said that makes no sense very politely as BMW is not selling a MP3 for it so I should be able to plug anything in it...

This all started because when I bought my 03 530i I wanted to listen to audiobooks and was told the only way was to swap cd player for cassette but no one said I would not be able to hook up the BMW Sirius receiever with the cassette unit.

So I find out this Aux adapter about $60 can do it with the cd player in place..I was annoyed so I have asked to swap back and I will pay to install the adapter, BMW Sirius receiver and will buy the receiver if they match Circle BMW prices.

I am always amazed at how the salesman know so little about their product..one post on RF board and I find out about the Aux adapter...I never needed the casssette player and I will pay for that screw up now...

I guess my dealer is not so up on addon stuff.. I would think others ould have asked this before me

avionics12
10-12-2003, 06:08 AM
I am always amazed at how the salesman know so little about their product..one post on RF board and I find out about the Aux adapter...I never needed the casssette player and I will pay for that screw up now...

I guess my dealer is not so up on addon stuff.. I would think others ould have asked this before me

Your situation and many others before show the very value of Bimmerfest. By ourselves we learn painfully. :bawling: Together we learn joyfully. :D

It has been my experience that trying to share this knowledge with the dealers in my area only serves to push them away. God forbid that the customer knows something that they don't. :angel:

Wouldn't it be nice if the dealers monitored these information goldmines? I still wonder why they don't. :dunno:

OBS3SSION
10-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Er, the AUX adapter can be had for $39... less with the BMW CCA discount. Check your prices, and don't overpay like many parts departments seem to force you to do.

Oh, and I use my AUX adapter for my XM tuner! A) My nav headunit isn't compatable with the BMW Sirius, B) Even if it was, the BMW Sirius unit is overpriced.

Now, if my use of the AUX adapter isn't the ultimate "in your face" to BMW, I don't know what is.

nealh
10-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Er, the AUX adapter can be had for $39... less with the BMW CCA discount. Check your prices, and don't overpay like many parts departments seem to force you to do.

Oh, and I use my AUX adapter for my XM tuner! A) My nav headunit isn't compatable with the BMW Sirius, B) Even if it was, the BMW Sirius unit is overpriced.

Now, if my use of the AUX adapter isn't the ultimate "in your face" to BMW, I don't know what is.

Oh I was told at RF by someone the discounted price on the Aux adapter was $57...I will get a better price thanks

My concern is that the cassette HU at this point may not work with the Aux adapter..I tell that was a really stupid swap I made but I had no idea and clearly the sales staff was not well informed..very sad..because it will cost me quite a few dollars to get this fixed...

I figured if I went to General Manager and asked to swap casette back for cd with only buying the aux adapter and labor I would for sure get a big NO..that is why I offered to get the Sirius receiver too..at Circle BMW price..

It was funny when I told the General manager there was an Aux adapter that was like $60 he was like that would have been so much easier than getting a cassette HU(he claims they swapped with a car in GA a cassette for cd player HU..the other BMW dealership I was talking with was just going to get from ther parts dept....My dealer found a hard and huge hassle way to get it ....). He says they had no idea..this dealership is seeming more clueless by the day...

Though I guess I should find out if the auxillary adapter will work on a cassette HU...

Just noticed you commented about the Nav HU which as a cassette..I bet the aux adapter will work on cassette HU...HMM..maybe Iwill skip the nice Sirius integration and go a cheaper route...

OBS3SSION
10-14-2003, 05:17 AM
Just noticed you commented about the Nav HU which as a cassette..I bet the aux adapter will work on cassette HU...HMM..maybe Iwill skip the nice Sirius integration and go a cheaper route...

My NAV is the new for '03 model that has a CD instead of cassette. I would not have gotten the NAV if it had cassette, and changed my order to include NAV once I learned I'd get CD.

nealh
10-14-2003, 06:16 AM
My NAV is the new for '03 model that has a CD instead of cassette. I would not have gotten the NAV if it had cassette, and changed my order to include NAV once I learned I'd get CD.

My luck is probably getting worse and the the stupid cassette probably will not work with the aux. adapter

Crap