PDA

View Full Version : High Battery drain, any solutions?

sanju74
05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
All,
I have seen the high batter drain alarm on my E60 (07 530i). The times that this has happened is when I leave the car parked for several days. I just purchased the car (used), so I don't know if the previous owner took it to the dealer or not. This seems to be an issue that a lot of people are experiencing. Is there an easy solution to this? Or do I have to take it to the dealer?

Thanks

Sanjay

mleerob
05-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I have yet to see this alarm.
Is it a check engine code?

vern
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
All,
I have seen the high batter drain alarm on my E60 (07 530i). The times that this has happened is when I leave the car parked for several days. I just purchased the car (used), so I don't know if the previous owner took it to the dealer or not. This seems to be an issue that a lot of people are experiencing. Is there an easy solution to this? Or do I have to take it to the dealer?

Thanks

Sanjay
Do a search related to "Sleep Mode", you might find your answer there. good luck
chees
vern

ALANFLL
05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
?

Bremen Ben
05-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Trickle charge the battery to full, then see how it does. If the problem doesn't recur after that, you should be fine.

If it continues to have discharge problem despite charging, take the car to dealership.

If the battery doesn't hold charge with a few days of parking, then it's a sign of problem either with the battery or the car not going to sleep. My previous 525 never had any problem; I could come back from a 3-week trip and the car would start right off.

alexzeng
05-03-2010, 05:52 PM
All,

Thanks

Sanjay

I reported this problem when I bought my 08 528i a couple of months ago. Search this E60 forums under my user name alexzeng.

I took my car to a BMW dealer. They found out that the battery went bad probably because the car was on dealer's lot for too long. The battery is not under under warrenty. I went to batteriesplus to replace the battery recently. the new battery has been good to me for more than days so far without any additional charge. I drove the car less than 10 miles every weekday.

grant6398
05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I reported this problem when I bought my 08 528i a couple of months ago. Search this E60 forums under my user name alexzeng.

I took my car to a BMW dealer. They found out that the battery went bad probably because the car was on dealer's lot for too long. The battery is not under under warrenty. I went to batteriesplus to replace the battery recently. the new battery has been good to me for more than days so far without any additional charge. I drove the car less than 10 miles every weekday.

I took my car to the dealer last week for the "high battery drain" message. After a couple of days of testing, the battery was replaced under warranty with no questions asked. I purchased a Battery Tender Plus at Amazon.com. This was recommended by many on this forum. My hope is that this will alleviate any future issues with the battery.

alexzeng
05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I took my car to the dealer last week for the "high battery drain" message. After a couple of days of testing, the battery was replaced under warranty with no questions asked. I purchased a Battery Tender Plus at Amazon.com. This was recommended by many on this forum. My hope is that this will alleviate any future issues with the battery.

Lucky for you getting free battery replacement.

Hopefully you do not need your battery tender for your new battery. At least, I do not need it for now, almost two weeks after I replaced my battery, will see.

Bremen Ben
05-04-2010, 04:13 PM

Hopefully you do not need your battery tender for your new battery. At least, I do not need it for now, almost two weeks after I replaced my battery, will see.

Actually I don't think we should call ourselves lucky when we get battery that dies prematurely replaced under warranty; it's just good business practice to do that. My dealership also replaced the battery under warranty after my recent saga of accelerated battery drain. For a battery on a $50K car to die after mere 2-3 years of use is not normal.

grant6398
05-04-2010, 07:12 PM

After reading hundreds of stories on this "High Battery Drain" issue, I can only conclude it is a design defect. Now that I have a new battery, I am doing my best to maintain its good condition by continuing to use the Battery Tender Plus since any batteries after warranty are coming out of my pocket. Good luck.

cccplus
05-05-2010, 12:39 AM
unfortunately, with all bmw's computerize gizmos, our battery will die faster. i'm seeing lots of posting with dead battery after 4/5 yrs.

Stock545i
05-05-2010, 05:41 AM
Sounds like a weak battery, what is the date stamp on the battery negative post? It may be something like 32 07, first 2 digits are the week while the last 2 is the year. If you bought it used, hopefully the previous owner didn't swap out the battery and give you an older/dud battery?

You can easily test the battery, if it's charging when you drive, and when parked what the voltage is. If the voltage drops significantly or the battery doesn't hold it' charge then it's the battery.

If your battery looks good, then get the dealer to do run a closed circuit current draw test before buying any replacement parts. I had a similar issue and in my case it ended up being my ccc drive that was drawing the excessive current and giving me the same message.

Also if your battery is black, it is AGM - better than the white one (wet-cell).

Good luck.

545iSMG
05-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Although a battery replacement may be the correct resolution to some of these issues, based on my experiences and that of others I've communicated with, I believe that many of these "high battery drain" messages are a result of a faulty module not allowing the car to sleep properly. Usually, if properly diagnosed -- which is the tricky part -- the technicians will find something that keeps waking the car up at regular intervals. Once the faulty module is replaced and the car remains in sleep mode, everything works well.

The big problem, as I said above, is the proper diagnosis of the problem. When a technician can't figure it out and/or contacts BMW who also can't figure it out, they usually do something like replace the battery and tell the owner to get a trickle charger due to their "unfavorable driving profile". This is total BS! The car, when everything is working properly, should be able to sit for weeks, maybe even months, and still start up with no battery warnings, etc.

One important thing to keep in mind...if the car sits, for example, in your garage and you often open a door or the trunk to get something out of it without starting or driving the car, you'll likely get the high battery drain message since the act of opening the car wakes it up. Once awake, it will drain the battery for over 15 minutes until is goes back to sleep. Once asleep, if you get something out of it again, the car wakes up and drains the battery again until the next sleep cycle begins...

Check out the following for more information about this problem:
http://forums.5series.net/topic/93363-08-lci-e60-battery-drain/page__view__findpost__p__1103470
http://forums.5series.net/topic/92116-550-started-right-up

sanju74
05-05-2010, 07:01 AM
I am going to take the car to the dealer and hope they change the battery for free.

alexzeng
05-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Sounds like a weak battery, what is the date stamp on the battery negative post? It may be something like 32 07, first 2 digits are the week while the last 2 is the year. If you bought it used, hopefully the previous owner didn't swap out the battery and give you an older/dud battery?

You can easily test the battery, if it's charging when you drive, and when parked what the voltage is. If the voltage drops significantly or the battery doesn't hold it' charge then it's the battery.

If your battery looks good, then get the dealer to do run a closed circuit current draw test before buying any replacement parts. I had a similar issue and in my case it ended up being my ccc drive that was drawing the excessive current and giving me the same message.

Also if your battery is black, it is AGM - better than the white one (wet-cell).

Good luck.

Gawsh, my bad battery is the white one, now replaced with a black one.

BMW does need to improve the car design. The battery cpomanies do need to improve battery life.

vern
05-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Although a battery replacement may be the correct resolution to some of these issues, based on my experiences and that of others I've communicated with, I believe that many of these "high battery drain" messages are a result of a faulty module not allowing the car to sleep properly. Usually, if properly diagnosed -- which is the tricky part -- the technicians will find something that keeps waking the car up at regular intervals. Once the faulty module is replaced and the car remains in sleep mode, everything works well.

The big problem, as I said above, is the proper diagnosis of the problem. When a technician can't figure it out and/or contacts BMW who also can't figure it out, they usually do something like replace the battery and tell the owner to get a trickle charger due to their "unfavorable driving profile". This is total BS! The car, when everything is working properly, should be able to sit for weeks, maybe even months, and still start up with no battery warnings, etc.

One important thing to keep in mind...if the car sits, for example, in your garage and you often open a door or the trunk to get something out of it without starting or driving the car, you'll likely get the high battery drain message since the act of opening the car wakes it up. Once awake, it will drain the battery for over 15 minutes until is goes back to sleep. Once asleep, if you get something out of it again, the car wakes up and drains the battery again until the next sleep cycle begins...

Check out the following for more information about this problem:
http://forums.5series.net/topic/93363-08-lci-e60-battery-drain/page__view__findpost__p__1103470
http://forums.5series.net/topic/92116-550-started-right-up
Very well put but as good as you put it you still won't convince some that its the sleep mode or some add on that prevents the car from going into sleep mode because it was install wrong and causing high battery drain.
cheers
vern

alexzeng
11-05-2010, 07:02 PM

It has been six months after I bought an after-market battery from BatteryPlus. The battery appears works fine. I took my 528I to a local BMW dealer for scheduled oil change and had a routine checkup this week. The dealer printed out a report saying that my after-market went bed and it needs to be replaced. I went back to BatteryPlus since the battery is still under warranty. They checked and found nothing wrong. I went to Autozone just for battery check. Again, nothing wrong.

The lesson here, my local BMW dealer is just too greedy.