PDA

View Full Version : Road Hazard Insurance - Best vs. Worst?

trollerboy
04-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Guys,

I apologize for posting this in E60 - but it is in reference to a 550i with 19" wheels.

What is your experience with road hazard insurance? Who should I look into? Who should I avoid? I checked other bimmerfest forums and couldn't find a relevant thread.

As always, your help is appreciated!

-TB

z06bigbird
04-30-2010, 09:37 PM
1. When you buy new tires, you can get road hazard for any tires. Perhaps 15% of tire cost. Well worth it, since 19s re very very expensive.

2. If you are talking re wheels, read the fine print and the limitations. Policies vary. Have any service mgr read the fine print. They are the experts.

3. Re the wheels, buy an extra set on the forums. About $100 to $125 per wheel. You can buy one at a time. People are always selling wheels. Keep in mind that the two hardest parts of a car to sell are: A. doors. B. wheels. Watch for bargains. Do not buy refurbished wheels. If buying the wheels locally, have a tire shop spin them for straight and true.

4. Chrome wheels are very cheap on the forums, as they are anathema for BMW owners.

pointandgo
05-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Some tire manufacturers such as Continental are offering RHzd insurance as part of the warranty for certain high performance tires. Check the Tire Rack web site. Some tire retailers offer it as an add-on. Expensive (including Tire Rack when the tire manufacturer doesn't offer it). Recently I purchased new Bridgestone REO5OA RFT tires and their company store offered Rhzd insurance at about $50.00 per tire. Discount Tire offered it much less (forget exactly). As I am convinced that the RFTs are vulnerable to impact, I bought the insurance for the FRONT tires. Having done that, I'll probably ruin a rear tire!:cry:

trollerboy
05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks - but when I buy a vehicle used, is there a way to get RHzd insurance at that point? I do like the idea of having a spare wheel just in case (but I will have to find a place to store it in Manhattan)