PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Rear fill in MY 2003 nondsp 530i....

nealh
10-28-2003, 07:31 AM
is it worth having an installer change the speakers and remove the rear deck etc with all the associated costs...

I am having trouble deciding if I should have them do that...I have listened to my nondsp system and you basically can not hear the rear speakers at all...

If I just change the front and add a sub will I miss much if I leave the factory rear deck speakers( I will have them disconnect the rear door tweeters..junk)

I know I ask alot of questions but having never changed a factory setup I figure others experience is worth getting vs learning the hard way

Thanks

Neal

citiboi
10-28-2003, 09:09 PM
is it worth having an installer change the speakers and remove the rear deck etc with all the associated costs...

I am having trouble deciding if I should have them do that...I have listened to my nondsp system and you basically can not hear the rear speakers at all...

If I just change the front and add a sub will I miss much if I leave the factory rear deck speakers( I will have them disconnect the rear door tweeters..junk)

I know I ask alot of questions but having never changed a factory setup I figure others experience is worth getting vs learning the hard way

I don't know a lot about speakers, but I've been told the speakers in the 530's are pretty good ones. Not the best, but pretty good. I had someone install a subwoofer in the trunk (in a custom-made enclosure which fits above the battery well), install a new amp, and re-cross over everything. I'm very VERY happy with it. My vehicle suddenly gained bass response, something sorely lacking from the factory system. And the stock speakers, once the lower-end bass was crossed out from them (replaced by the sub) and the rest of the sound was generally crossed-over better, sound great now.

...only problem is, it sounds sooooo much better I turn up the bass too loud, and my new amp borders on blowing the stock speakers! :supdude:

<sigh> Guess I'm gonna have to replace those stock speakers afterall. Awwww shucks......
:bling:

nealh
10-29-2003, 05:07 AM
I don't know a lot about speakers, but I've been told the speakers in the 530's are pretty good ones. Not the best, but pretty good. I had someone install a subwoofer in the trunk (in a custom-made enclosure which fits above the battery well), install a new amp, and re-cross over everything. I'm very VERY happy with it. My vehicle suddenly gained bass response, something sorely lacking from the factory system. And the stock speakers, once the lower-end bass was crossed out from them (replaced by the sub) and the rest of the sound was generally crossed-over better, sound great now.

...only problem is, it sounds sooooo much better I turn up the bass too loud, and my new amp borders on blowing the stock speakers! :supdude:

<sigh> Guess I'm gonna have to replace those stock speakers afterall. Awwww shucks......
:bling:

thanks...I figure the multichannel amp/speakers and install will cost $500 more but I decided to add new speakers and multichannel amp later then it would be even more expensive

I have heard the same thing if you add a good sub that it makes a big difference but when I turn down the bass and listen to the speakers they are ok...

BTW how is the bass getting into the car..via rear armrest??

BillP
10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Unless one of two items is true, I strongly suggest that you save your money and leave the rear speakers alone:

1. You frequently have rear passengers that GAS about music

2. You like setting the fader so you clearly hear the rear speakers (as opposed to have it set just to provide a bit of airiness or "fill") - if you do this, you will notice a voicing difference between good front speakers and the stock rear speakers and it may bother you

I have my system set up such that the rears are half the volume of the fronts (fixed fader, fronts and rears combined run off of two channels, not four). Since they are further from me than the fronts, the effective difference is even greater. Yeah, I did upgrade the rears but I now regret doing so and in fact may disconnect them completely.

Bill

nealh
10-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Unless one of two items is true, I strongly suggest that you save your money and leave the rear speakers alone:

1. You frequently have rear passengers that GAS about music

2. You like setting the fader so you clearly hear the rear speakers (as opposed to have it set just to provide a bit of airiness or "fill") - if you do this, you will notice a voicing difference between good front speakers and the stock rear speakers and it may bother you

I have my system set up such that the rears are half the volume of the fronts (fixed fader, fronts and rears combined run off of two channels, not four). Since they are further from me than the fronts, the effective difference is even greater. Yeah, I did upgrade the rears but I now regret doing so and in fact may disconnect them completely.

Bill

Thanks Bill

citiboi
10-29-2003, 10:24 PM
I have heard the same thing if you add a good sub that it makes a big difference but when I turn down the bass and listen to the speakers they are ok...

BTW how is the bass getting into the car..via rear armrest??

No, I don't have the ski-bag pass-through option, and the trunk is still sealed. The seals on the E39 trunk are super-tight, almost water tight. We had talked about porting a hole in the trunk through the armrest area or through the rear deck. But on the advise of my installer, I left the trunk sealed. And I still like the sound. But the sub is turned up a bit louder to compensate.

I really do like the way it sounds now - sealed trunk and all. But now that I've ridden around with it for a while, I might just cut that hole behind the rear armrest. (Hesitant to cut my baby? YES!) The real reason why is because, when I play my music loud (which I do a lot), the sub is so loud in the trunk that it rattles the rear of the car. I don't hear it in the cabin at all. But if you stand outside my car with all the windows/moonroof closed and the trunk closed, all you hear of the music is the rhythmic pounding rattle from the trunk. That was something I wanted to avoid (having other drivers next to me thinking, "What's that obnoxious rattling sound?").

Oh, and about the quality of the speakers, I thought the same thing before mine was re-done. Its the amp, I'm pretty well convinced. I've heard since that the factory BMW amp is for sh*t and worth the replacement. So, a new amp combined with a reconfiguration/replacement of the crossovers, and it really sounds like I have a whole set of brand new speakers!

nealh
10-30-2003, 09:29 AM
No, I don't have the ski-bag pass-through option, and the trunk is still sealed. The seals on the E39 trunk are super-tight, almost water tight. We had talked about porting a hole in the trunk through the armrest area or through the rear deck. But on the advise of my installer, I left the trunk sealed. And I still like the sound. But the sub is turned up a bit louder to compensate.

I really do like the way it sounds now - sealed trunk and all. But now that I've ridden around with it for a while, I might just cut that hole behind the rear armrest. (Hesitant to cut my baby? YES!) The real reason why is because, when I play my music loud (which I do a lot), the sub is so loud in the trunk that it rattles the rear of the car. I don't hear it in the cabin at all. But if you stand outside my car with all the windows/moonroof closed and the trunk closed, all you hear of the music is the rhythmic pounding rattle from the trunk. That was something I wanted to avoid (having other drivers next to me thinking, "What's that obnoxious rattling sound?").

Oh, and about the quality of the speakers, I thought the same thing before mine was re-done. Its the amp, I'm pretty well convinced. I've heard since that the factory BMW amp is for sh*t and worth the replacement. So, a new amp combined with a reconfiguration/replacement of the crossovers, and it really sounds like I have a whole set of brand new speakers!

Thanks..

I am going to have them cut a few holes behind the armrest...

As for changing speakers..if I change the amp/sub..hardware is about $1000 plus install..so I figure adding $300 for addn speakers seems worth it

Were the replacement crossovers done in the doors or in the trunk??

jun
10-31-2003, 02:12 PM
I have 2 jl audio 10w6v2 subs powered by a jl audio 500/1 amp. I didn't cut any hole in my armrest or anywhere else. My bass is sufficient enough that my bass knob is turned only about halfway. I don't have any vibration as my trunk is fully dynamatted. The only thing that vibrates a little bit is my license plate frame. I just need to put some dynamat around it.