PDA

View Full Version : oil changes

tf789
05-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Just trying to get everything settled while i find the correct 08 550i. Does everyone really wait 15k to change oil? I know synthetic lasts longer but still, seems like an awfully long time. I was thinking 5k miles or so.

Also, does anyone have experience with defeating the in dash dvd player so it can play with the car in drive? It sure would be great for my 14y/o. Thanks

shami
05-03-2010, 04:51 PM
tf789,

Honestly i don't believe oil last for that long, I personally try to get it change after 3k or max 5k. Its just me don't care what BMW says. Other's may disagree with me.

HokieXDriver
05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I plan to change oil twice a year, every 6 months. I've already done so once, at my expense. I was told BMW will pay for the next one, at the 1-year purchase anniversary.

shami
05-03-2010, 06:51 PM
well ever since i started to change oil after 3k, it has made difference as performance wise. Also there are no crazy noise coming out from the engine..!!! Whoever i asked and even the dealer told me try to get it change after 3k or 5k the max. ;)

grateful1
05-03-2010, 06:57 PM
well ever since i started to change oil after 3k, it has made difference as performance wise. Also there are no crazy noise coming out from the engine..!!! Whoever i asked and even the dealer told me try to get it change after 3k or 5k the max. ;)

This makes no sense unless you are running dino. My assumption is that you are running synthetic and if this is true then you should be able to run your car way farther than 3k.

shami
05-03-2010, 07:08 PM
well i do use BMW high performance oil but like i said its just me and get it changed at 3k.

jesimmons
05-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Try running an oil change for 7500 miles. Send a sample of the drain oil to blackstone lab for an analysis. They will let you know if you can extend the interval or shorten it. A top quality approved synthetic should go 7500-10,000 miles. I stick to 7500 or annually, whichever comes first. Changing synthetic at 5000 or less seems like a waste unless you are driving really short distances frequently in cold winter. That's really tough on oil.

grateful1
05-04-2010, 07:41 AM
well i do use BMW high performance oil but like i said its just me and get it changed at 3k.

I know that you stated that you pretty much always change your oil at 3k but the thing with synthetic oils is that they last way beyond 3k. I do agree that waiting to 15k is crazy no matter how good the oil is but you should give it some thought to wait at least until 5k or maybe even 7k. But this is just my opinion so do what you want. It just seems like you can go another 2-3k miles without changing perfectly good oil. But to each it's own.

Try running an oil change for 7500 miles. Send a sample of the drain oil to blackstone lab for an analysis. They will let you know if you can extend the interval or shorten it. A top quality approved synthetic should go 7500-10,000 miles. I stick to 7500 or annually, whichever comes first. Changing synthetic at 5000 or less seems like a waste unless you are driving really short distances frequently in cold winter. That's really tough on oil.

+1

listerone
05-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Does everyone really wait 15k to change oil?
Averaging about 14K miles/yr (mainly Interstate) I'm refusing to go more than 6 months between changes.In fact,I'm considering going to 4 months between changes.But then my understanding is that,everything else being equal,oil changes are even more important for diesels than for "gassers".

mleerob
05-04-2010, 09:24 AM
3k mile changes is no doubt more frequently than necessary,but it's up to you.
I wait until at least 4-5K.

RedDvl33
05-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Seems like some of you guys are quite paranoid. Being an engineer, people make reccommendations for a reason, and that is to maximize efficiency whether it be cost or vehicle life. Obviously if BMW didn't believe in the lifetime of the oil, why in the hell would they put 16000 mile change up on it? I did agree with some of you guys wanting to change it out early, but I am at 12000 miles right now and have not noticed a single change in performance, gas mileage, etc.

Just something else for you all to chew on...

Billd104
05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Every 12 months. I don't put many miles on mine.

tf789
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
seems to me, there are many reasons to change oil. Breakdown in viscosity is one. Condensation if the car sits alot is another. Metal particles is another. If theintent is to keep the car along time, I would prefer overkill in changeing the oil and filter.

shami
05-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Well this time i will wait until 5 to 7k.
I agree with almost everyone. Some people been telling me to get it changed by 3k. Now i will go for 7k the max.

Thanks,
everyone:)

mleerob
05-04-2010, 12:24 PM
If the ENG are saying 16K, safe to say oil will protect longer on average.
Most people including myself prefer to do it more frequently.
Every 3K is extreme to me, but not to some.

Whatever you prefer.

railroader
05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Averaging about 14K miles/yr (mainly Interstate) I'm refusing to go more than 6 months between changes.In fact,I'm considering going to 4 months between changes.But then my understanding is that,everything else being equal,oil changes are even more important for diesels than for "gassers".

Wow- I agree with this sentiment; also being one of the diesel guys here on the Board. It's interesting that even at less than 1000 miles, the oil I could see on my dipstick (yep- 335d's have got one of those old fashioned sticks we grew up with!) was absolutely pitch black in appearance. I know this is highly subjective and not scientific at all- like a chemical analysis from Blackstone Labs would be. Still, I am going to try and go the full year on the first oil.

I've got a 4000 mile trip planned this month-- I'll mull it over after that trip, whether I should do a onetime "customer pay" OC. But with our hi-tech diesels, there must be a lot of particulate matter circulating in the oil, compared to the gasoline engines. I plan on keeping the car for a long time- there is no way I will go the full 15,000 on any oil. 7500 max, or yearly is probably where I'll fall in this discussion. When I was a kid using dino oils, I'd generally change my vehicles at 2,500- but with full synthetic- I feel that is overkill for me.Funny how oil can be emotional and riveting for us car guys- some things never change!:)

jesimmons
05-04-2010, 12:47 PM
If the ENG are saying 16K, safe to say oil will protect longer on average.
Most people including myself prefer to do it more frequently.
Every 3K is extreme to me, but not to some.

Whatever you prefer.

Everyone's driving patterns, environment, temperatures, driving style, etc are different. The key to an engine oil's longevity is the additive pack and how quickly it deteriorates under these variables. An oil analysis will measure the amount of key additives remaining that reduce shearing (viscosity) and the oil's ability to counteract corrosive acids and sludge that naturally form in the oil. Without an analysis, you're just guessing how long the oil can go. Changing the oil at 3K or 5K is certainly a safe bet, but in the end is probably expensive overkill. Changing the oil at 15K or more is risky because the additives could have depleted at 12K and you may be doing more damage than good by going too long. If you do an oil analysis at 15K and the oil shows some additive left, you may be OK to continue with 15K changes. Without an analysis, you're just flying blind. :)

jesimmons
05-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Obviously if BMW didn't believe in the lifetime of the oil, why in the hell would they put 16000 mile change up on it?

It is interesting to note that before BMW went to the FREE 4-year maintenance program, their recommended oil change interval was WAY less than 15K miles... and the oils weren't significantly different then. Something else to chew on. ;)

mleerob
05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Everyone's driving patterns, environment, temperatures, driving style, etc are different. The key to an engine oil's longevity is the additive pack and how quickly it deteriorates under these variables. An oil analysis will measure the amount of key additives remaining that reduce shearing (viscosity) and the oil's ability to counteract corrosive acids and sludge that naturally form in the oil. Without an analysis, you're just guessing how long the oil can go. Changing the oil at 3K or 5K is certainly a safe bet, but in the end is probably expensive overkill. Changing the oil at 15K or more is risky because the additives could have depleted at 12K and you may be doing more damage than good by going too long. If you do an oil analysis at 15K and the oil shows some additive left, you may be OK to continue with 15K changes. Without an analysis, you're just flying blind. :)

I skip the oil analysis and change the oil at 5-7K miles.
I'm OK with that.

jesimmons
05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
I skip the oil analysis and change the oil at 5-7K miles.
I'm OK with that.

I did one at 7000 miles (using BMW High Perf Synthetic 5W30) and the results indicated I could go at least 10K... So I now change at 7500 to be safe. :)

TRS550
05-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Seems like some of you guys are quite paranoid. Being an engineer, people make reccommendations for a reason, and that is to maximize efficiency whether it be cost or vehicle life. Obviously if BMW didn't believe in the lifetime of the oil, why in the hell would they put 16000 mile change up on it? I did agree with some of you guys wanting to change it out early, but I am at 12000 miles right now and have not noticed a single change in performance, gas mileage, etc.

Just something else for you all to chew on...

Your assumption is the engineers are running the asylum. They aren't. Two examples to chew on.

1. E46 M3's with an 8000 rpm redline. That did not come from the engineers. It came from the marketing weanies. Result? Quite a number of blown engines replaced under warranty.

2. As jesimmons pointed out... When 4 year "maintenance" became "free", suddenly the BMW's that could not be maintaned enough (4K oil changes, 30K diff fluid changes, 30K trannie fluid changes), suddenly required no maintenance at all.

This isn't just my opinion. Email Mike Miller at techtalk@roundel.org and see what he has to say about it.

Yeah...the recommendation came in order to maximize something all right. Like profit.

mleerob
05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
BMW is not the only automaker to change the reccomended oil change frequency.

jesimmons
05-04-2010, 01:53 PM
BMW is not the only automaker to change the reccomended oil change frequency.

Extended drain intervals are certainly becoming more common - specially in Europe. Why drain and replace oil that really doesn't need it in this more environmentally friendly world? We know that true synthetic base oils will last (hold viscosity) a LOT longer than Dino oils will, and with a really strong additive package can counteract acids and sludge for a longer period too. Oil engineering is a marvelous thing. I've generally done 7-10K oil changes for years now using Mobil-1 0W40 (European Formula) or Castrol 0W30 (European Formula made in Germany) as these were known to be true synthetic bases. BMW's High Perf Synthetic 5W30 may or may not be a true synthetic base - no one will say (general consensus is its a Castrol Group III oil with a strong additive package since it doesn't carry the 0W lower temp rating) - but it will easily go the 7-10K range. I'd still be reluctant to go anything over 10K miles with it. Just my own bias, I guess. Maybe I've just spen to many hours in the BITOG forums. :dunno:

todd92
05-04-2010, 02:34 PM
The cycle never ends.

Someone posts 'my BMW only needs an oil change every 15,000 miles???, that's seems like a long time, what do you guys think?'.

The replies start coming in 'everyone knows 15,000 miles is too long, I change my oil 2 x (or 3 or 4) more often'...'BMW only did this to save money'...'it's cheap insurance'...'nothing's to good for my baby'

Someone sensible inevitably points out that synthetic oil can easily last that long, that BMW wouldn't risk it's performance reputation to save $100 on free maintenance, that people are stuck in the oil change mentality of the 60's.

Then some pseudo-expert (that reads some posts on BITOG), will chime in with some misinterpreted test results or other gibberish proving or refuting things one way or the other.

I tell you what...please show me one BMW that was caused harm following BMW's OCI recommendations (that used BMW LL-01 approved oil). Do not include pictures of an engine full of gummy snot...this is due to blown headgaskets and coolant mixing with oil, not long OCI's.

mleerob
05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Extended drain intervals are certainly becoming more common - specially in Europe. Why drain and replace oil that really doesn't need it in this more environmentally friendly world? We know that true synthetic base oils will last (hold viscosity) a LOT longer than Dino oils will, and with a really strong additive package can counteract acids and sludge for a longer period too. Oil engineering is a marvelous thing. I've generally done 7-10K oil changes for years now using Mobil-1 0W40 (European Formula) or Castrol 0W30 (European Formula made in Germany) as these were known to be true synthetic bases. BMW's High Perf Synthetic 5W30 may or may not be a true synthetic base - no one will say (general consensus is its a Castrol Group III oil with a strong additive package since it doesn't carry the 0W lower temp rating) - but it will easily go the 7-10K range. I'd still be reluctant to go anything over 10K miles with it. Just my own bias, I guess. Maybe I've just spen to many hours in the BITOG forums. :dunno:

Way too scientific for me.
I just have it changed it about every 7K miles.
Sometimes longer,and never think about it.

JerseyGeorge
05-04-2010, 05:13 PM
The cycle never ends.

Someone posts 'my BMW only needs an oil change every 15,000 miles???, that's seems like a long time, what do you guys think?'.

The replies start coming in 'everyone knows 15,000 miles is too long, I change my oil 2 x (or 3 or 4) more often'...'BMW only did this to save money'...'it's cheap insurance'...'nothing's to good for my baby'

Someone sensible inevitably points out that synthetic oil can easily last that long, that BMW wouldn't risk it's performance reputation to save $100 on free maintenance, that people are stuck in the oil change mentality of the 60's.

Then some pseudo-expert (that reads some posts on BITOG), will chime in with some misinterpreted test results or other gibberish proving or refuting things one way or the other.

I tell you what...please show me one BMW that was caused harm following BMW's OCI recommendations (that used BMW LL-01 approved oil). Do not include pictures of an engine full of gummy snot...this is due to blown headgaskets and coolant mixing with oil, not long OCI's.

+1
Those who change there oil every 3k fall into the quick lube industry BS!

BMW used to recommend 4k for oil 30k for tranny and diffs for one reason.....$$$$$$$$$. The current recommendations are more true to everyday driving and it makes leasing a BMW very attractice! When the lease is over you bring it back to the dealer and now the dealer can sell a great pre-owned car that was maintained!

ptabaco
05-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Oil Service is a Condition Based Service. I will do an extra oil change when the time/miles elapsed equal the time/miles left before service.
That will be at 6 months or less if time based or 7.5k or less if miles based.

split71
05-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Another thing to consider is the sump size. This is just as important as oil type and driving conditions. The sump in my 545 is approx 40% larger than my Tahoe, 40% more oil = longer oil drain intervals.

IMO, large sumps with an ACEA A3 rated Long Life oil has no problems going 15k/16k miles between oil changes. Certainly there are exceptions, racing, heavy towing etc. but for normal driving it's fine.