PDA

View Full Version : Hidden OBC Menu

grateful1
04-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Don't know if anyone has seen this but I thought it was interesting. I'm sure there will be those here that will and won't find this interesting.

http://www.scoopz.com/m5board/E60_Hidden_OBC_Instructions.pdf

JerseyGeorge
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Good write-up....not sure how this can be helpful but hopefully someone comes along to explain it further!

mfumbesi
05-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Interesting.

AzNMpower32
05-03-2010, 08:32 AM
It's mostly a diagnostic menu but if you really want to know the coolant temperature or other details, it's logged in there as well. Works for all BMWs.

Spyder
05-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Don't know if anyone has seen this but I thought it was interesting. I'm sure there will be those here that will and won't find this interesting.

http://www.scoopz.com/m5board/E60_Hidden_OBC_Instructions.pdf

I found this fascinating as much for what's there, as what's not there. In the latter category, is info on when cabin and engine air filters, along with spark plugs, are due to be changed. These items are not included in the iDrive CBS indicators, and neither my dealer nor BMWNA could give me a straight answer on how one determines when these services are due beyond "bring it in and we'll read your key." Any ideas?

My 535 has just gone out of factory warranty, and my 650 will do so in a few months. I plan on maintaining the cars myself, so need to know when the above items are due for servicing. Spark plugs are of particular interest b/c one can simply check the condition of cabin and air filters. My 535 had plugs changed at 34k mi during an oil service w/o any warning to me beforehand. I suspect that the NA 650 (currently at about 25k mi) will go a lot longer--someone suggested 90k mi--before a plug change is called for. Curious.

Spyder

grateful1
05-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Per the attached 2008 5 series warranty document it looks like spark plugs need to be changed every 45k. Also, air filters look to be changed with every third oil change. I didn't see any recommended timeframes in regards to the in cabin filters.

Spyder
05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Per the attached 2008 5 series warranty document it looks like spark plugs need to be changed every 45k. Also, air filters look to be changed with every third oil change. I didn't see any recommended timeframes in regards to the in cabin filters.

First of all, thanks for this. While it's not surprising that I overlooked the obvious, it is surprising that a call to BMWNA--I was put on hold while the person at the other end checked with "experts", LOL--yielded no useful info.

Anyway, the cabin/micro-filter service is included in the oil service. To wit...

Engine oil
Maintenance work
Change the engine oil and oil filter. We recommend
BMW High Performance 5W-30 Synthetic
Oil P/N 07 51 0 017 866.
Replace ventilation microfilter
After every 3rd engine oil change: Intake air
cleaner: replace air filter element (reduce
replacement interval in dusty operating
conditions).
Parking brake: check function

Ineterstingly, my 07 650 service/warranty booklet does not list the cabin filter under oil service. Also note that the V8 (in both the 550 and 650) call for spark plug change at 100k mi; while the 535 calls for it at 45k mi.

Spyder

JerseyGeorge
05-05-2010, 12:57 AM
"In the latter category, is info on when cabin and engine air filters, along with spark plugs, are due to be changed. These items are not included in the iDrive CBS indicators, and neither my dealer nor BMWNA could give me a straight answer on how one determines when these services are due beyond "bring it in and we'll read your key." Any ideas?"

My car is a 2007 530XI and my Idrive shows CBS for the spark plugs and cabin filter....not engine air filter.

Nightmaren2
05-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Is there a way to check the fault that brings the "transmission failsafe programme" on the dashboard? It sometimes says "trunklid open" even when the trunk is not opened

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app