PDA

View Full Version : Wiring package and RCAs

nealh
11-02-2003, 07:54 AM
My installer wants me to buy a wire kit($110) and RCA($60) to do my install of front speakers, amp, sub/enclosure..seems high

I have asked not to have the speakers rewired..is this resonable and necessary..price maybe high though

My setup now looks like this if I agree to his price of $1830

JL 500/5 amp
MB Quart PCE 213(premium line)
JL audio 12W0 sub with Corey Lista type enclosure
Wire Kit
RCA cable
Hi/Lo converter for head unit
JL remote bass control

thanks

BillP
11-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Are you sure the wire kit is for the speakers? If so, that's cheap. Most places charge like $500 to rewire speakers.

My guess is that it is the harness to interface with your amps. I paid perhaps $50 for a decent set of RCAs (which I then chopped in half to get one end RCA and the other end bare wire). Of course, I just soldered the bare wire to the factory harness and your installer may be doing it better with an actual Molex connector.

If the result will be a nice wiring job in back, it is probably worth the money.

However, why get a hi/lo converter? The JL amp handles the stock signal natively. True, the amp is rated up to 8V and the head unit puts out peaks of 11V, but that difference is insignificant.

Bill

nealh
11-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Are you sure the wire kit is for the speakers? If so, that's cheap. Most places charge like $500 to rewire speakers.

My guess is that it is the harness to interface with your amps. I paid perhaps $50 for a decent set of RCAs (which I then chopped in half to get one end RCA and the other end bare wire). Of course, I just soldered the bare wire to the factory harness and your installer may be doing it better with an actual Molex connector.

If the result will be a nice wiring job in back, it is probably worth the money.

However, why get a hi/lo converter? The JL amp handles the stock signal natively. True, the amp is rated up to 8V and the head unit puts out peaks of 11V, but that difference is insignificant.

Bill

Thanks BillP

The wiring kit is not for the speakers...I guess it is for the amp, sub etc
The Hi/lo level converter was what the installer recommended since I was using the stock HU

So should I tell him not to use the hi/lo converter?

The installer did the BMW 5 series audio install that is seen at McIntosh audio site.. http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/

Thanks
Neal

Frank Rizzo
11-03-2003, 12:29 AM
Take my word for it - it's gonna sound good!!!

The 500/5 takes the differential inputs directly - no need for for the hi/low converter.....
I don't think you need the remote bass control.
I did what Bill did, cut the RCA's and used a barrier type "terminal strip" for the connections.

http://photos.imageevent.com/frankrizzo/e46bmw/large/s4.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/frankrizzo/e46bmw/large/ampy.JPG

nealh
11-03-2003, 08:01 AM
Take my word for it - it's gonna sound good!!!

The 500/5 takes the differential inputs directly - no need for for the hi/low converter.....
I don't think you need the remote bass control.
I did what Bill did, cut the RCA's and used a barrier type "terminal strip" for the connections.

[[/IMG]

Thanks guys..I did not ask for the Hi/low level converter..the installer recommended it(he did not charge directly but I am sure it is in the overall price)

I wanted the remote bass control to adjust the lows from the sub since different songs tend to need more or less bass for my needs and I want some way in the car to change this

1. should I have him not use the Hi/low level converter ... how does this affect sound quality
2. should I have him cut holes behind the armrest for bass to pass into the cabin..I am no "bass head"..just need more lows

Frank Rizzo
11-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys..I did not ask for the Hi/low level converter..the installer recommended it(he did not charge directly but I am sure it is in the overall price)

I wanted the remote bass control to adjust the lows from the sub since different songs tend to need more or less bass for my needs and I want some way in the car to change this

1. should I have him not use the Hi/low level converter ... how does this affect sound quality
2. should I have him cut holes behind the armrest for bass to pass into the cabin..I am no "bass head"..just need more lows

1. Try it without the converter. The more stuff in the signal path, the greater the chance of poor sound quality.

2. I'd try removing the rear speakers on the deck first and leaving the empty holes to vent bass into the cabin.....the rear speaks screw up the image anyways....before you start cutting holes.

BillP
11-07-2003, 08:30 PM
2. I'd try removing the rear speakers on the deck first and leaving the empty holes to vent bass into the cabin.....the rear speaks screw up the image anyways....before you start cutting holes.

Frank, this must be a difference between the E46 and the E39, but removing the E39 rear speakers doesn't leave holes in the rear deck. The rear speakers sit inside plastic pods that sit ON TOP of the rear deck.

If you want bass venting (a good idea), you will need to either cut a hole over the armrest (what I did) or cut the DSP sub holes out of the rear deck (which a lot of other folks do) or, of course, both.

However, if you are referring to the DSP "subs" and Neal actually has DSP, then you are correct. Removal of the box would leave two ~4" holes in the rear deck.

BTW, I like your amp install much better than mine. I installed mine so the wires are in the back but that makes tweaking the controls a complete PITA - literally!!

Bill