PDA

View Full Version : Engine shut down backing out of my driveway...

jhd26
04-30-2010, 05:41 AM
2008 528XI bought as a CPO, auto transmission and 12700 miles now.

This morning I was backing out of my garage and driveway. When I switched to D and press gas peddle, the car did not move. I looked and found it on N mode. Then I noticed the engine was not running. I pressed and started the engine. It drove fine since.

I cannot replicate it after many tries.

It just felt like when you drive a stick shift and late in giving gas to kill the engine.

Anyone experienced something like that?

I wonder if I need to talk to the dealer or just wait and see if it happens again.

I only have this car for less than 2 months and 1200 miles.

Appreciate any feedback.

jhd26
04-30-2010, 08:43 AM
I assume no one else had this problem?

I own many cars. This is the first time an auto trans car did this to me.

HWF
04-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Coincidentally, I experienced this yesterday. I was backing out of my garage and down my driveway, a steep hill. I decided to test the "hill hold", and so I applied the brake to stop the car, and moved the lever to the Drive position. Took my foot off the brake and the car did not move. It was rock solid on the hill ... for about 5 seconds. Then it started to roll down the hill, and I noticed a slight "bucking" sensation. I applied the brakes and put it into neutral It was then that I noticed the engine was not running. I restarted it and was ok.

jhd26
04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Coincidentally, I experienced this yesterday. I was backing out of my garage and down my driveway, a steep hill. I decided to test the "hill hold", and so I applied the brake to stop the car, and moved the lever to the Drive position. Took my foot off the brake and the car did not move. It was rock solid on the hill ... for about 5 seconds. Then it started to roll down the hill, and I noticed a slight "bucking" sensation. I applied the brakes and put it into neutral It was then that I noticed the engine was not running. I restarted it and was ok.

Do all 5 series have this 'hill hold' capability?

I called the dealer. Service guy said it happened to his own car once but never again. Ask me to bring it in for service if it happens again.

Thanks for your post.

VPBMW
04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Do all 5 series have this 'hill hold' capability?

I called the dealer. Service guy said it happened to his own car once but never again. Ask me to bring it in for service if it happens again.

Thanks for your post.

Yeah i beleive all the e60's have hill assist. I have a stick and obviously it's more palpable. Defintely neat little feature, also would have loved to see the new 350z feature of SYNCHROREV MATCH on the 5 series. :)