PDA

View Full Version : should i keep my 545i SMG or not?

shami
05-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Guys i need opinion about keeping 05 545i SMG or should i sell it?. In my first year of ownership i have spent nearly about 2500$ fixing the transmission. First thing went wrong was some DSU module before replacing this module. Shifting was terrible when i shift to "D" mode it used to takes about 5 seconds delay, after replacing it made hug difference now it takes about 1 second delay which i think it's normal for SMG. second issue was recently happened, the SMG pump and relay went bad. Replaced both of them and now everything is running fine. My question is should i keep it or just sell it as I'm planning on keeping this car for about 100K plus right now it has about 54350 miles. I love the car and its drives fine ever since i fixed these two issues.

So here I am thinking should I or should I not?

Thanks and any feedback will be appreciate.

OKC
05-02-2010, 03:19 AM
NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER

Own one of theses cars outside of warranty!

shami
05-02-2010, 08:09 AM
OKC,

I do have extended warranty but these issues weren't covered. but again thanks for the feedback.!

skylolow
05-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Impossible to say if your going to have more issues.

Extended warranty on a BMW is usually a good idea. Just make sure its one that covers electronics.

shami
05-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Skylolow,

That's exactly what making me think over and over but again this is my weekend car and i do take it to work which is about 25 miles each way so total is 50 miles once a week and then on the weekend i usually drive 30 to 50 miles. I think if i drive like normal person then car should be fine lol. Its hard to drive these type of car slow especially SMG. What do you think could go wrong in future? SMG unit which is about 5k. I'm not really looking forward to replace it anytime in future. Extended warranty i have purchased does cover lot of stuff but they don't cover SMG unit and SMG computer. So again here i am thinking...?? :eek:

Thanks for the feedback..!!!

Elias
05-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Do you buy your car from a BMW Dealer and was it CPO'd?

shami
05-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Elias,

I bought it from local independent dealer. Most of the car he's sells were BMW.

skylolow
05-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Skylolow,

That's exactly what making me think over and over but again this is my weekend car and i do take it to work which is about 25 miles each way so total is 50 miles once a week and then on the weekend i usually drive 30 to 50 miles. I think if i drive like normal person then car should be fine lol. Its hard to drive these type of car slow especially SMG. What do you think could go wrong in future? SMG unit which is about 5k. I'm not really looking forward to replace it anytime in future. Extended warranty i have purchased does cover lot of stuff but they don't cover SMG unit and SMG computer. So again here i am thinking...?? :eek:

Thanks for the feedback..!!!

The SMG pumps are hit or miss. If I had to put a number on it from doing my research it seems like between about 50K and 75K in miles is when most people have a pump failure. Off course there is people with 100K plus with no issues and some with 20K that had issues. Most indy shops can do the pump replace for about 1K.

Odd that your extended warranty won't cover the SMG part. Even the most basic warranties usually cover things related to the powertrain. I say keep the car since you have a warranty that will cover your ass if you got anything major go out. Little things find a good indy shop. It will save you a lot of money.

shami
05-03-2010, 05:41 PM
skylolow,

Like i said man, i love the car its freaking awesome and i always wanted SMG but didn't know that much until i owns it lol. Well my only question is how can i tell when SMG unit or SMG computer about to go wrong. what are the signs? Plus my high school buddy owns an indy shop he work on German cars. I have him checked everything and he mentioned all good. so just trying to get the answer of one question mentioned above.

Thanks, everyone

skylolow
05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
skylolow,

Like i said man, i love the car its freaking awesome and i always wanted SMG but didn't know that much until i owns it lol. Well my only question is how can i tell when SMG unit or SMG computer about to go wrong. what are the signs? Plus my high school buddy owns an indy shop he work on German cars. I have him checked everything and he mentioned all good. so just trying to get the answer of one question mentioned above.

Thanks, everyone

Usually you'll get transmission fail error when it goes out. Sometimes just restarting the car after it sits a little while will clear the error and it will work fine. But usually as time goes by it will pop up again and fail.

If you move your shifter to R or D and the car doesn't respond can be another sign of things to come.

SMG isn't as complex as its made out to be. Do some searching on these forums and 5series.net about SMG. I've posted some very useful links to SMG in some of the threads as has other people. Your buddy can easily do work on it. So I won't worry about it and just enjoy your car. You got it fixed and chances are you shouldn't have to worry about it for many many miles.

shami
05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Usually you'll get transmission fail error when it goes out. Sometimes just restarting the car after it sits a little while will clear the error and it will work fine. But usually as time goes by it will pop up again and fail.

If you move your shifter to R or D and the car doesn't respond can be another sign of things to come.

SMG isn't as complex as its made out to be. Do some searching on these forums and 5series.net about SMG. I've posted some very useful links to SMG in some of the threads as has other people. Your buddy can easily do work on it. So I won't worry about it and just enjoy your car. You got it fixed and chances are you shouldn't have to worry about it for many many miles.

Thanks,
Skylolow you always told me the right thing. Yes i'm loving my car and staying positive. :thumbup: