PDA

View Full Version : Need help with scam dealer

nyclio
04-29-2010, 08:35 PM
So I bought this 550i on March 15th.

March 15th:

Dealer charged me for GAP insurance AND extended warranty. ($1250 and $2000 respectively).

Dealer gave me temporary registration.

Fast forward to today:

April 30th:

GAP and Warranty:

I have been calling both the GAP insurance company AND the 3rd party insurance company to cancel both of these useless items without having to go through dealer - and here's something - neither of them have my name or car in any of their databases.

I never received proper registration or plates so I went into the dealership to complain in person (have been doing so over the phone for some time), and dealer gives me a handwritten registration with 2 proper plates.

I felt this was very shady, so I took plates and registration to my local police precinct to ask their opinion.

Cops told me that if I got pulled over with registration like what that dealer gave me, I would be arrested. It wasn't even registered to my car...rather some other Jeep.

I tried calling the dealer right then and there from the precinct but they were closed for the night.

WTF.

I am not sure what I should do now? Advice is most welcome.

jeffbtx
04-30-2010, 05:08 AM

March 15th:

Dealer charged me for GAP insurance AND extended warranty. ($1250 and $2000 respectively).

Fast forward to today:

April 30th:

GAP and Warranty:

I have been calling both the GAP insurance company AND the 3rd party insurance company to cancel both of these useless items without having to go through dealer - and here's something - neither of them have my name or car in any of their databases.

I never received proper registration or plates so I went into the dealership to complain in person (have been doing so over the phone for some time), and dealer gives me a handwritten registration with 2 proper plates.

I felt this was very shady, so I took plates and registration to my local police precinct to ask their opinion.

Cops told me that if I got pulled over with registration like what that dealer gave me, I would be arrested. It wasn't even registered to my car...rather some other Jeep.

I tried calling the dealer right then and there from the precinct but they were closed for the night.

WTF.

If this is important to you (it seems like it is or should be) forget the phone, camp out at the dealership until it gets resolved. BTW, why would you have agreed to the GAP and Extended Warranty when you bought the car - I think I would have asked what the extra $3,250 was for??

mleerob
04-30-2010, 05:59 AM

March 15th:

Fast forward to today:

April 30th:

GAP and Warranty:

WTF.

What kind of a dealership is it?
I would get a lawyer and get to civil court ASAP.
As long as he is in business, operating, it's your best bet to get this resolved.
You needa quick summary judgment, to have the transaction undone, or some amount of money to square the deal.
Chances are he has had problems with deals like this before you,and a decent lawyer, can get this accomplished quickly.
I would just get my money backa,nd get another car at another dealership.

I biught my 08 out of state,and did a lot of research about the store,but still It's a risk.
I didn't know a lot about the car I purchased,but I knew quite a bit about the dealership.

Good luck,and I would move fast.
If he's a big time crook ,he may have more than one DBA.

Bremen Ben
04-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Lawyer up.

z06bigbird
04-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Lawyer will cost about $3,000 unless he/she goes to court more than once.

Do your due-diligence on this dealership. Take paperwork to DMV (tax office). Get their advice.

Report back to us.

Bremen Ben
05-01-2010, 04:12 AM
Lawyer doesn't always mean immediate escalation to court battles and the whole nine yards. A good lawyer can give him insight on what his legal options are; a letter to the dealership from a lawyer would also be more effective in putting them on notice than ten phone calls from a regular joe consumer.

x3ronnie
05-01-2010, 05:50 AM
why not call a local media outlet and/or the Attorney General's office? Some pressure is needed here. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

dwlink
05-01-2010, 06:01 AM
Lawyer doesn't always mean immediate escalation to court battles and the whole nine yards. A good lawyer can give him insight on what his legal options are; a letter to the dealership from a lawyer would also be more effective in putting them on notice than ten phone calls from a regular joe consumer.

+1

Talk to a lawyer and have them send a letter to this dealership, they will be very responsive to that. Act quick though, if this place has been doing shady stuff for a while and another ongoing lawsuit bankrupts them, you will be out of luck.

dadesidon
05-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Get a lawyer to send a letter, also report the dealer to the BBB and to the cops...getting the AG involved would be ideal, coz they have the power to shut the place down pretty quickly.

JerseyGeorge
05-01-2010, 07:10 PM
The Police didn't look into this any further considering the dealer gave you fictitious tags and registration??????? I would call and speak to a Sgt or above and ask to press charges yourself!

The dealer INHO has breached his contract and a lawyer can prove this.....on the other hand you can subpoena a scum-bag but that dosen't mean they will show or not leave the state.

Good Luck!