PDA

View Full Version : 15,000 mile check up

aficionado
05-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Getting ready for my 15,000 check up. This will be my only one as it is 3 years old...

Anything I should make sure I get done.

I figure I'll make sure I ask for

The engine air filter.
The cabin air filters.
The windshield wipers.
The oil.

todd92
05-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Getting ready for my 15,000 check up. This will be my only one as it is 3 years old...

Anything I should make sure I get done.

I figure I'll make sure I ask for

The engine air filter.
The cabin air filters.
The windshield wipers.
The oil.

There is no 15,000 mile checkup.

Air filter is not due.

Cabin filter is not due.

Windshield wipers can be replaced any time you ask. You should be on your 6th set by now.

You should have already had 2 oil changes. The schedule is when the service minder expires (aprox 15,000 miles) or 1 year, whichever comes first.

djfitter
05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Brake fluid flush is supposed to be done every 2 years. I am at almost 13000 in 2 1/2 years and have had 2 oil changes, cabin filters, brake fluid. No air filter yet, supposed to be every third oil change.

dj

jesimmons
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Brake fluid flush is supposed to be done every 2 years. I am at almost 13000 in 2 1/2 years and have had 2 oil changes, cabin filters, brake fluid. No air filter yet, supposed to be every third oil change.

dj

:thumbup: Sometimes I think we must be twins... Sort of. Mine has 12000 miles, will be 2 1/2 years old in a couple of months, and has had exactly the same servicing. I haven't had a single problem with the car.

aficionado
05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
There is no 15,000 mile checkup.

Air filter is not due.

Cabin filter is not due.

Windshield wipers can be replaced any time you ask. You should be on your 6th set by now.

You should have already had 2 oil changes. The schedule is when the service minder expires (aprox 15,000 miles) or 1 year, whichever comes first.

This sucks, I thought they look over your vehicle at 15,000 and fix anything that is wrong.

I've had my oil changed twice.

How do you know when the Filters need changing?

This maintenance thing sucks. Why on earth would anyone pay to extend it.

It's big for advertising, but it doesn't cost BMW anything, because they don't do ****.

djfitter
05-04-2010, 01:17 PM
This sucks, I thought they look over your vehicle at 15,000 and fix anything that is wrong.

It's big for advertising, but it doesn't cost BMW anything, because they don't do ****.

They do check things and fix as needed. They did catch a small oil leak on my car (somewhere under the engine cover) at the first oil change. It must be noted that with my car, the first oil change was an annual change (5000+ miles) with no reset on the countdown and no cabin filters changed, The second one at about 9400 miles was a condition based (car emailed my dealer) and the cabin air filters were changed BECAUSE I maintained that they were supposed to be changed with the condition based oil change NOT just at 15000 miles. This is per my Service and Warranty booklet.
Check out what can happen and what can be done on a service visit on my post for my first service visit and my turbo lag request.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389039&highlight=turbo+lag

dj

todd92
05-04-2010, 01:22 PM

The first time the maintenance minder counts down, at approx 15,000 miles, an oil service is due. That's it. The next time, at approx 30,000 miles is Inspection I. You can search for what is done at Inspection I. Oil Service again at 45,000 and then Inspection II at 60,000. Only Inspection II is comprehensive.

Yes, I forgot brake fluid flush is included every two years.

jesimmons
05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
And of course anything that breaks or you feel is not right is covered under warranty, but generally speaking you must bring it to Their attention.

aficionado
05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
They do check things and fix as needed. They did catch a small oil leak on my car (somewhere under the engine cover) at the first oil change. It must be noted that with my car, the first oil change was an annual change (5000+ miles) with no reset on the countdown and no cabin filters changed, The second one at about 9400 miles was a condition based (car emailed my dealer) and the cabin air filters were changed BECAUSE I maintained that they were supposed to be changed with the condition based oil change NOT just at 15000 miles. This is per my Service and Warranty booklet.
Check out what can happen and what can be done on a service visit on my post for my first service visit and my turbo lag request.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389039&highlight=turbo+lag

dj

thanks for the info.

I decided not to ask for the turbo lag fix. Some people on the 3-series forum seem to think they are getting worse programming due to BMW wanting to avoid the HPFP problem.
I figure the lag is not bad and if my car is working, a 'fix' might break it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Anyway, I got my WAY overpriced windshield wipers, oil and filter. My brother did this to his car for under $100. I figure I paid $1000 - $2000+. We all know that maint. is priced into the car.

Thus I'm subsidizing people who drive 50,000 miles in 4 years.

IF BMW really wanted to to this right, they'd do maint. up to 50,000, no matter how many years. Anything short of this is a total and complete rip off, for us low mileage people.