PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Expiration

Ralph III
05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Hello,
Our warranty expires next week and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions before such occurs? This was a recent pre-owned purchase from a high end dealership (non-bmw). Clean carfax, records, one owner trade in.

The car was apparently serviced recently, runs as new with low miles; thus I will not be getting any extended warranties. Having said that, I am going to have our local BMW dealership perform a free 35point inspection and look at two things (steering heater light does not come on and possible sunroof adjustment. It makes a little more noise than our acura did so unsure if normal)

Lastly, I noticed the front passenger seat airbag light is "off" when no adult is in the seat? It will show with an adult but not with my 40# daughter, when testing. I assume this is normal and at what weight will it turn "on"?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ralph

mleerob
05-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Hello,
Our warranty expires next week and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions before such occurs? This was a recent pre-owned purchase from a high end dealership (non-bmw). Clean carfax, records, one owner trade in.

The car was apparently serviced recently, runs as new with low miles; thus I will not be getting any extended warranties. Having said that, I am going to have our local BMW dealership perform a free 35point inspection and look at two things (steering heater light does not come on and possible sunroof adjustment. It makes a little more noise than our acura did so unsure if normal)

Lastly, I noticed the front passenger seat airbag light is "off" when no adult is in the seat? It will show with an adult but not with my 40# daughter, when testing. I assume this is normal and at what weight will it turn "on"?

Thanks, Ralph

Wondering the same about the lb on the pass seat.
Sometimes my briefcase will be on the seat and the light shows the airbag is off.
Other times, I have to fasten the seatbelt to make the chime stop.
Must be near the cutoff # range.

Ralph III
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Wondering the same about the lb on the pass seat.
Sometimes my briefcase will be on the seat and the light shows the airbag is off.
Other times, I have to fasten the seatbelt to make the chime stop.
Must be near the cutoff # range.

I spoke with the service technician today and she stated it has +- 80 lbs sensor on passenger airbag. Seems a bit high but as she stated. I tested the sensor with my daughter who unable to activate the passenger airbag at 40#. The seatbelt chime has not been an issue with nothing in the seat.

God Bless

JerseyGeorge
05-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I spoke with the service technician today and she stated it has +- 80 lbs sensor on passenger airbag. Seems a bit high but as she stated. I tested the sensor with my daughter who unable to activate the passenger airbag at 40#. The seatbelt chime has not been an issue with nothing in the seat.

God Bless

80lbs is not high! Children that size and smaller don't belong up front while driving!

Ralph III
05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
80lbs is not high! Children that size and smaller don't belong up front while driving!

Thanks JerseyGeorge for the comment but still feel a bit high at 80lbs. I have a sister at 5ft 2in and numerous other relatives who scarcely would have been over 80lbs even when they approached their twenties.

Yes, young children should not ride in the front seat and as we strictly observe. However, the DMV of virtually every state recommends to a certain age and not a weight limit. The average being approxiametly 10 yrs old with some states significantly younger, which I don't agree with.

It would be quite common or probable in having a car full of teenagers with one having to ride in the front seat. I would think it safer if they, or small adults, were protected with the airbag and seat fully back versus no airbag at all.

Take care

GoRavens
05-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Hello,

Thanks, Ralph

Do you mean your 4 year 40K will expire??

Ralph III
05-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Do you mean your 4 year 40K will expire??

Yes, it has reached it's four year mark, though still under the 50k miles, so warranty actually expired yesterday. So I dropped it off at my local BMW dealership for the requested inspections.

The inspection of the car showed everything to be excellent and up to date. They replaced the sunroof seal with a larger one and programmed it to the car. It now is amazingly quite!

They however were unable to fix the heated steering wheel because they stated it is not the proper one. Sure enough, I contacted the last BMW dealership which was servicing the car and they stated the previous owner had the steering wheel replaced, due to cracking/peeling, in 2009. He requested and approved a different one. I have started another thread on the subject.

Other than that the car is like new and a dream drive for my wife.

Take care

GoRavens
05-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Yes, it has reached it's four year mark, though still under the 50k miles, so warranty actually expired yesterday. So I dropped it off at my local BMW dealership for the requested inspections.

The inspection of the car showed everything to be excellent and up to date. They replaced the sunroof seal with a larger one and programmed it to the car. It now is amazingly quite!

They however were unable to fix the heated steering wheel because they stated it is not the proper one. Sure enough, I contacted the last BMW dealership which was servicing the car and they stated the previous owner had the steering wheel replaced, due to cracking/peeling, in 2009. He requested and approved a different one. I have started another thread on the subject.

Take care

Damn... I should have had them replace my sunroof seal while it was still under warranty. It is fairly loud.

mleerob
05-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Take care

Good news with the sunroof.
Wondering if heated wheel could lead to cracking?
Possibly in extreme cold?

mleerob
05-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks JerseyGeorge for the comment but still feel a bit high at 80lbs. I have a sister at 5ft 2in and numerous other relatives who scarcely would have been over 80lbs even when they approached their twenties.

Yes, young children should not ride in the front seat and as we strictly observe. However, the DMV of virtually every state recommends to a certain age and not a weight limit. The average being approxiametly 10 yrs old with some states significantly younger, which I don't agree with.

It would be quite common or probable in having a car full of teenagers with one having to ride in the front seat. I would think it safer if they, or small adults, were protected with the airbag and seat fully back versus no airbag at all.Take care

Good point.

Ralph III
05-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Good news with the sunroof.
Wondering if heated wheel could lead to cracking?
Possibly in extreme cold?

Well I was wondering the same. However, there would rarely be reason to use it in South Florida or Alabama as I live. Irrespective, it could effect our resale and not as advertised, so I would prefer it corrected.