PDA

View Full Version : 1982 320 Idle problems

Holckster
04-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Car will start and idle high then die. If my foot is on the pedal the car runs great and drives fine too. The moment I take my foot off the pedal the RPMs nosedive and it dies. Any suggestions?

nancyp
05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi Holckster,
I had the same problem with mine, my mechanic told me it needs a new modulator valve, the part runs around $500-600. but will clear up the problem, since it is fuel injected, this part mixes the fuel, and must be malfunctioning, as mine was, or you can set the idle for the car to run rich, but you will use a ton of fuel!

Holckster
05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi Holckster,
I had the same problem with mine, my mechanic told me it needs a new modulator valve, the part runs around $500-600. but will clear up the problem, since it is fuel injected, this part mixes the fuel, and must be malfunctioning, as mine was, or you can set the idle for the car to run rich, but you will use a ton of fuel!
Thank you so much for the information. Is the modulator valve the same thing as the frequency valve? I'm having trouble finding a modulator valve.

Tasslehoff
05-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Have a look at your vacuum line, follow it through and make sure it is all connected properly, also trace back your throttle cable and check that the chain balls are not too loose or too tight. These are easily adjusted via the tensioner under the manifold.