PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on scratches.

gmatv16
04-30-2010, 07:44 AM
I posted similar post in detailed dept on this forum. I am reposting it to seek some suggestions here also. If this is not acceptable please delete my post.

Hello guys,

Today is a bad day for me , feeling awful and cursing myself.:cry: Today I woke up in the morning at 4 AM to drop my friend in Laguardia airport. It was dark and didnot see some stupid car parked close to my drive way. I put in reverse mode and them boom. I was like man :tsk:, my left rear passenger side hit the other car, thank god i was doing it very slowly so i got paint scratches only(atleast got away). This is the first time i had a scratch on my car and in my driving so I dont have any experience with scratches.

This forum has been helpful to many people like me, thanks to admins.

The scrathces are not deep, How can i get rid of them? Do i need to do detailing?
Somebody know any good detailing shop in NJ.

Can somebody please advice ? I attached images.

thanks guys, any help much appreciated.

jesimmons
04-30-2010, 07:47 AM
You can start with a good compound and try to rub them out... But if they are through the clear coat and deep into the paint layer, you'll probably need to have a good body shop do a paint correction.

gmatv16
04-30-2010, 07:53 AM
I am sorry to ask this question, Where do i get that compound how do i do rubbing. As i said i am new to scrathces and i dont have any amterial to correct this. Not a single scratch for the last 5,6 years. I was over confident and paid the price.

juney
04-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Detailing is not a DIY unless you are very much in to it

Just take it to any body shop or detailing place amd the can tell you if it can be fixed without painting They will definitely be able to mask the intensity of the scrach if not completely eliminate it

Painting should be the last option

Personally I can live with a minor scratch than repainting it

I am sorry to ask this question, Where do i get that compound how do i do rubbing. As i said i am new to scrathces and i dont have any amterial to correct this. Not a single scratch for the last 5,6 years. I was over confident and paid the price.

gmatv16
04-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the tip. I am not into DIY, does anybody know good body paint shop in NJ?
What they do, paint correction or detailing?

Kzang
04-30-2010, 09:08 AM
The second picture shows deep scratches all the way to the primer.. and possibly to the metal. No compound will buff that out.
For a cheap fix.. some good touch up paint and polish.. For a proper fix.. spend the $$ for a bodyshop to wet sand and repaint.

Kzang
04-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Detailing is not a DIY unless you are very much in to it

Just take it to any body shop or detailing place amd the can tell you if it can be fixed without painting They will definitely be able to mask the intensity of the scrach if not completely eliminate it

Painting should be the last option

Personally I can live with a minor scratch than repainting it

Why is repainting a last option? I have done repainting on several of my past cars and the paint blends perfectly if its done properly by a good body shop.

Billd104
04-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Body shop.

gmatv16
04-30-2010, 10:05 AM
spend the $$ for a bodyshop to wet sand and repaint.
How much would it cost for repainting?
The second picture shows deep scratches all the way to the primer
:cry:
Any suggestion on good body shop in NJ?
Can call my insurance to cover this under comprehension (my deductable is $250)?

juney
04-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Repainting will bring down your cars resale value

Why is repainting a last option? I have done repainting on several of my past cars and the paint blends perfectly if its done properly by a good body shop.

bbal
04-30-2010, 10:55 AM

It will also sell for less if there are ugly half-a$$ed repairs done using touch up paint. If repaired properly, it can be explained. No explanation will reassure a buyer when he sees an ugly repair job...it will just look like the owner does not care about his car.

Kzang
04-30-2010, 11:38 AM

It never brought the value down on my previous cars that I know of.
It actually brought the value up since the paint on my cars were in great condition.

Kzang
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
How much would it cost for repainting?

:cry:
Any suggestion on good body shop in NJ?
Can call my insurance to cover this under comprehension (my deductable is $250)?

I too have a scratch on the driver side rear corner panel. It's actually a keyed scratch that someone did. I went to a highend bodyshop that only repairs Mercs, BMW, Jag and they quoted me $650 to wet sand the 1 foot long scratch, and then repaint the whole corner panel along with the roof trim that runs all the way to the front of the car.

Painters do this so the "new" paint will blend flawlessly with the rest of the paint.

Google Auto Body shop in yoru area and go to each one for an estimate.
Or contact your dealer and ask for a referral on their body shops.

I'm still looking for a body shop to fix my scratches.

In your case, they would have to sand down the scratches and repaint the whole bumper and possibly the front panel of your car. I'm not an expert at this but this is just my guess based on my pass experiences where I had to get my scratches fixed.
The cost would vary from $350 - $600.
For something minor as this, unless your broke and can't fork up several hundreds of dollars... I wouldn't even have the insurance involved.

gmatv16
04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Google Auto Body shop in yoru area and go to each one for an estimate.
Or contact your dealer and ask for a referral on their body shops.

I'm still looking for a body shop to fix my scratches.

I also live in NJ, please let me know if you come across any good body shop, Iam also doing some research, So far I stumbled upon the following body shops.

1) JMK/Paul Miller CRCC - JMK is out for me because they do estimates only during weekdays. I donno about paul miller, will try to contact them tomorrow.

2) C&D auto body shop in Hackensack, NJ

3) Garden State Auto Body shop in edison, NJ

4) MAAC near brunswick, NJ

I am also planning to visit BIG "A" auto detailing in queens to see what he says.

God this is killing me , i wish i have power to change today morning mess.

Please share your info also with me, You can post here or PM me if you like.

thanks for your time.

gmatv16
04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
For something minor as this, unless your broke and can't fork up several hundreds of dollars... I wouldn't even have the insurance involved.

Only thing i was interested in insurance was my deductable for comprehension is $250 so i thought if i am paying for this dedcutable may be i should take advantage of this when repair exceeds 400. I donno wat happens if i involve insurance on this.

jesimmons
04-30-2010, 12:25 PM
If you are receiving an "accident free" reduction in premiums on your auto insurance, making a claim - even a small one - can cause them to eliminate that reduction.. So over time, the increased premiums may be more than the cost of the repair minus the deductible. For something that costs only a couple hundred $ to fix, its not worth involving the insurance company.

The safest thing for you to do is locate a reputable body shop and have them give you an estimate... The damage there appears to be paint only and not dents / creases in the panel. I'd say they could look at it and give you an estimate in 5 minutes or less. So it's not a lot of work to wet sand and repaint that. A good shop can blend and buff the new paint so that the whole fender does not need repainting. Its amazing what a competent body shop can do these days.

gmatv16
04-30-2010, 12:37 PM
If you are receiving an "accident free" reduction in premiums on your auto insurance, making a claim - even a small one - can cause them to eliminate that reduction.. So over time, the increased premiums may be more than the cost of the repair minus the deductible. For something that costs only a couple hundred $ to fix, its not worth involving the insurance company.

The safest thing for you to do is locate a reputable body shop and have them give you an estimate... The damage there appears to be paint only and not dents / creases in the panel. I'd say they could look at it and give you an estimate in 5 minutes or less. So it's not a lot of work to wet sand and repaint that. A good shop can blend and buff the new paint so that the whole fender does not need repainting. Its amazing what a competent body shop can do these days.

thanks for your advice. :thumbup: I will look for goog body shop and get an estimate.

jesimmons
04-30-2010, 12:41 PM
There's nothing worse than that empty "oh crap" feeling when you hear and feel that unexpected scrape. I know you'll get it fixed. Just take a few after pictures and post them here so we can all feel better with you. :thumbup:

gmatv16
04-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your support guys, will do and hope it gets fixed in a good way. I was not even concentrating on my work since morning.

bajanjack
04-30-2010, 05:57 PM
thanks for your advice. :thumbup: I will look for goog body shop and get an estimate.

Where in Jersey are you?...I agree with Kzang....I've had paintwork done in the past by a good body shop and could not tell the difference...and I am neurotic with this stuff!!

Nube1kenobi
04-30-2010, 07:01 PM

I am seriously wondering and dumbfounded where this mindset originated as I have seen more than one person voice it... why would repairing a car devalue it? Should the OP run around with those scratches and sell it as is when the time comes? A scratch repair is a cosmetic restoration and not a rebuild from junk state...

I am old but this train of thought is much older school than my poor head can handle... :confused:

gmatv16
05-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Where in Jersey are you?...I agree with Kzang....I've had paintwork done in the past by a good body shop and could not tell the difference...and I am neurotic with this stuff!!

I am in rutherford, NJ.

x3ronnie
05-01-2010, 06:07 AM
I am seriously wondering and dumbfounded where this mindset originated as I have seen more than one person voice it... why would repairing a car devalue it? Should the OP run around with those scratches and sell it as is when the time comes? A scratch repair is a cosmetic restoration and not a rebuild from junk state...

I am old but this train of thought is much older school than my poor head can handle... :confused:

I am with you. Cars get scratched and repaired. I agree with the poster who said, if you leave the scratches you look as if you don't take care of your car. To take it a step further, these scratches can lead to rust spots if left untreated and are deep enough. Then there is the pain that the OP is feeling that can be easily remedied.
As to the original question,the dealer is a good place to start looking for a body shop.
I can try to ease his pain by sharing an experience.
I had my '04 X3 for approximately 4 months and it was parked in the garage. It was January and I was going up and down my driveway with the snowblower. Wearing earmuffs,a hat,and a hood I had limited peripheral vision and hearing ability. As I backed up towards the garage and pivoted the snowblower to get the next swath,I caught a screw on the handle against the front fender of my X3. By the time I realized I had scratched the car,it was too late. There was a deep scratch about 6 inches in length right down to the bare metal. I immediately brought it to the dealer and agreed to have them repair it. Three days later I had my X3 back good as new. The repair cost was $1000 and my tax refund the same. To add insult to injury,I called my insurance company and tried to claim it on my homeowner's policy(advice from a friend). Not only was my claim denied,but I was told that this might be held against me in the future.
I have since managed to avoid similar incidences,but the grief I felt at the time was great.
So to the OP I say,get it repaired properly for many reasons,and enjoy your car.
We look forward to the pics after repair.

bajanjack
05-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I am in rutherford, NJ.

Well, you're about an hour from me here in Hunterdon County...in the past I've used "Flowers" and "Ken's" both out my way on Rt 12......do some homework on them, they are both outstanding......(I have no "connection" to either)-if they fix it, the car will be as good as new....

grateful1
05-01-2010, 02:25 PM

+1:dunno:

grateful1
05-01-2010, 02:26 PM

+1:dunno:

mleerob
05-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Appears to be beyond a detailer skill level.
Take it to a good body body shop.
No accident report will be generated, for items like this.

JerseyGeorge
05-05-2010, 12:03 AM

NO it will not if the job is done correctly and it dosen't involve major damage from a severe collision! I had a vehicle that incurred a $5500 collision repair and two years later with full disclosure the vehicle traded in like it never happened! The repair was done by a professional to a high standard!

ptabaco
05-05-2010, 05:52 AM
I had work done on my bimmers at this place, Matt is a great guy to deal with, he'll tell you what the right fix is.

C & D Body Shop
Matt Casiano
176 Saddle River Avenue Building G
South Hackensack, NJ 07026
973-779-049

Ralph III
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I managed a detail business at a dealer only auction for 14 years and would like to give my opinion.

1) I would take it to your local BMW dealership! If you don't won't to do that than a HIGHLY respected body shop. I once had my Mazda painted at a highly reputable shop and was not impressed. They feathered the paint in, instead of painting the entire quarter panel and was a B- job due to such. Though hard to see if you had a good eye it was noticeable. One year later I had a blowout which caused significant damage to front of car. Had the repairs made at a Ford dealership who matched it perfectly and very professional. Reputation and employee's!

2) Most of that could be buffed out from best I can tell in pictures, with exception of the few areas that are to the primer. Someone good at touch up could spot paint those area's. Add a professional buff and it could be virtually unnoticeable or otherwise insignificant.

3) The problem with painting the entire panel, depending on age of car, may be hard to get a perfect match. Even if you did, would you lie when a potential buyer asks if ever painted? If you say you had the entire quarter panel painted you better have pictures as otherwise many would walk no matter how minor you stated, "Whole quarter panel painted for a few scratches?". People can say such painting will not effect the value of the car but that really is subjective, now isn't it? On the other hand, if you have a BMW dealership address it that would mean something to potential buyers, whereas a non-BMW dealership repair could seem fishy! In fact, I would walk upon hearing that.

Good luck!

JerseyGeorge
05-05-2010, 11:53 PM
99% of people couldn't tell if it was repainted or not unless you told them! If the repair is done by a good shop and you know what to look for after the repair is completed and you're satisfied then what's the problem?

Fact is most NEW cars purchased have had minor body work done because of shipping damage and it didn't impact there sale value.....am I wrong Ralph?

Kzang
05-06-2010, 08:41 AM
99% of people couldn't tell if it was repainted or not unless you told them! If the repair is done by a good shop and you know what to look for after the repair is completed and you're satisfied then what's the problem?

Fact is most NEW cars purchased have had minor body work done because of shipping damage and it didn't impact there sale value.....am I wrong Ralph?

You are 100% correct. All "new" cars that are shipped from Germany in my area land in Newark PDC and they will repaint parts of the car body if there are any damages to it and still sell it as new.

razzy530
05-06-2010, 08:58 AM
You are 100% correct. All "new" cars that are shipped from Germany in my area land in Newark PDC and they will repaint parts of the car body if there are any damages to it and still sell it as new.

I heard those guys at Newark PDC are simply amazing. I only wish I could take my car there for body work.:eeps:

Ralph III
05-06-2010, 09:44 AM

You are probably quite right, however there are some things which should be pointed out.

1) If there is any repairs needed on a new car, as you exampled, BMW will make those repairs or have an authorized BMW shop do so! Either way it will be authorized by BMW and made as new again.

2) In case of the OP, if a potential buyer asks if the car has ever been painted, are you going to look him in the eye and say "No"? What if he has an issue arise at some point, takes it to BMW or otherwise, and discovers you lied?

3) You may be right in regards to 99% but that number could be off, if they are looking for it.

Again that depends on the ability to match and the quality of work done. Most every shop, no matter how good, will always leave signs of painting. Whether some over spray in cracks, under fender well, removed/replaced screws and/or abnormally clean areas. In any case all could give rise to doubts.

4) I don't think there would be any reason to put the car on a lift for this repair, but if another shop did so and caused some damage, you would void you BMW warranty for what ever damages they caused.

In looking for a BMW recently, we drove an immacullate 550i for sale by owner. I asked if it had ever had paint or such. He stated on the phone someone had backed into the driver door and scratched it but was purely cosmetic. Red Flag. We went over to drive the car and again I inquired. Now he stated someone had scratched the door and the front fender. He went on to say they actually replaced the door, though he saw no reason as cosmetic, and all painting was done off car. I inquired as to which BMW dealership made the repairs at which he stated he had another highly reputable shop do it. Red flags. In looking over the car I found some overspray in the area (door/fender crack). In continuing to look the car over I also found overspray on the passenger side. We had already decided against the car for preference reasons but there were other such issues without going into further detail. I will say they did an excellent job on the painting.

I am not saying he should or should not have it painted. But if he does, it would be my recomendation to take pictures and be honest about it. I would also suggest having BMW make the repairs!

Why should another shop making such repairs cause concern? Because BMW keeps a detailed history record of the car whereas a potential customer may never truly know the extent of damages/repairs made at another shop. That might be all the reason the owner took it elsewhere in the first place!

Take care and good luck :)

gmatv16
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks a lot guys for your support. here is how my baby going to be fixed.

Based on my research and your suggestions. I decided to go to JMK Auto Body shop ( from where i bought my car also). So i called them and realised that they do not work on weekends :( It would be impossible for me to go to JMK on weekdays. So I asked the guy (who is born and raised near my town and have very good experience in auto body shop).
He told referred another guy named John in Lyndhurst.

Couple of days back I met this guy and asked for his opinion. He told me scratches are on 3 panels(door, rear bumper, and another frame) and they broke clear coat but not metal so you would be looking at $1200. (I was not worried about money.) But he suggested me that why donot we buff it out first then will do touch up if you like just live with it OR we will reapaint it (his personal opinion). I liked his idea and alos i thought i live in North Jersey where scrathces are like everyday business. Even if i dont like cheap fix or if i get one more scratch on my rear bumper then i would repaint.

Today i dropped my car at his motor works place. He told me he is gonnna do buffing n sandpaper work. My fingers crossed.

My question to you guys is. What is my next step:
Polishing or Waxing or Detailing (I really wanted to know those words mean to my car)
Please forgive me for my ignorance on these matters and i am learning. May be i bought 5 series too early for my age.:) (I gifted this myself for my 26th bday)
PS: I drove infinity G35 S over the weekend, it's really good and powerful car BUT ahh that roadnoise on that car and bumpy ride made my BMW more lovable.

I will try to post some pics after couple of days.

Ralph III
05-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote by gmatv16: "...But he suggested me that why donot we buff it out first then will do touch up if you like just live with it OR we will reapaint it (his personal opinion)..."
That would be my first choice and as suggested!

If you ask him I am sure he would agree at that price, to go over the entire car to buff obvious scratches and then wax. This way your entire car will look new again. Just make sure he puts someone on it that knows their stuff.

Buffing can remove imperfections and bring back paint luster. Waxing helps protect the finish. A detail is just an extensive cleaning which can include waxing, buffing, vacuuming, shampoo, motor detail, etc.

Ralph

gmatv16
05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
then I guess my next step would be detailing to put a layer on my paint

Kzang
05-06-2010, 12:39 PM
then I guess my next step would be detailing to put a layer on my paint

Yes. Google polish vs waxing

Kzang
05-06-2010, 12:41 PM
PS: I drove infinity G35 S over the weekend, it's really good and powerful car BUT ahh that roadnoise on that car and bumpy ride made my BMW more lovable.

If you drove my BMW you will hear roadnoise and feel a bumpy ride too. It's the sports suspension and low profile tires not because its an Infinity.

mleerob
05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
If you drove my BMW you will hear roadnoise and feel a bumpy ride too. It's the sports suspension and low profile tires not because its an Infinity.

Agree.
It's a different ride.

A friend of mine has the Infinity Coupe.
I wish my 535i Sport had the same sound as this car.
It has the best sound.

I would love to hear my 535i Sport varoom when paddle shifting.
I prefer my 535i, but like the sound of that little car.

gmatv16
05-06-2010, 12:58 PM

hmmm...I thought 5 er always smoother comapredto others...anyway i was surprised infinity provided all the options (comforst access, 20 way adjustable seats, rear view camera...sports pckg..etc) on their G class itslef for very cheap price.:rolleyes:

gmatv16
05-07-2010, 06:52 AM
I picked up my car. The guy did reasonable job, scratches are gone n he put some touchup paint , it's invisible unless you know the spot and give a careful look. I am satisfied with the fix. I would go for detailing now.

I picked it up yesterday night and drove to my home but today morning when i strated my car, It gave this TPM warning for left rear end of tire (this is where scratches happened). Air pressure was fine on that tire, i called the guy and he told me he did not touch/remove the tire. I reset the TPM then it went away. Why did it throw an error like this? Is it normal? happens sometimes?

Kzang
05-07-2010, 07:39 AM
I picked it up yesterday night and drove to my home but today morning when i strated my car, It gave this TPM warning for left rear end of tire (this is where scratches happened). Air pressure was fine on that tire, i called the guy and he told me he did not touch/remove the tire. I reset the TPM then it went away. Why did it throw an error like this? Is it normal? happens sometimes?

It happens when the air is cooler. Normally you will lose pressure during fall/winter time and this has done it to me many times.

Last night in Jersey was kinda of chilly so that may be the case although yu did mention that you checked the pressure and didn't see any loss in pressure.

Kzang
05-07-2010, 07:40 AM
hmmm...I thought 5 er always smoother comapredto others...anyway i was surprised infinity provided all the options (comforst access, 20 way adjustable seats, rear view camera...sports pckg..etc) on their G class itslef for very cheap price.:rolleyes:

Your 5'er despite the sports package is going to smoother ride than my 535i sports package because your car doesn't actually have a sports suspension. Your sports package is purely cosmetic features only.

Ralph III
05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
I picked up my car. The guy did reasonable job, scratches are gone n he put some touchup paint , it's invisible unless you know the spot and give a careful look. I am satisfied with the fix. I would go for detailing now.

gmatv16 we would like some pictures!

You stated the guy did a "reasonable job"? It sounds like he did an excellent or great job but would like to see closeup pics.

Take care, Ralph

Bremen Ben
05-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Regarding the comment on the cabin noise on the Infiniti, I think it's across the board in their cars.

I got the chance to test drive the FX last year, the first thing I noticed was the road noise and the loud engine. It's as if there was a hole in the car somewhere letting the outside noises in; the noises were very pronounced. The sales person switched me to another FX on the lot with non-sport wheels, same noises. Then he switched me to a G37. The noises where less pronounced but still louder than my BMW.

Infiniti's are nice cars, but I don't believe they put in nearly as good of sound insulation as BMW does.

Kzang
05-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Regarding the comment on the cabin noise on the Infiniti, I think it's across the board in their cars.

I got the chance to test drive the FX last year, the first thing I noticed was the road noise and the loud engine. It's as if there was a hole in the car somewhere letting the outside noises in; the noises were very pronounced. The sales person switched me to another FX on the lot with non-sport wheels, same noises. Then he switched me to a G37. The noises where less pronounced but still louder than my BMW.

Infiniti's are nice cars, but I don't believe they put in nearly as good of sound insulation as BMW does.

Are you talking about the actual road noise/engine noise or the signature throaty exhuast notes that Infinity has these days? I test drove several G35, G37 and the new FX and only sounds not familiar with my BMW is the exhaust notes... other than that Infinity is a solid car and competative with our BMWs.

mleerob
05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I would like my 535i Sport to have that throaty exaust sound.
Especially in sport mode,and in M drive.
Downshifting and high revs would sound great with this exaust sound.

Sorry to be off topic of the OP.

gmatv16
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
gmatv16 we would like some pictures!

I will upload the pics over the weekend once i wash my baby :) .Then you guys tell me whether he did OK or not?

Bremen Ben
05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Are you talking about the actual road noise/engine noise or the signature throaty exhuast notes that Infinity has these days? I test drove several G35, G37 and the new FX and only sounds not familiar with my BMW is the exhaust notes... other than that Infinity is a solid car and competative with our BMWs.

It was the combination of road noise (loud tire??) and the engine noise on the FX; if it were the exhaust notes I wouldn't have minded a bit. ;) The sales person who came along for the ride admitted that the noises were a bit noticeable and thought it was probably because of the tires on the sport package. That's why he switched me to a non-sport package. My wife who was also riding in the car noticed the same thing. Other than that I actually like everything about the car very much, particularly the 360 degree around view cameras.

gmatv16
05-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Sorry guys i took some time to upload this pic. After some buffing and touchup, scratches are gone and touchup job is invisible unless you feel the spot. The guy did reasonable job for cheap fix. he took only 20 bucks for this. :)

Ralph III
05-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Sorry guys i took some time to upload this pic. After some buffing and touchup, scratches are gone and touchup job is invisible unless you feel the spot. The guy did reasonable job for cheap fix. he took only 20 bucks for this. :)

Are you saying he buffed and did paint touch up for $20.00 total? If so, looks like he did a great job at a fantastic brother-in-law price!

You keep saying he did a "reasonable" job, as if just adequate, but then describe it as excellent and indeed shows as such? Give credit where credit is due gmatv16.

I think you faired significantly better than having the entire area painted, don't you?

take care, Ralph

gmatv16
05-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Give credit where credit is due gmatv16

You are right, he did an excellent job. I already reffered this guy to my friend. I am completely satisfied with the fix and he saved lot of money.

BimmerRules!
04-02-2012, 10:59 AM
So I asked the guy (who is born and raised near my town and have very good experience in auto body shop).
He told referred another guy named John in Lyndhurst.

Couple of days back I met this guy and asked for his opinion.
Today i dropped my car at his motor works place.

This is a 2 year thread and I doubt if anyone knows about this but still want to check: anyone have contact info of this John and his shop in Lyndhurst, NJ?

Thanks!