PDA

View Full Version : Audio advice needed for E46 Sedan

mickjagger
11-02-2003, 01:25 PM
I have an '03 330i which of couse comes std with the HK. I had my aftermarket system removed from my old car with the intentions of replacing parts of the HK system. I had that done as follow:

Had my MBQuart 160.03 (6.5" with .75 tweet) mounted separately in the doors/tweet pods. It was tight, but they did fit!! The other pair of MBQuarts were put in the stock location in the back deck, but the coax mount(bridge) for the tweeters would not allow the grill back on. So, I have the 6.5" midbass drivers back there, just like stock, no tweeter. These speakers are being run off of a 50x4 Kenwood amp. I also have a 10" W0 sub in an enclosure in the trunk.

Now, the shop that did the install left the factory mids in all 4 doors runing off the factory amp. I have read where some liked this and some did not. Everything else is running off the Kenwood amp (wired before reaching HK amp to avoid crossed over signals).

With everything now in, I would say the sound is improved, but not as good sounding as in the old car. I need some advice on tuning the system and some other configuration based on how the amp is setup and the speaker setup.

1. I think the factory mids are "coloring" the tone of the quarts. I like MBQuart because they dont have any coloration and it seems like the mids may be clouding up their sound. What do you guys think? Should I disconnect the mids in the doors? Should I replace the rear door mids with the 2 left over quart tweeters I have??

2. The amp is bridged so I can drive the 4 quarts with the front 2 channels and the sub with the back 2. I know this is not optimal, but it worked fine in the other car. The way its setup now is:

- Fronts are high-passed at 100 and the input sensitivity is at 1(near minimal) remember, since its bridged, my front 2-way quarts and the rear mid are running off this.

- The sub is low-passed at 90 and the input sensitivity is at the max. This seems way to strong to me, but I wanted to get your thoughts before I changed anything.

Sorry this is long, so to summarize:

- should I diconnect the factory mids running of factory amp?
- how should I set amp xovers to better blend the highs, midbass and sub? Should I send full signal to the cabin since I have 6.5s??? It seems the current configuration is causing me to miss out on some good mid bass.

Also, any suggestions on future upgrades are appreciated. Since the car is new, funds are low, so I gotta keep it relatively inexpensive.
I would like to keep factory HU for cosmetics unless its a really bad idea.

Thx,
Mick

mickjagger
11-03-2003, 08:37 AM
I found a lot of info on e46fanatics about adding aftermarket amp/speakers and retaining stock HU. Looks like a line driver to boost the signal is a must. Could this make that big of a difference? Maybe the RCA line converter is reducing signal strength/quality....

Thx in advance for your help.

thomafr1
01-27-2004, 11:39 AM
I found a lot of info on e46fanatics about adding aftermarket amp/speakers and retaining stock HU. Looks like a line driver to boost the signal is a must. Could this make that big of a difference? Maybe the RCA line converter is reducing signal strength/quality....

Thx in advance for your help. got any pix of the install?

Dr. Phil
01-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Sorry this is long, so to summarize:

- should I diconnect the factory mids running of factory amp?
- how should I set amp xovers to better blend the highs, midbass and sub? Should I send full signal to the cabin since I have 6.5s??? It seems the current configuration is causing me to miss out on some good mid bass.

Also, any suggestions on future upgrades are appreciated. Since the car is new, funds are low, so I gotta keep it relatively inexpensive.
I would like to keep factory HU for cosmetics unless its a really bad idea.

Thx,
Mick
Yes I would disconnect the facotry mids, they are polluting the MB sound. Kill the signal to the MBs at the 65 to 80 range. Let those lows go to the sub.

I would bump up the amp first. Or buy a seperate sub-amp. As for the OEM head unit, you can get a way with it just be careful with the feed. I was having altenator issues that ended up being a result of splicing in the Symbilink wires to my Zapco amp :tsk: Their wires like there own ground. In the end though, I decided to upgrade the head unit to max my potential (yes this will cause a slight appearance change but worth it to me).