PDA

View Full Version : Whats the break in period for the X5?

dbcinfinity
10-21-2003, 12:28 AM
What is the break in period? How fast am i suppose to NOT go and the RPM? How many miles is this period? The dealerhship told me that BMW's dont need a break in period. Is this right? Thanks

bten
10-21-2003, 08:00 PM
What is the break in period? How fast am i suppose to NOT go and the RPM? How many miles is this period? The dealerhship told me that BMW's dont need a break in period. Is this right? Thanks
It's in the manual... I am always amazed when I hear this from a dealer. I have heard it from Nissan dealers and VW dealers, in both cases, the manual said something different. Specifically, there were several items mentioned for break in. Typically, you should take it easy on the brakes for 300 miles to let the pads set in.

BMW recommends not going over 4500 rpm for the first 1200 miles, and keeping the vehicle under 100 mph.

seriously, it is in the manual and I would highly reccomend that you check that section out.

bten

AndDown
10-22-2003, 09:39 PM

If you are driving on LA's freeways, you won't have to worry about doing 100 mph :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I recently returned from a conference at UCLA, drove 80 miles at average speed of 35mph. So dealer is right you wont have to worry about a break-in period!!!

bbkat
11-07-2003, 11:38 AM
If you are driving on LA's freeways, you won't have to worry about doing 100 mph :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I recently returned from a conference at UCLA, drove 80 miles at average speed of 35mph. So dealer is right you wont have to worry about a break-in period!!!
Yeah, but taking it easy on the brakes will be tough :D

SupraRZ
11-10-2003, 03:16 AM

It depends on if you're buying or leasing it :)