PDA

View Full Version : problems after stereo install

jun
10-24-2003, 11:35 PM
I had my 2 jl audio amps intalled together with 2 jl audio 10w6v2 subs, diamond audio hex componets and diamond audio coax. On the way home(216 mile drive)the system shut down at least 10 times. It always restart when I pushed the volume knob. The last time it shut down, when I pushed the volume knob to turn it on, no display came up, but the cd played. Only the time was displayed.

the system sounds terrific though.

Help!!!!

nealh
10-25-2003, 04:59 PM
I had my 2 jl audio amps intalled together with 2 jl audio 10w6v2 subs, diamond audio hex componets and diamond audio coax. On the way home(216 mile drive)the system shut down at least 10 times. It always restart when I pushed the volume knob. The last time it shut down, when I pushed the volume knob to turn it on, no display came up, but the cd played. Only the time was displayed.

Help!!!!

Jun I say your post at RF..can I ask what you paid for that upgraded sound system...

My probable upgrade will run between $1800-2000 with professional install as I will not try this for the first time in my new car(3 mo old)

My proposed equipment:

Speakers:
front: Premium or reference series MB quarts 5.25" 2way component speakers(drop right into factory spots)
rear: reference series MB quarts 5.25" 2way component converted to coxial speaker as rear fill
JL audio 500/5 amp
JL audio sub
10 in Infinite Baffle mounted in rear deck or
12 in sub in an enclosure over the battery cover(clean look)

Thanks

Neal

jun
10-25-2003, 07:26 PM
Jun I say your post at RF..can I ask what you paid for that upgraded sound system...

My probable upgrade will run between $1800-2000 with professional install as I will not try this for the first time in my new car(3 mo old)

My proposed equipment:

Speakers:
front: Premium or reference series MB quarts 5.25" 2way component speakers(drop right into factory spots)
rear: reference series MB quarts 5.25" 2way component converted to coxial speaker as rear fill
JL audio 500/5 amp
JL audio sub

Thanks

Neal

The speakers, subs, amps are about 2,000. The cd changer + install kit is 370. Labor is about 1,000.

nealh
10-25-2003, 07:46 PM
The speakers, subs, amps are about 2,000. The cd changer + install kit is 370. Labor is about 1,000.
thanks

BTW very nice setup

possessed007
10-25-2003, 08:53 PM

My proposed equipment:

Speakers:
JL audio 500/5 amp
JL audio sub

Thanks

Neal

Buddy for the price fo Prenium or Reference you can get last years Q-series they were selling for 800$US+ and now cause the new Q series are out they are selling for 300$US. I bought mine from Ebay from this user great guy and fast shipping "indoaudio@aol.com". The Q-series are amazing and why pay the same money and get lower stage.

BillP
10-25-2003, 09:39 PM

Help!!!!

Time to perform some experiments. Assuming you can recreate the shutdown, do so and ...

* Are the lights on the amp still on? If so, is the fault light on?
* Does the problem only happen at higher volumes? If so, I would suggest a short in the speaker wires or a short in the signal wires to the amps which *may* cause the display problems you are experiencing.
* When you say the system shuts down, does this mean all music from all speakers or just a portion of them?

Have you contacted your installer?

Bill

jun
10-26-2003, 05:33 AM
Time to perform some experiments. Assuming you can recreate the shutdown, do so and ...

* Does the problem only happen at higher volumes? If so, I would suggest a short in the speaker wires or a short in the signal wires to the amps which *may* cause the display problems you are experiencing.
* When you say the system shuts down, does this mean all music from all speakers or just a portion of them?

Bill

Bill,

I have not verified if the lamps are on when the system shuts down as I was driving in those instances and just hit the power button again.

It happens in any sound volume level.

When the system shuts down, there is no sound at all and the display goes blank except for the clock display.

I called the installer and he said that he forgot to put back fuse #43 inside the glove box. I took a look and there was no fuse in that space. I put in a 5 amp fuse last night. I did about an hour of listening inside the garage and the system didn't shut down.

Do you have any idea what fuse #43 is for?

Thanks,
Jun

nealh
10-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Jun...

Did you have them rewire for the stereo upgrade or use existing wiring???

thanks

Neal

jun
10-28-2003, 04:19 PM
Jun...

Did you have them rewire for the stereo upgrade or use existing wiring???

thanks

Neal

Neal,

The installer reused the existing wiring. Take a look at the installer's site at;
streeteffectz.com.

I just looked into my receipt and the labor cost was only about 700. the extra 400 plus was for the diamond audio coax for the back and the RCA wires and tax plus 3% card fee.

jun
10-28-2003, 04:21 PM

Bill

Bill,

Since I installed a 5 amp fuse at fuse #43 port, I have not experienced any shutdown.

Jun

nealh
10-28-2003, 06:36 PM
thanks