PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio though your factory system!!!

BMW530iGUY
10-30-2003, 09:32 AM
I just installed an XM Commander so reading this was tough but it seems that Blitzsafe is coming out with a way to connect XM through the wiring in the trunk to connect via your factory radio. All of the controls, station, song names would be viewed just as with Sirius.

One guy stated it should be at BMW and Mini dealers next week

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=12688

elbert
10-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Nice, and I would get to keep my SkyFi. Time to upgrade the car!

JST
10-30-2003, 10:40 AM
I just installed an XM Commander so reading this was tough but it seems that Blitzsafe is coming out with a way to connect XM through the wiring in the trunk to connect via your factory radio. All of the controls, station, song names would be viewed just as with Sirius.

But only for 2003+ cars without Nav. :mad:

My current solution (Blitzsafe + Pioneer unit in the ashtray) isn't as cool, but it looks like I'm stuck with it.

SpaceMonkey
10-30-2003, 11:40 AM
But only for 2003+ cars without Nav. :mad:

My current solution (Blitzsafe + Pioneer unit in the ashtray) isn't as cool, but it looks like I'm stuck with it.
Yeah, I was just as excited until I read about the Aux input being used. I'm stuck with the same set up too.

elbert
10-30-2003, 12:37 PM
What about swapping out the headunit, or is there more to it than that?

Riuster
11-13-2003, 08:56 AM
I have a 2002 M3..can this unit work in my car?

Zappo
11-13-2003, 05:53 PM

Yeah, but rumor has it you lose the ability to keep your BMW OEM trunk mounted CD Changer unlike the Sirius setup :cry:

Riuster
11-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Yeah, but rumor has it you lose the ability to keep your BMW OEM trunk mounted CD Changer unlike the Sirius setup :cry:

Blitzsafe has one..but it works with a 2003 radio not mine..also....blitzsafe makes an adapter to plug into the cd changer...but..i hvae to buy the unit...reciever...its too much clutter on my dash...

my BMW dealer advised me that next year SIRIUS will come out that it will work on most factory BMW radios including 2002 soo..i dont knwo what to do..gotta get that xM radio..NOW.hahahahha

Zappo
11-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Blitzsafe has one..but it works with a 2003 radio not mine..also....blitzsafe makes an adapter to plug into the cd changer...but..i hvae to buy the unit...reciever...its too much clutter on my dash...

my BMW dealer advised me that next year SIRIUS will come out that it will work on most factory BMW radios including 2002 soo..i dont knwo what to do..gotta get that xM radio..NOW.hahahahha

Well I alraedy have a 2003 Sirius Compatible Radio Head Unit (even though my M3 is a 2002 ... got it swapped out under warranty due to poor AM reception). Are you saying that the XM Box can go in the trunk next to my BMW OEM CD Changer and with the proper adapters both the XM and CD will work with all my control buttons and properly display Satellite Station :dunno: info on the Head Unit read-out panel?

Riuster
11-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Well I alraedy have a 2003 Sirius Compatible Radio Head Unit (even though my M3 is a 2002 ... got it swapped out under warranty due to poor AM reception). Are you saying that the XM Box can go in the trunk next to my BMW OEM CD Changer and with the proper adapters both the XM and CD will work with all my control buttons and properly display Satellite Station :dunno: info on the Head Unit read-out panel?

sorry for Blitzsafe...and Sirius, it takes the CD changer set up..so no cd changer avail...to my information..your set up is the best.....and you got a new radio..I THINK MY AM RECEPTION OR CD PLAYER IS GOING BAD..HAHAHAHAHAH

Riuster
11-14-2003, 08:34 AM

OK.i didnt think i read your message properly IF YOU DONT HAVE a cd changer..YES..and its a 2003 radio..you can add the BLITZSAFE adapter and put it on your cd changer outlet...and you get satt ready on your 2003 bmw head unit....yes..it will display it ALL.....on your screen....go to www.xmfanstore.com and email ZIGGY..and he has the unit you are looking for ..I need a 2003 radio...again..i think my radio is going out of commission...hahhahaha

Zappo
11-14-2003, 08:40 AM
OK.i didnt think i read your message properly IF YOU DONT HAVE a cd changer..YES..and its a 2003 radio..you can add the BLITZSAFE adapter and put it on your cd changer outlet...and you get satt ready on your 2003 bmw head unit....yes..it will display it ALL.....on your screen....go to www.xmfanstore.com and email ZIGGY..and he has the unit you are looking for ..I need a 2003 radio...again..i think my radio is going out of commission...hahhahaha
Thanks ... that is what I thought. I just wish I had bought XM stock a year ago ... up 10 or 20 times since then :cry:

Riuster
11-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks ... that is what I thought. I just wish I had bought XM stock a year ago ... up 10 or 20 times since then :cry:

but SIRIUS stock is on the low end..increasing..to my last view of the candlestick chart...and its cheap....Get Sirius.....but i hear about Xm..trading at 23s......

anwayy..i m going to ask my bmw service guy..to see if i can get a new radio..my cd player is jamming.."YEAAAAHHH RIIIIIGGGHHHTT"..hahahahaha

LMAO..hahaha

LordByron
01-02-2004, 08:55 PM
but SIRIUS stock is on the low end..increasing..to my last view of the candlestick chart...and its cheap....Get Sirius.....but i hear about Xm..trading at 23s......

anwayy..i m going to ask my bmw service guy..to see if i can get a new radio..my cd player is jamming.."YEAAAAHHH RIIIIIGGGHHHTT"..hahahahaha

LMAO..hahaha

I have a Sirius PNP hooked up in my 03 BMW didn't want to spend 4?? bucks on something I wasn't so sure about so I got the Audiovox PNP2 and WOW works great I bought the home and car kits and it works perfectlly !!! love Sirius love the Unit and love the music get Sirius man its worth it!!

Riuster
01-02-2004, 09:20 PM
I have a Sirius PNP hooked up in my 03 BMW didn't want to spend 4?? bucks on something I wasn't so sure about so I got the Audiovox PNP2 and WOW works great I bought the home and car kits and it works perfectlly !!! love Sirius love the Unit and love the music get Sirius man its worth it!!

I did the same and got the kenwood..here is my set up..

LordByron
01-03-2004, 01:12 AM
I did the same and got the kenwood..here is my set up..

Damn Riuster your car looks the Batmobile!!!! :bigpimp: Very cool!

What else do you have in your car??

Riuster
01-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Damn Riuster your car looks the Batmobile!!!! :bigpimp: Very cool!

What else do you have in your car??

thank you, perhaps its an over kill kinda cluttered sometimes but at night it does have its christmas effect, it is also a thief's dream...hahhahaha

Kenwood Ham Radio
V1
Red Petzl Light
G-Timer (removable)
Kenwood Sirius PNP (removable)
Garmin 2610
Ionizer
those other things are remote controls....just dont have a place to put them....

The Kenwood Sirius PNP was difficult to mount, where to put it so it looks somewhat integrated? so I purchased a seidio vent clip, and used a metal plate and mounted the kenwood..it fits perfectly....

I wish the PNP units were more design worthy for Sirius, as time goes on, better designs will evolve.

In the future, its just better to get a whole in one package, DVD Nav, Sirius ready, MP3 ready, and replace the BMW radio.

QuICKLY..TO THE BATMOBILE

LordByron
01-05-2004, 05:48 AM
thank you, perhaps its an over kill kinda cluttered sometimes but at night it does have its christmas effect, it is also a thief's dream...hahhahaha

Kenwood Ham Radio
V1
Red Petzl Light
G-Timer (removable)
Garmin 2610
Ionizer
those other things are remote controls....just dont have a place to put them....

The Kenwood Sirius PNP was difficult to mount, where to put it so it looks somewhat integrated? so I purchased a seidio vent clip, and used a metal plate and mounted the kenwood..it fits perfectly....

I wish the PNP units were more design worthy for Sirius, as time goes on, better designs will evolve.

In the future, its just better to get a whole in one package, DVD Nav, Sirius ready, MP3 ready, and replace the BMW radio.

Dude explain to me what a V1, Gtimer, Garmin 2610 and Ionizer ... I never heard of those things before I hope I'm no fool :dunno:

Riuster
01-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Dude explain to me what a V1, Gtimer, Garmin 2610 and Ionizer ... I never heard of those things before I hope I'm no fool :dunno:

You are certainly NO FOOL for asking, only fools dont ask and assume.. :thumbup:

well it is as follows;

V1 = Valentine One Radar Detector, I used all of them out there..so far...the V1 is truly outstanding, worth the 400 dollars. www.valentine1.com

GTimer = This invention was made by Passport, Inc., it measures the amount of G forces produced on heavy turns or acceleration, honeslty its a bloody gimmick, but looks outstanding on the dashboard, I always wanted to know how much Gs I was pulling, so I got the meter, I hear the M3 can pull up to approx. 1G on a turn...*****...
www.passport.com

Garmin 2610 = A portable Navigation system, probably the next best thing to DVD navigation, i never leave home without it.....if you dont have a nav system already in your car...either the Sanyo portable DVD, the Garmin 2610 or the ALPINE in dash DVD-Nav is your best bet....i dotn like the one that BMW provides due to the screen below the view of sight for driving..i think that is dangerous. The pop up screen DVD nav systmes are great, the screen comes right in front of the middle air vent and with a nice 7 inch screen, touch too...some even come with SIRIUS radio built in.
www.garmin.com

Ionizer = Its is air filter, you can buy this at the SharperImage, it takes out molecular particles from the air to purify the air....something like that....

Ham Radio = you probably know that, its an amateur band radio, when i cruise I drive with a buddy and we both link up with amateur band, same as FRS or GMRS..etc..but my in car unit has 50 watts..not the 5 watts in those portables...

thats it....I just wish I had oil slick, passenger ejector, a 20mm grenade launcher, a rocket launcher, a 233 caliber dual machine guns..etc..in my car as well....or an Aston Martin all together with that..hahahaha....

Out of the gimmicks I have the V1 is a necessity...once in a while you want to speed..and that the V1 really does a good job. You should get this..its worth the investment.

Riuster
01-05-2004, 06:18 AM
How did you get to hook up the Audio Vox, just curious..any pics? I like the RED display on the Audio vox...my Kenwood..was a pain to install, how can I make it look so it looks prettty cool on the dash...the mount it came with really looked like crap...and Im wondering how you did your audiovox...and where areyou leading the cables..how did you connect it to your radio..i hope not through FM, what about power supply..and the wires...etc..

But overall the Sirius plug and play units are not of the best designs..even my Kenwood...well I have to say...its not what i really had in mind...

LordByron
01-05-2004, 06:40 AM
You are certainly NO FOOL for asking, only fools dont ask and assume.. :thumbup:

well it is as follows;

V1 = Valentine One Radar Detector, I used all of them out there..so far...the V1 is truly outstanding, worth the 400 dollars. www.valentine1.com

GTimer = This invention was made by Passport, Inc., it measures the amount of G forces produced on heavy turns or acceleration, honeslty its a bloody gimmick, but looks outstanding on the dashboard, I always wanted to know how much Gs I was pulling, so I got the meter, I hear the M3 can pull up to approx. 1G on a turn...*****...
www.passport.com

Garmin 2610 = A portable Navigation system, probably the next best thing to DVD navigation, i never leave home without it.....if you dont have a nav system already in your car...either the Sanyo portable DVD, the Garmin 2610 or the ALPINE in dash DVD-Nav is your best bet....i dotn like the one that BMW provides due to the screen below the view of sight for driving..i think that is dangerous. The pop up screen DVD nav systmes are great, the screen comes right in front of the middle air vent and with a nice 7 inch screen, touch too...some even come with SIRIUS radio built in.
www.garmin.com

Ionizer = Its is air filter, you can buy this at the SharperImage, it takes out molecular particles from the air to purify the air....something like that....

Ham Radio = you probably know that, its an amateur band radio, when i cruise I drive with a buddy and we both link up with amateur band, same as FRS or GMRS..etc..but my in car unit has 50 watts..not the 5 watts in those portables...

thats it....I just wish I had oil slick, passenger ejector, a 20mm grenade launcher, a rocket launcher, a 233 caliber dual machine guns..etc..in my car as well....or an Aston Martin all together with that..hahahaha....

Out of the gimmicks I have the V1 is a necessity...once in a while you want to speed..and that the V1 really does a good job. You should get this..its worth the investment.

Wow man your car is HOOKED UP!! :thumbup: I would like to get the V1 like you said you can always need a little more punch.... thanks for the input !!

LordByron
01-05-2004, 07:26 AM
How did you get to hook up the Audio Vox, just curious..any pics? I like the RED display on the Audio vox...my Kenwood..was a pain to install, how can I make it look so it looks prettty cool on the dash...the mount it came with really looked like crap...and Im wondering how you did your audiovox...and where areyou leading the cables..how did you connect it to your radio..i hope not through FM, what about power supply..and the wires...etc..

But overall the Sirius plug and play units are not of the best designs..even my Kenwood...well I have to say...its not what i really had in mind...

Well the main reason I got the Audiovox PNP2 for x-mas was because of the orange display, looks like its part of the BMW, its very cool and I love the display. You will need a car kit so you can use it in your car and a home kit for your home. The PNP2 has different displays to choose from and Fonts, in the display its shows the name of the singer and name of the song if you like the song you can save it and next time its on it will beep and let you know that the song you have saved its playing on another station (stream). You will really like this gadget man...

The install part was the easiest thing to do, I have MY03 and I installed the AUX port in my glove compartment, so its hooked there and the antenna you can have it in the front or in the back (I'm still testing to see what the best location is) NO FM !!! :thumbdwn:

http://www.mattmcnulty.com/325xi/DIY/aux_input.html

You might like the PNP2 very much, I do... i know its a little bulky but from what I see I don't think that will be a problem for you :rofl:

Riuster
01-05-2004, 07:35 AM
Well the main reason I got the Audiovox PNP2 for x-mas was because of the orange display, looks like its part of the BMW, its very cool and I love the display. You will need a car kit so you can use it in your car and a home kit for your home. The PNP2 has different displays to choose from and Fonts, in the display its shows the name of the singer and name of the song if you like the song you can save it and next time its on it will beep and let you know that the song you have saved its playing on another station (stream). You will really like this gadget man...

The install part was the easiest thing to do, I have MY03 and I installed the AUX port in my glove compartment, so its hooked there and the antenna you can have it in the front or in the back (I'm still testing to see what the best location is) NO FM !!! :thumbdwn:

http://www.mattmcnulty.com/325xi/DIY/aux_input.html

You might like the PNP2 very much, I do... i know its a little bulky but from what I see I don't think that will be a problem for you :rofl:

I hope you know this, but the 2003 factory BMW radio is SIRIUS satt ready, all you needed is to get the box and just hook it up on the CD input in the back and the display comes right up on your head unit.

its on the board, look for it...and you dont need a PNP...and perhaps with a extra 6.95..or so..you cant get a second account for the car...and the PNP for home...etc...

FYI

LordByron
01-05-2004, 08:05 AM
I hope you know this, but the 2003 factory BMW radio is SIRIUS satt ready, all you needed is to get the box and just hook it up on the CD input in the back and the display comes right up on your head unit.

its on the board, look for it...and you dont need a PNP...and perhaps with a extra 6.95..or so..you cant get a second account for the car...and the PNP for home...etc...

FYI

I knew that BUT I wasnt sure how good SIRIUS was, and the reception from my car... If I was to go with the install, spend 500 bucks, and not like it I wasn't going to be very happy customer... now that I know how it works and how much I like it I might do it ... Still I like that fact that I have a gadget in my car, and my wife only spent 150 for the receiver and 2 kits... can't beat that. I also heard that the display in the BMW does not show the channel that you are on, or the name of the singer 'cause the display its so small in the BMW's, in the PNP you can see that all in one screen, plus I like the features that it comes w/ the PNP. :thumbup:

Pinecone
01-05-2004, 10:06 AM

Kenwood Ham Radio
V1
Red Petzl Light
G-Timer (removable)
Garmin 2610
Ionizer

Which Kenwood ham rig? I have a Yaesu FT90 that I will put in as soon as I get to th epoint of building my garage, that I can work on cars. :)

Where did you mount it? I am putting the Yaesu in the ashtray, remoted to the turnk under the CD changer.

N3MCJ

Riuster
01-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Which Kenwood ham rig? I have a Yaesu FT90 that I will put in as soon as I get to th epoint of building my garage, that I can work on cars. :)

Where did you mount it? I am putting the Yaesu in the ashtray, remoted to the turnk under the CD changer.

N3MCJ

Terry, you are a Ham Radio User, Im impressed Its a very limited user market these days....I have the Kenwood TM-742A, which I bought in 1989..the model has not yet changed, can you believe it....look at my picture, the head unit is located on the windshield and the console unit is under my seat....and I have a rear window mount antenna from Larsen....I couldnt find a dual radio band antenna for a window mount that was small in size, the antenna is about 24 inches long...just no choice.

i refuse to mount any antenna on the car's body due to scratches and stuff..I HATE that..i even put my siruius antenna on my rear windshield and it still looks ok....pics later.

I bought the detachable face kit with that extra long cord and the speaker is behind my center console near the ashtray for better audible reception.

Yaesu are great radios....its a 50watter too, on the 144mhz band, yes?

well this thread has been stolen...from XM to PNP to HAM..hahahah..LMAO... :p

Pinecone
01-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Interesting mount. But I don't like ANYTHING in the visual area of the windshield.

BTW I am mounting two speakers in the rear ashtray. RS has some 2 inch speakers in little enclosures that will fit without the back sections. One will be for the Yaesu and one for the GPS.

The FT-50 is 50 watts 2m, 35w 440. I have ended up with mainly Yaesu gear. From an FT-530 HT, up to my FT-1000D.

The head unit will go in the ashtray (VERY small head unit) along with the mic connector. I had to remove the little piece to stub out the cigarette.

I have a smallish Comet dual band antenna that I will probably trunk lip mount. I looked at (in fact have) a couple of the mounts that mount inside the lip and allow the antenna to be quickly folded into the trunk. But they are pretty big and bulky. My design and build one myself.

For radar/laser, I have an Escort SRX, with the head unit mounted in the little cubby above the ashtray.

Bluetooth is coming soon. :)

N3MCJ, WAC, WAS, DXCC, WPX. :)

Riuster
01-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Interesting mount. But I don't like ANYTHING in the visual area of the windshield.

BTW I am mounting two speakers in the rear ashtray. RS has some 2 inch speakers in little enclosures that will fit without the back sections. One will be for the Yaesu and one for the GPS.

The FT-50 is 50 watts 2m, 35w 440. I have ended up with mainly Yaesu gear. From an FT-530 HT, up to my FT-1000D.

The head unit will go in the ashtray (VERY small head unit) along with the mic connector. I had to remove the little piece to stub out the cigarette.

I have a smallish Comet dual band antenna that I will probably trunk lip mount. I looked at (in fact have) a couple of the mounts that mount inside the lip and allow the antenna to be quickly folded into the trunk. But they are pretty big and bulky. My design and build one myself.

For radar/laser, I have an Escort SRX, with the head unit mounted in the little cubby above the ashtray.

Bluetooth is coming soon. :)

N3MCJ, WAC, WAS, DXCC, WPX. :)

No where else to put in the big TM-742A, and I didnt want to go out an buy another smaller model, so the windshield it is....is not really in my way....actually its a nice direct view of the channels in full view, so I can keep my eyes on the road. Your model is tiny..so ya can stick it anywhere..the ashtray in the back is a good locale, but I wonder how you are visibly going to view the channel, when the radio is in your back, unless you dont scan channels.

I also looked at the comets, but the small ones are trunk mounted..but the trunk lip mount....not to crazy about that..but if you come up with something interesting lets see it.. :thumbup:

jh
01-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Has anyone determined if the XM Direct/Blitzsafe deal can utilize the silly shark fin antenna that's now on many '04s?

LordByron
01-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Has anyone determined if the XM Direct/Blitzsafe deal can utilize the silly shark fin antenna that's now on many '04s?

I think that antenna of for NAV... not sure though

Pinecone
01-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Isn't the shark fin the cell phone antenna? It was on earlier cars.

jh
01-09-2004, 10:54 AM
it's presently used for BMW Assist, so a phone antenna. But since you can't get Assist and Sirius together from the factory, or sirius and navigation, i speculate the antenna can be nav-sat-phone but only one at a time since they would all share the same antenna wire.

but i don't know for sure. plus if it has a sirius antenna... it might be tuned for a frequency different from xm.. but maybe not

LordByron
01-09-2004, 11:03 AM
I know when you buy the Sirius package from BMW you have to buy the antenna separate... do a search for Sirius and u'll find good info here. Here is a link that I have saved.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37661&highlight=xm+radio