PDA

View Full Version : Excited for F30

mujjuman
02-18-2010, 07:59 PM
I've always been a HUGE fan of 3-series BMWs... more than the 5 and the 7 series, although I like them too.

I'm very excited for the next generation of 3-series BMW!! :)

shipill
03-01-2010, 11:14 PM
me too , I cant wait :rofl:

330ximd
03-31-2010, 09:44 PM
I am as well! There were too many issues w/ the current e90 for me to pull the trigger (HPFP, overheating, etc.) This new 3 is a go!

Kilgore Trout
08-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Oh, and you are that convinced there will be no issues in the F30? Every gen of 3-series has some issues.

mujjuman
08-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah ofcourse there will be issues with the new one, but the better quality, etc which has been a trend so far with each new generation is somehing to look forward to. As well as the styling and design and newer engines, etc.

Kilgore Trout
08-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Yeah ofcourse there will be issues with the new one, but the better quality, etc which has been a trend so far with each new generation is somehing to look forward to. As well as the styling and design and newer engines, etc.

Really? Where there HPFP problems on the E46? How about the ticking noise that plagued the N52s? Or the peeling of paint on the interior?

My point is that BMWs don't get more reliable with no generations. They just develop problems in different areas.

Its simply not the case that BMWs are getting more and more reliable or showing better build quality. In fact, every generation has been middle pack reliability, with a few notable problems.

I'm not saying that the new gen won't be cool and wonderful. There is a lot to look forward to and I think it will be a great vehicle. But, i don't buy the earlier poster's idea that you can wait out the problems in the E9x line and then get a reliable F30. If anything, the F30 will probably be less reliable when it first comes out (because there are always bugs in the first years). And, to the extent that BMW will be relying on forced induction, we may even see a big drop in reliability (because BMW's turbo engines have tended to be less reliable than there NA engines).

mujjuman
08-28-2010, 03:12 AM
Really? Where there HPFP problems on the E46? How about the ticking noise that plagued the N52s? Or the peeling of paint on the interior?

No but the E46 was plagued with so many other problems and maintenance issues.

My point is that BMWs don't get more reliable with no generations. They just develop problems in different areas.

I'm not really talking about reliability... for me quality and reliability are two different terms... but I can see how others may see them as the same thing. I too also dont believe the BMWs get more reliable with each generation... E36 to E46 to E90, there were problems upon problems... same with the 7series and the E34 to E39 to E60.

Its simply not the case that BMWs are getting more and more reliable or showing better build quality. In fact, every generation has been middle pack reliability, with a few notable problems.

I'm not saying that the new gen won't be cool and wonderful. There is a lot to look forward to and I think it will be a great vehicle. But, i don't buy the earlier poster's idea that you can wait out the problems in the E9x line and then get a reliable F30. If anything, the F30 will probably be less reliable when it first comes out (because there are always bugs in the first years). And, to the extent that BMW will be relying on forced induction, we may even see a big drop in reliability (because BMW's turbo engines have tended to be less reliable than there NA engines).

Yeah I dont believe that you can wait out the problems in the E9x and expect the F30 to be reliable... that doesnt seem realistic. Are the newer E9x's still having problems the same problems? Or problems in general? Just wondering because I want to pick a newer LCI model myself... I expect the problems to be plenty in the first 4 or so years for a given model, with the last 2 or so years being the most reliable... that has been the trend that I've seen in my relatively short lifetime (I dont have that much experience with cars to give final judgment, but that's the trend I've been seeing since I started driving @ 16 yrs of age). It's reasonable and also prudent to expect the first F30s to be less reliable than the newest E9x, every new model year has their problems.

What I meant by the E9x having "better quality" than the E46 (or at least mine) is their build quality and the feel of the materials used inside and outside seems better. Also the fact that it just looks much more better. When driving the E9x compared to my E46, it just feels much more solid and well put together. It could have just seemed that way because my E46 is older and that its borderline falling apart due to use, and the E9x that I drove were all brand new loaners. I've driven the E39, the E60, as well as the new 5 series GT (is it F07?) I never drove a E39 brand new, but the E60 was brand new, and I've driven a fairly used one as well with 140k+ miles. As much as I love the E39, the E60 just felt much more well put together, even when comparing those two models after years of use (the E60 I drove with 140k miles and the E39 I drove several years ago with similar mileage... it was a 540i M package and the E60 was a 545i M package as well, both manual... also I drove auto version of these in regular trim). When driving the new F07 GT, I was blown away..... it was a 550i with almost every option, with the automatic transmission. That car was just unbelievable in my opinion... it felt so much better than the E60s that I drove, both new and fairly used. My friend has a year old 528i and just comparing build quality and feel, I feel the F07 beats it in every way. Just my opinion. I wanted to buy that car on the spot... but I still have tuition to pay, and graduate degrees to earn. Still something to look forward to. I felt the same way when driving an E92, and I can only imagine how I'll feel when I drive the F30... I have yet to drive the new 5 series sedan though... hmm I'll pay a visit to the dealer soon.

Oh also my cousin just got a 335 loaner while his car is getting serviced... I'll hop in that too hahaha.

response in bold.

brkf
08-28-2010, 10:07 AM
To each his own. My e90s were not nearly as good as my e46 is any way. From the bad engines to the bland exterior to the less-driver-focused interiors to the OEM runflats - pretty much in every way the e90 failed where the e46 succeeded. I see a ZHP on the road and I still smile. I see an e90 (well about 100) every day and it's just another bland car that reminds me of what a letdown it was vis-a-vis the e46.

Kilgore Trout
08-28-2010, 11:26 AM
response in bold.

That was a eloquent post - I agree with everything you wrote, in fact.

You are right about the E46. We had one and FIVE power window motors died, along with two water pumps - in about 80,000 miles.

My sense of the E9x line is that BMW has worked out a lot of the problems over time. I've been very happy with mine.

I also agree with you that we are likely to see lots of cool new technological features and improvements in lots of domains. So, yeah, there is a whole lot to look forward too.

nadodude
08-28-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm super excited for the F30. I will buy the convertible as soon as its out!

IAS
09-27-2010, 05:43 PM
e46 are good but i think E90 are better over all as compared to E46, no performance cars are trouble free, BMWs take more time to fix the problem thought, E46 window regulators were problem which plagued the car till last production year, HPFP failures on 335 going on for a while and there are many minor ones which should have been addressed at least in the next MY launch. i will wait for the 2nd or third year F30, my 07 will be ready to sell maybe at that time.

mujjuman
09-30-2010, 11:07 AM
i wouldnt mind leasing first year cars, ie before all the kinks have been worked out.
after all, how are they gonna find all the problems if no one buys the cars and reports the problems? besides, since its a lease, its not technically MY car, i'm just paying to drive it and after 3 years i'll return it and get a newer, hopefully better one with most of the problems fixed.
besides, since the car is brand new, and since its a lease, they will give you a loaner (or should give you a damn loaner!!!) to drive around while the car is in the shop... and its under warranty so everything should be taken care of. i think its like a zero-risk move if you lease a first year car.
also, i think every dealer should give out loaners. i will NEVER go back to a dealer who did not provide a loaner for me to use free of charge, especially if my car is under warranty or if i bought the car from that dealer.... if i can help it that is.