PDA

View Full Version : Sirius or XM?

siciliano
10-14-2003, 08:23 AM
I am trying to decide which service to get... Anyone had any experiances (good and bad) with either system?

What I've heard so far is that:
1. XM has better content (opinion, i guess)
2. Sirius is bankrupt (or filed for)
3. I have a Kenwood controller now, so Sirius would be simpler to install.

Again, any info you have would be appreciated...

Tony

nealh
10-14-2003, 06:41 PM
I am trying to decide which service to get... Anyone had any experiances (good and bad) with either system?

Tony

Where did you hear Sirius is bankrupt?

kneebiters
10-14-2003, 06:52 PM

Tony

Sirius is not bankrupt. I've tried both, and like Sirius better, primarily because it integrated more cleanly into the BMW. All that being said, I am selling my unit in favor of the BlueTooth kit. If you decided to go the Sirius route, send me a PM. I bought in last month, and am willing to cut a good deal.

siciliano
10-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Where did you hear Sirius is bankrupt?

The brilliant wizards at Best Buy passed that little tidbit on to me... of course - you have to take it with a grain of salt. I haven't had time to investigate myself...

Sirius is not bankrupt. I've tried both, and like Sirius better, primarily because it integrated more cleanly into the BMW. All that being said, I am selling my unit in favor of the BlueTooth kit. If you decided to go the Sirius route, send me a PM. I bought in last month, and am willing to cut a good deal.

Thanks kb... I'll let you know one way or the other...

Tony

ObD
10-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Sirius isn't bankrupt. It's just not making a profit. XM isn't making a profit either.

nealh
10-16-2003, 07:04 AM
Sirius isn't bankrupt. It's just not making a profit. XM isn't making a profit either.

In fact I heard Sirius has about $500 million in cash and is working on more(not to avoid bankruptcy)..they are getting more OEMs and service seems good as does XM..really depends on $$ issue..XM is not integrated as well to BMW but is less expensive solution..cost slightly less...

I personally would go BMW Sirius route but got hosed with my HU swap when I bought the car...stil lworking with my dealer to see if I can get a reasonable cost acceptable solution

LordByron
10-21-2003, 11:54 AM
In fact I heard Sirius has about $500 million in cash and is working on more(not to avoid bankruptcy)..they are getting more OEMs and service seems good as does XM..really depends on $$ issue..XM is not integrated as well to BMW but is less expensive solution..cost slightly less...

I personally would go BMW Sirius route but got hosed with my HU swap when I bought the car...stil lworking with my dealer to see if I can get a reasonable cost acceptable solution

If you get the Aux input u can get either one... externally like the new Dolphi for XM or the new Audiovox for sirius. As for who is gonna last XM looks better than sirius 'cause they started earlier and have way more customers than sirius..... as for music taste it all depends on what you listen XM has better selections be decade, like the 40's 50's 60's etc, sirius has better mix radio stations like the DJ mix station and more dance (techno music) XM has better jazz and ethnic music if u like to listen to some latin jazz or some spanish music. XM has 101 channels while sirius has 60. XM has commercials (very little) while sirius does not which is why XM is cheaper than sirius. I bet I made it difficult for you to choose uh?! :) You be the judge of that ... go to sirius.com and try their radio stations then go to xmradio.com and try theirs

You decide for yourself as who is doing better XM is doing better...

any other q's just ask.

nealh
10-21-2003, 12:57 PM
If you get the Aux input u can get either one... externally like the new Dolphi for XM or the new Audiovox for sirius. As for who is gonna last XM looks better than sirius 'cause they started earlier and have way more customers than sirius..... as for music taste it all depends on what you listen XM has better selections be decade, like the 40's 50's 60's etc, sirius has better mix radio stations like the DJ mix station and more dance (techno music) XM has better jazz and ethnic music if u like to listen to some latin jazz or some spanish music. XM has 101 channels while sirius has 60. XM has commercials (very little) while sirius does not which is why XM is cheaper than sirius. I bet I made it difficult for you to choose uh?! :) You be the judge of that ... go to sirius.com and try their radio stations then go to xmradio.com and try theirs

You decide for yourself as who is doing better XM is doing better...

any other q's just ask.

why do you say XM has better music by the decades channels...eg, 60,70,80's etc vs Sirius

How is the the talk radio..not NPR but morning show/evening show stuff...In south FL they have a great station WZZR that plays..the Love Doctor's an awesome show

LordByron
10-21-2003, 01:57 PM
why do you say XM has better music by the decades channels...eg, 60,70,80's etc vs Sirius

How is the the talk radio..not NPR but morning show/evening show stuff...In south FL they have a great station WZZR that plays..the Love Doctor's an awesome show

Well Sirius does not have decade channels like XM does... example I like the 60's I would just go to Channel 6 and is all music from the 60's w/ no commercials... sirius doesn't have radio stations by the decade but it has a great mix and has more sports, and news channels like live NBA action.

As for your morning shows you can always switch back and forth between satellite and FM.... for me its the Howard Stern show in NYC! :)

nealh
10-21-2003, 04:37 PM
Well Sirius does not have decade channels like XM does... example I like the 60's I would just go to Channel 6 and is all music from the 60's w/ no commercials... sirius doesn't have radio stations by the decade but it has a great mix and has more sports, and news channels like live NBA action.

As for your morning shows you can always switch back and forth between satellite and FM.... for me its the Howard Stern show in NYC! :)

I checked Sirius channel guide and they do have their music with channels for 60, 70, 80s etc also

jpgurl
10-22-2003, 07:57 AM
I checked Sirius channel guide and they do have their music with channels for 60, 70, 80s etc also

I have Sirius and I have 60's, 70's, 80's channels.

LordByron
10-22-2003, 09:50 AM

you are right! it also has 90's and 50's