PDA

View Full Version : 2008 550i Starting Problems

djz
05-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I am new to the forum and I am hoping that someone can give me a better answer then my dealership, which can not replicate the problem therefore has no answers. My car occasionally wont start. The battery was diagnosed as full power. The car just will not start. I hit the start button and nothing happens. Ten minutes or so later it will start. I did notice today, after my wife with our 7 month old newborn in her hands stated were are never taking my car out again, that as I sat in the car and waited, a humming sound came from the engine area and then it started right up. The dealership did replace the gear selector switch which, I was told was the cause of my problems. This apparently did not help. I am hoping that someone here could help me or point me in the right direction.

josh18922
05-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the ignition switch.

Maybe have them check it.

djz
05-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks very much. I am going to contact my dealership and hope this solves the problem.

jondhoughton
01-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Any luck with this? I've been fighting this problem for over a year now. The car may not start for 30 minutes, just no response when pressing the start button. Additionally the car will just randomly shut off when driving. So far they've replaced the battery, the CAS (key receiver) and are replacing the starter now. I don't have much faith in the starter being it due to the random stalls...

mjsmn
01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Having same occasional problem with my 2007 550. Can't put a finger on when it happens, but it seems to be related to short trips???

Never happens if the car has been sitting for an extended period of time.

Nube1kenobi
01-26-2012, 06:13 PM
This is what you V8 owners share with your 7-series bubbas... appears to be the same issue. Search for the "Integrated Supply Module".

migster
01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
This issue can be repaired with a $114 part... IVM or Integrated Supply Module. Nube (above) is exactly correct. I have a 2008 550i SPORT and had the same problems as described above. The steering column goes up and down when you hit the START button; but no ignition. This simple part will clear all your problem!! Michael Mig.

Oceans10
01-28-2012, 07:54 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E53-E60-E65-E66-INTEGRATED-MODULE-SUPPLY-/320834761780?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26o tn%3D5%26pmod%3D150597584791%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5 942914940355576304

mjsmn
01-29-2012, 06:35 AM
I read through some of the posts in the 7 series forums - certainly seems in line with what I've been seeing. I'm still under CPO warranty; hopefully I can get the dealer to check into this. The problem, as always, is the occasional nature of the issue. They don't tend to like to replace things that they can't validate are broken!

mjsmn
03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I took the car into the dealer last month, and others suggested, the dealer replaced the Integrated Supply Module. They also replaced the "electronic steering wheel lock" as they said that was contributing to the problem as well.

Haven't seen mention to this steering wheel lock before so thought I'd mention it in case others run into this in the future.

jondhoughton
03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Just to circle back around - the IVM replacement did solve this problem for me as well. thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread - this has been driving me nuts!

Nube1kenobi
03-22-2012, 11:28 AM
:thumbup: Glad it worked out for you. There are so many issues that seem to crop up once in a while that can be traced all the way back to previous models as well. So search is our best friend in this forum.

GRACEVICTOR33
09-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Guys, i really appreciate all your contributions to helping poor guys like us make it through enjoying our cars. For five months, i have been battling with my 2008 BMW 550i sports. Car will not start. Car will stall while driving. Battery changed still same. Voltage regulator replaced still same. Crankshaft sensor replaced still same and even shows codes p0335 and p1727. Last Wednesday, after fueling my car at a gas station and jumped in to take off to work, car will not start. After 35 minutes, it started. And two miles later, it stalled. I started having this problems from the day i got my car back from the dealer due to recall for brake booster and battery cable. I took the car back complaining that it was malfunctioning. As usual, our guys (dealers) took the car and diagnosed. Returned telling me I needed to replace my alternator due to a bad voltage regulator and change my battery. I took my car back home in April 2012. From there on I started reading postings on this forum. I followed all you good guys. Replaced the voltage regulator, replace the crankshaft sensor, replaced the alternator seal which the midtronic stated caused the alternator to leak. After all these, I still had error codes above. When Michael stated that all that could resolve this problem was IVM - integrated supply module, i was worried about spending additional money on the car. Today I made a bold step to replace the IVM. Car started at a touch and no delay. I told my mechanic that i will not drive the car until he does and he jumped into it for a test drive. The next thing i heard from him was 'OMG this car has so much power' he exclaimed. We drove round for about four miles stop and started the car and had no problems. Upon return to the shop, I asked him to check for the codes, he did three times and there was not a single code stored. I have just added forty miles now on the car and I cannot explain how pleasurable the car ran. Should this be the cure for my six months of ordeal, I say thanks to all you good guys. I thank you Michael for your convincing post and insistence on IVM. I will return here after a few days to give updates on the car. Right now I am going for another ride...can you imagine how i missed my ride?

Sparjmi
10-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks to everyone on this thread, have been dealing with intermittent issues over the past year with my 2008 550i sport going into a crippled drive mode, shutting off while driving, and/or refusing to start for up to 15 minutes... This behavior always raised numerous errors in the iDrive console such as "malfunction in transmission", "DBC malfunction", "Drive control systems malfunction", and that old holiday favorite "start-off assistance inactive".

Each time i would get to the dealer (usually after having to restart the car) the codes had vanished. Since they could not reproduce the problem they had no clue what to do about it. Eventually I took pictures of the errors... which were of no help to the dealer in solving the problem either. a "PUMA" ticket was even allegedly opened so that the engineers in germany could look at the car's logs - also to no avail. This past week it happened again and I dropped everything and brought the car limping and sputtering (it was locked in 3rd gear) to the dealer where I *insisted* they diagnose it before shutting it off... Lo and behold they came back with an IVM fault. It's since been replaced and thus far I've had no issues.

Thanks to all on this thread, from what I'm reading I have high hopes that this has solved the problem once and for all... Well certainly reply back if it hasn't!

Midgual
03-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I've been dealing with this problem for at least 3 months now. Finally found this forum after searching the web once in a while at nighttime. Changed the module out yesterday and haven't had the problem since. Had trouble starting every few weeks for about 2.5 months. Past 2 weeks its not been starting every time I drive less than 5 miles. Thanks for your help everyone!

rideme2
10-31-2013, 02:08 PM
I've been dealing with this problem for at least 3 months now. Finally found this forum after searching the web once in a while at nighttime. Changed the module out yesterday and haven't had the problem since. Had trouble starting every few weeks for about 2.5 months. Past 2 weeks its not been starting every time I drive less than 5 miles. Thanks for your help everyone!

Where is it located?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Übel ein
11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Where is it located?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Same question from me... Where is this IVM located? Heard it's a fairly easy job, clips and no tools involved, but cannot seem to locate it. :dunno:

rideme2
11-04-2013, 01:13 PM
We'll I found it under the hood left side passenger side under the air filter. It's call the EBOX. Don't know if the 550 is the same???

schpenxel
11-04-2013, 01:38 PM
We'll I found it under the hood left side passenger side under the air filter. It's call the EBOX. Don't know if the 550 is the same???

It's in the same place on 545, so probably same on 550.

If you're standing in front of the car, looking at the engine, it's in the forward/left corner (passenger side, closest to the firewall). There's basically a waterproof box with all of the computers in it--under all of the computers is a fan to keep them cool