PDA

View Full Version : My X5 vibrates during acceleration only, please help!!

SamTaha
05-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Took it to the dealer twice for this problem and they can't figure it out, but I'm sure someone here can help!

CAR:

2006 BMW X5 4.8is, ~80k kms.

PROBLEM:

Depressing the throttle makes the car shake, noticeable at speeds > 80 km/h. The more aggressively I accelerate the more noticeable the shaking is especially if the gear kicks down. For example, if I'm cruising on the highway and I decide to "hit the gas" to speed up to pass a car, the vibrations/car shake is very noticeable. As soon as I take my foot off the pedal, shaking stops.

Dealer checked for all kinds of fault codes and replaced the air flow meter but that didn't help.

They found that one of my rims is slightly bent and they're claiming that this is the problem, but obviously this doesn't explain the fact that the shaking only happens during acceleration and goes away when I take my foot off the pedal - so I'm not convinced at all by their diagnosis.

ANY IDEAS????

Craig B
05-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Have them check your wheel bearings...

Craig

SamTaha
05-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Would wheel bearings cause the car to shake/vibrate ONLY during moderate-to-high acceleration at high-way speeds, or all the time?

ard
05-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Engine and transmission mounts. As the torque causes the drivetrain to twist it transmits the vibration- can also misalign the components causing vibration.

petener999
05-01-2010, 01:34 PM
^^^^you are very right sir:thumbup:

ard
05-01-2010, 02:25 PM
OP. Have you changed you ATF (transmission fluid)?

If you plan on keeping the car for a while I suggest you consider that.

A

SamTaha
05-01-2010, 02:29 PM
OP. Have you changed you ATF (transmission fluid)?

If you plan on keeping the car for a while I suggest you consider that.

A

The car has been dealer maintained and very recently (i.e. one month ago) did major service (inspection II). Not sure if the the ATF is included in this.

Is it normal to change transmission fluid at 80k kms? I'd think the dealer would have recommended that....

petener999
05-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Here you SamTaHa, this should give you an ideal on inspection I and inspection II. http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/misc/BMW%20Service%20Schedule.pdf

ard
05-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Here you SamTaHa, this should give you an ideal on inspection I and inspection II. http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/misc/BMW%20Service%20Schedule.pdf

THis is useless.

1. BMW has different recommendations based on market and motor.
2. This list fails to list Transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, differential fluid!!!!!

OP- If you are relying on your dealer to "do the right thing", either your or the next owner will pay the price for BMWs generally miserable maintenance schedule.

They say ATF is "lifetime".. and they are generally correct since the automatic trannies tend to die young. BMW considers 100k miles pretty much 'the lifetime'.

Ask your dealer when they changed tranny, diff, coolant and brake fluids- see what they say

HT417
05-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Engine and transmission mounts. As the torque causes the drivetrain to twist it transmits the vibration- can also misalign the components causing vibration.

Strongly agree that this a possibility. My first X3 had a bad left motor mount on delivery and the symptom was a horrendous vibration through the steering wheel and resonance through the entire cabin at speeds of around 40mph/70kph and above. They also ended up replacing the front diff because of a crack. I don't know if the bad mount caused that or not.

ish
05-02-2010, 04:49 AM
Does the vibration increase as it gets closer to shifting?

If so I would suggest they look at the driveshafts, particularly the front, joints and balance.

SamTaha
05-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Does the vibration increase as it gets closer to shifting?

I don't think so... At high way speeds there is little shifting going on, unless I really accelerate causing a downshift/kickdown. When this happens, the shake definitely increases for those few seconds when I'm accelerating until I go back to cruising speed.

Sometimes even light throttle - not really accelerating but simply maintaining speed - would cause some vibrations, and by simply taking my foot off the pedal the shaking would go away.

The vibrations aren't felt in the steering wheel, it's the whole car vibrating.

finnbmw
05-02-2010, 01:06 PM
How old and worn are your tires? Are they balanced? I've noticed on non-BMW's that when the tires are starting to get worn and/or out of balance I would sometimes notice vibration whenever accelerating. This is more pronounced when accelerating up a hill. Somebody told me that this has to do with the front end getting "lighter" when accelerating, thus transmitting more of the tire imbalances through the body and steering column. Just a thought...

HT417
05-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Transfer case? :dunno:

I remember reading where someone fixed a similar problem by either changing the fluid or replacing a solenoid.

n1c3tr1
05-07-2010, 11:11 AM
CV Joints...

thinkinbimmer
05-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Any updates to this?? i just picked up my 07 4.8 for my fiance and at about 120km i also get a vibration thru the car. Only under hard acceleration tho....

Any ideas?

Tony Elston
05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I have just baught a X5 4.4 and I have the same problem you had a year ago, did you sort out your vibration problem, was it the engine mounts.

SamTaha
05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey guys... i finally got it fixed. It turned out to be one of the front axle shafts (aka driveshaft), which was slightly bent for some reason, possibly from hitting a curb or a pot hole. Dealer replaced it and all is well now (but not a cheap fix). "ish" turned out to be right :-)

Hope that helps.