PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Clarkson says: X1 is rubbish

Klamalama
04-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Jeremy Clarkson has just finished test driving the new BMW X1 (http://www.egmcartech.com/tag/bmw-x1/), which won’t arrive in the United States until 2011, and gave the new German SUV/Crossover one star out of five.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/04/26/jeremy-clarkson-on-the-bmw-x1-it%E2%80%99s-not-a-car-it%E2%80%99s-rubbish/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+egmcartech+%28egmCarTech%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

Hawflake
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
The low-lights: "If it were a book, it would have no plot and a stupid cover and it would fall to pieces in the sun. But it isn***8217;t a book. And neither is it a car. It***8217;s rubbish."

This is the same guy who called the 335i SE "Big Dog Turd".

pereru
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Opinions are like ass...

everyone has one.

Salu2

thesmaz
04-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Its a well known fact among Top Gear fans that Jeremy Clarkson hates EVERY BMW except the M3................he's an MB lover

dammitammit
05-05-2010, 11:07 AM
who cares?

AzNMpower32
05-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Its a well known fact among Top Gear fans that Jeremy Clarkson hates EVERY BMW except the M3................he's an MB lover
He likes the 135i and the new Z4. And the M5/M6.

Honestly though, the only car anyone ever needs is a Golf. I agree.

Beemerup
05-19-2010, 10:19 AM
The X1 is not a car. It's the ultimate driving machine. I'm sitting in Monte Carlo right now and have seen a sufficient amount of cars that just blow me away. Then i see this strange brownish strange colored car coming my way and REALLY caught my eye. What is it? An X1. AWESOME car. Jeremy is full of rubbish. SWEET ride. I'd LOVE one.

sdbrandon
05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
If you don't have a mind of your own, you are easily swayed by those who do.

Jeremy is not the issue. People posting Jeremies beliefs are. They are also more likely to believe what the news service tells them.

Beemerup
05-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Jeremy is not the issue. People posting Jeremies beliefs are. They are also more likely to believe what the news service tells them.

Couldn't agree more! :bigpimp: I have such a distaste for the media. They are quite scary actually...and only because there are SO many people out there who believe everything they say is fact...when in most cases...it is fact editing so much that you might as well be reading the Enquirer to read up on which stocks to buy.

jishan
05-28-2010, 11:45 AM
x1 is just as like as i want.its just awesome machine to control,jeremy!

brkf
05-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Or find him amusing. My interest in the X1 is not changed by Jeremy's views. He blasts Porsche all the time and has a grudge agaist BMW. Shrug. Still find him funny. Same with Dan Neil.

UncleJ
06-07-2010, 12:49 PM
It would be interesting to see a comparo between the X1 and the new Ford Kuga (which is supposed to be in NA Markets next year.:D JC seems to like that one.

mrbelk
06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
My wife's X3 lease is up next May and we'll need something else for her in the "trucklet" category. Since we love ED, the new X3 is out and we're looking at X1, GLK, Q5, and XC60. We were at the Welt 2 weeks ago picking up my '11 335 and they had an X1 on the floor.

While we really like the exterior and interior design; we couldn't get over how poor the plastics were in the dash. They were worse than the plastics from the original X3 (and they were pretty bad). Now, the one they had on display was a "stripper" 1.8d, but I don't think the dash plastics would change in higher-end models. I am hopeful that BMW upgrades the materials before we have to make a decision.

We saw _tons_ of them driving around Germany, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, and England. It seems to be a very popular model over there along with the various 1er hatches.

-MrB

STE92VE
06-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson win American Idol?

X3 Skier
07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson win American Idol?

Actually, he was in a special Media version and lost out to Daffy Duck in the first round. Cowell said he couldn't sing (or speak) as well as the Duck and had the grace of Elmer Fudd. On top of that, he was 20 seconds slower in the Reasonably Priced Car lap time than a randomly selected audience member from Top Gear.

Cheers

SilverX3
07-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Clarkson never ever likes Bimmer.... He drives Merc and would not surprise me he has to rubbish Bimmer to keep his free Merc

Anonymousmoose
09-23-2010, 12:34 AM
I like Clarkson (not as much as James May though) yet he has always had a dislike with BMW. He says the 3 series is rubbish and the M3 isnt cool. Even when he drove the M6 he knew it was the best of the lost and he had to force himself to like it. So I dont really care what Clarkson says about if he likes it or not, but I do listen to his performance/technical reviews. Even if he hates a car, if it drives well, he will say it. Ie; M5. He didnt like it but he said it drove great.

daron001
03-19-2011, 01:46 AM
It's hard to take the guy seriously...his idea of performance is a 2nd gen SLK (which he bought).

darbyogill
03-19-2011, 03:22 AM
It's ugly, it has cheap interior materials, it rides harsh, and it's underpowered and expensive.

Sounds like an E83 X3 :dunno:

I keed... I keed...

sunstorm
03-19-2011, 05:13 AM
In his mind, BMW isn't a car maker ever,,,MB is the best(for him)

BUT, for me, BMW is the best i can buy...

SilverX3
04-23-2011, 01:58 AM
Opinions are like ass...

everyone has one.

Salu2

Till you fart that when your opinion smells

SilverX3
04-23-2011, 02:00 AM
In his mind, BMW isn't a car maker ever,,,MB is the best(for him)

BUT, for me, BMW is the best i can buy...he gets paid by merc

Anonymousmoose
04-23-2011, 04:05 AM
I gotta confess, I bought a Merc last week.... oh oh.

sunstorm
04-24-2011, 11:21 AM

+1. He try to find something bad on M3, but he failed. Otherwise he will say Cxx AMG is the king of xxxx

AzNMpower32
04-24-2011, 12:13 PM
+1. He try to find something bad on M3, but he failed. Otherwise he will say Cxx AMG is the king of xxxx
He likes the 135i and the new 5er.

HerrK
04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
It's hard to take the guy seriously...his idea of performance is a 2nd gen SLK (which he bought).

He an entertainer. Anyone who makes the statement "It doesn't feel like a pair of turbo chargers. It feels like a pair or TESTIES!! BIG MEATY ONES!" - Jeremy Clarkson on the N54 powered Z4. OMG I enjoy the heck out of my Z4, it is my daily driver, but seriously - big meaty testies. NOT. My original 427 Shelby Cobra - Yes big meaty testies.

Can't wait to see & drive the US configured X1's. Hope to do one for our next ED.

SilverX3
08-05-2011, 03:53 AM
Spoke two 2 x1 owners they agreed with jeremy

3ismagic#
08-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Saw a number of X1 last week on our ED trip. I thought it looked great. When it's time to replace the wife's ride I'll give it a serious look- hopefully for an ED.

3ismagic#
08-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Spoke two 2 x1 owners they agreed with jeremy

Are they mentally retarded? Why did they buy the car if it is "rubbish"?

UncleJ
08-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Some people like to have the first and newest of everything. Never could figure that out, but hey its their money.:D

WULFFZA
08-06-2011, 08:03 PM
He likes the 135i and the new Z4. And the M5/M6.

Honestly though, the only car anyone ever needs is a Golf. I agree.

Now here's something that you, I and Jeremy agree on! I am constantly drawn to the Golf. Everytime I see a GTI I smile and contemplate heading over and buying one - 4door, dark color, leather recaros, diablo style wheels : ). I think of all the grins I'll have everytime I drive it, whether its 2miles to the grocery store or a 500mile haul. I transends age groups, gender, income brackets and professions. No matter who you are, the GTI looks good on you. Whats holding me back? ugh, I shot myself in the foot and started driving BMWs, and now I feel like I am bound to them. Driving the Golf reminds of my college days Jettas. When I recently drove the Golf VI GTI, everything fell right to hand like I'd never stopped driving a VW. I like that! (cant say that about BMW, I wouldnt dare ask my mom to turn the air vents to blow on the feet on my E60, even after driving an E34 for 10yrs..) Before I die, I want a GTI!

AzNMpower32
08-06-2011, 08:12 PM
There are quite a few VW Golf TDIs in the Raleigh/Durham and the Piedmont areas of NC, driven presumably by smart people who realise that the diesel works wonders in the highway driving that defines the state.

SilverX3
08-07-2011, 03:25 AM
Are they mentally retarded? Why did they buy the car if it is "rubbish"?

They hate interior quality

torox
08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
I own an X1 for a few months now and I have to say that it was a mistake to buy this car.

The suspension (in combination with runflat tyres) is a bit too stiff. But what really annoys me is that it doesn't absorp small bumps and waves properly. Driving on the highway sometimes feels like riding a horse. The car permanently moves up and down.

Sound insulation is bad. The engine (18 d) is too present in the cabin, perhaps because there is no insulation mat at the bonnet? (even a Dacia Duster has that)

The vibration of the engine transmits to the steering wheel so that the hands are feeling a bit numb while driving long distances.

After driving the car for a few days I noticed some clutch judder. It became worse and worse as time went on. Now it is really bad. I think that this is unacceptable but it seems that there is no fix which really solves the problem. BMW will change software settings. If that doesn't help they will replace the clutch and/or flywheel. After that, the problem will be absent for a few thousand kms, but it will occur later on.

The X1 is my 4th BMW. I have never experienced such a huge letdown after buying a car. Yes, I did a test drive before I bought it, but I didn't noticed the major flaws of this car at that time. I know some other X1 driver who feeled exactly like I do... meanwhile he sold the car after driving it for only 4 months.

Overall I think that this car was not built with the same approach like the other BMW cars I drove before. All of them where built to be among the best in their class. In contrast to that, the X1 just feels mediocre at best.

AzNMpower32
08-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Wow, it sounds like dejá vu all over again, like when the E83 first came out.

3Coupe4me
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
After reading his full review here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article7105825.ece I can see his point.

AzNMpower32
08-08-2011, 08:06 PM
The latest comparison test by Auto-Bild suggests that the X1 might be already outmatched by the new Land Rover Evoque.

http://www.autobild.de/videos/video-range-rover-evoque-vs.-bmw-x1-1868867.html

Sure, the X1 drives more like a sports wagon and is more exciting, but then again, the 3er touring does that job better than the X1. The Evoque has a better interior, better ride, far better off-road capabilities without being a slop on the road. Similar fuel consumption figures too. And I gotta admit, it looks better than the X1 too.

Reedo302
08-10-2011, 12:55 AM
The Evoque looks like a Ford Edge mixed with a Kia. And the fuel economy is not similar. The top end is 8mpg less, which is a significant difference. Add to that the price tag, which will certainly be at least $10k more for the Rover. When talking about price, that's competing with well-equipped X3s.
Then, you take into account that it's a Land Rover. They routinely make the bottom of the list for Consumer Reports for reliability. BMW is not a prize horse and is usually in the bottom half, but at least they're not AT the bottom. Land Rover jockeys with Saab for the title of Least Reliable on an almost yearly basis.
Just sayin'

AzNMpower32
08-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Under the fuel consumption and CO² tests conducted under the EU combined cycle, both the Evoque (2,2 TD4, 4WD) and the xDrive18d attain a combined cycle figure of 5,7 l/100km or about 41 US mpg. The entry price for the Evoque Pure 4WD is ***8364;34.900 versus ***8364;32.200 for the xDrive18d but the Evoque comes with more standard equipment.

SilverX3
08-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Many owners here sell their cars second hand here after 5000km
BMW here are running specials to clear x1 stock
Honestly I would not buy one

Zeke77
08-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I want so much to "like" this car. My wife already wants one, and it is rare that I now find myself possibly needing to talk her out of it. That said, I'm still hopeful that X1 entry into the U.S. market will include some upgrades. This car could be such a hit if optioned correctly (and by "optioned," I mean coming out of the factory in a form more competitive to similar models.)

Separately, didn't I read earlier on this forum that BMW production couldn't keep up with demand for the X1 in Europe? Or is that just b.s.?

AzNMpower32
08-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Separately, didn't I read earlier on this forum that BMW production couldn't keep up with demand for the X1 in Europe? Or is that just b.s.?
I don't think its complete BS but I also think that BMW NA just isn't willing to rush the introduction of the X1.

The Leipzig factory is the one that manufactures the X1 for the entire world. It also manufactures the 1er so there are output and space limitations in the factory.

SilverX3
08-22-2011, 07:31 PM

that's BS

they can't sell X1 here and drop RRP by $3000 plus throwing in free serviecs for 3 years

still lots of stocks sitting in car yards

people are buying VW Tiguan for 1/2 the price and it's a better car

martin385
09-16-2011, 05:21 AM
i must admit i find Mr Clarkson, annoying at times. But regards the X1 he has hit the nail on the head, its a bloody awful car.
My wife has been driving hers for 3 weeks, in that time she has had 2 punctures..cost £200.00 per puncture,ok a few rattles and squeaks..which are to be sorted by BMW.
Got to drive it myself few days ago,,my toyota hilux feels like a range rover compared to this poor excuse of a car..
Its a major disappointment and its now on its way back to BMW.
:thumbdwn:

SilverX3
09-18-2011, 01:54 AM
i must admit i find Mr Clarkson, annoying at times. But regards the X1 he has hit the nail on the head, its a bloody awful car.
My wife has been driving hers for 3 weeks, in that time she has had 2 punctures..cost £200.00 per puncture,ok a few rattles and squeaks..which are to be sorted by BMW.
Got to drive it myself few days ago,,my toyota hilux feels like a range rover compared to this poor excuse of a car..
Its a major disappointment and its now on its way back to BMW.
:thumbdwn:

Spot on
Poorly designed car

madurodave
10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Opinions are like ass...

everyone has one.

Salu2

And they all stink!

Felix the Cat
11-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Under the fuel consumption and CO² tests conducted under the EU combined cycle, both the Evoque (2,2 TD4, 4WD) and the xDrive18d attain a combined cycle figure of 5,7 l/100km or about 41 US mpg. The entry price for the Evoque Pure 4WD is €34.900 versus €32.200 for the xDrive18d but the Evoque comes with more standard equipment.

Just read the reviews: the Evoque consumes much more than indicated in the specs. The X1 is more close to the specs.;)http://s1.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/icon12.gif