PDA

View Full Version : Now that the initial shock has faded, who (besides me) is excited?

Jon Shafer
02-12-2010, 07:21 PM
I've said it before, but I want to say it again. Nobody is more bummed than I am about moving Bimmerfest away from my home town Santa Barbara. However, after 10 years, I am starting to become very excited about change. You have my word that I am going to do everything that I can to bring you the best Bimmerfest ever. I've been to the Rose Bowl twice the past couple of years (for "dad's day" for UCLA sorority girls), and I think it's an amazing location -- certainly worthy of a world-class show.

So anyway, let's start the official Bimmerfest 2010 pump-up thread. Who's with me?

http://blog.nola.com/michaelkleinschrodt/2008/10/medium_AHBelushi.JPG http://www.freewebs.com/olemissbetas/Animal-House---John-Belushi-College--C10112414.JPG

MrAdam
02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
the only thing I'm excited about is a possible caravan. I never have caravaned to a car show and well, Bimmerfest was local so didn't need to. but it might be fun to get out of town for a change :thumbup:

giantkeeper
02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Bring it!

007M3
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
This will be my first Bimmerfest I dont know what to expect" Surreal" or Extasy one of those definitely........................................ .YAAAA BABY

BoostedE21
02-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Where exactly will all the cars be parking and the vendors? :thumbup:

Cliff
02-13-2010, 12:28 AM
I am definitely excited, Jon.

It's too bad the Fest couldn't find its home at the polo grounds. Hopefully the Rose Bowl can be the host for the event for a few years. I think the first year at any venue presents you and Mark and Tim with unexpected challenges, while subsequent years allow you to refine the experience and give you guys the time to be hosts instead of constantly fighting fires.

It will be good to see everyone again. :D

Ucla95
02-13-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm stoked about seeing Bimmerfest on national TV in BMW commercials again...

Captain Roundel
02-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Not trying to be a whiner but Im curious why the Fest had to leave SB? Were the Polo grounds unavailable? We'll miss the beaches and all that...

Cliff
02-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Not trying to be a whiner but Im curious why the Fest had to leave SB? Were the Polo grounds unavailable? We'll miss the beaches and all that...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4907492&postcount=15

Alaska Bimmer
02-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm looking foward to a show where there is more than 1 BMW....up here our big show is the show and shine (it was on my classic car in 2008) and we get 350 or so cars, and at last years event there were 4 Bimmers there....I'm actually dreading the drive through Canada, terrible roads, high gas prices and nothing around for 100s of miles, and no cell phone coverage if the car has a problem.

but I do like driving, and I'll have no whining about not getting to drive the convertable enough this year..

Jayccel
02-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm looking forward to it, even though the venue has moved. Still a good drive for me and the guys I'm caravaning with (if they're still on board).

I'm looking foward to a show where there is more than 1 BMW....up here our big show is the show and shine (it was on my classic car in 2008) and we get 350 or so cars, and at last years event there were 4 Bimmers there....I'm actually dreading the drive through Canada, terrible roads, high gas prices and nothing around for 100s of miles, and no cell phone coverage if the car has a problem.

but I do like driving, and I'll have no whining about not getting to drive the convertable enough this year..

I think it's so cool of you to come down from Alaska :thumbup: How far are you coming from? Are you going to have someone ride with you?

tmba2002
02-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Its damn near in my back yard. I'll miss the ride up the coast. The view, the CHP cruiser every 1/4mile. But I'll be there.

swtguysb
02-15-2010, 09:01 AM
I'll be there ... 4 years in a row... along with 10 other bimmerheads

00-bmw-328i
02-15-2010, 10:40 AM
im down for this year counting down the days left of modding till bimmerfest

Alaska Bimmer
02-16-2010, 02:26 AM
I think it's so cool of you to come down from Alaska :thumbup: How far are you coming from? Are you going to have someone ride with you?

I'll be solo for this one, it's not a trip for the weak hearted....

I drove up here from Dallas 10 years ago and loafed my way up here in 9 days in a chevy cavalier, that was 4118 miles, so this is actually about 600 miles shorter...although a week after I get down there I have to come back 3550 more miles....at least I'll get to visit some family I have in the bay area while I'm down there.

The worst part will be northern Canada, but after that few days it should be all good.I just need a place to polish the car, the remote parts of Alaska and Canada are very dirty places.

jonesin
02-16-2010, 02:47 AM

I understand completely, I'm dreading the drive through the States;)

Ed103
02-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I have been away from the boards for awhile. I actually specifically stayed away because I knew that this year, I wouldn't be able to make the drive from L.A. to Santa Barbara. Last year my family and our three Bimmers made the drive, but this year would be impossible. Then today I thought I'd check to see what the caravans were up to, and lo and behold, Bimmerfest has been moved to Pasadena, one of my favorite cities.

Personally, I think this is amazing news and can really open us up for new possibilities. The Los Angeles area is huge and has freeways everywhere, as everyone knows. There are hotels everywhere, ranging from cheap to super exclusive. There is a strip of great dining and clubs right there in Pasadena along with the facilities to hold tons of people. Don't forget that Pasadena holds the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game every New Year's, and thousands of people fly in and stay. So the city and surrounding areas can definitely accomdate everyone.

I've read that people don't think everyone will want to stay and have a dinner or meet. That's ridiculous. I love Santa Barbara, but honestly, Los Angeles has more stuff going on than any other city in the country. Granted you might have to drive 20 to 30 minutes. Oh no! Wait! We'll all be in Bimmers, so what's the problem? Santa Monica and the West side is 30 minutes away on the 10. Hollywood? Minutes away. How about some canyon driving the night before the show? Bam! Go up the Angeles Crest or head over to Azusa canyon. Amazing drives through the mountains with great views.

My one big gripe with prior years' 'fest was all the dirt. Cars hate date and I hate dirt on my car. We were driving through horse stables and on dirt roads. Bad! The Rose Bowl has huge parking lots and all paved streets. No dirt.

I am biased, but seriously. Santa Barbara has nothing that Pasadena and the Los Angeles area can't match. Give it a chance and I think we'll have an awesome 'fest.

MarcusSanDiego
02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Jon, hope you're doing well.

I'm actually glad that the 'Fest is going to be in Pasadena. Driving from San Diego to SB always made for a really, really long day. SD to Pasadena makes the trip a lot more bearable.

I haven't been to Bimmerfest in eight years. I'm curious to see some of the new cars on the scene.

See ya on May 22.

synenergy52
03-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I miss the drive :( I want to meet with a group and drive to Bimmerfest (somewhat long distance) damn it! But I won't complain I'm sure Jon will make it a great show :(

grant6398
03-26-2010, 11:09 PM
This will be my first Fest, and I'm pleased that it will be in Pasadena. I'm gonna drag at least 2 other Bimmer friends with me from the Inland Empire.

armorrig
03-30-2010, 12:06 AM
I'd definitely go. This will be my first bimmerfest. Wish I could do the caravan though but lo and behold, I live in Pasadena. I might drive up to SB and do the caravan back down to Pasadena. :rofl:

540Greg
04-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm sad to say I'm going to miss this year's after 9 in a row. My 2 sons have gone 9 years also and they can't make it either. There's just too much going on in the end of May. You guys have a good time. Pasadena is a great town. Son #1 is getting married the next weekend in Vegas to his girl who's been to the 'Fest I think the last five years.

Jon Shafer
04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm sad to say I'm going to miss this year's after 9 in a row. My 2 sons have gone 9 years also and they can't make it either. There's just too much going on in the end of May. You guys have a good time. Pasadena is a great town. Son #1 is getting married the next weekend in Vegas to his girl who's been to the 'Fest I think the last five years.

Damn Greg, I'm bummed we won't be seeing you... This is good news for some, though.
More "Battle of the Bimmers" trophies left for the other contenders...

;)