PDA

View Full Version : cracked rim advice

DTC-OFF
05-03-2010, 06:23 PM
So today i was washing my car and i noticed a 3 inch crack on my front driver side Rim. I contacted BMW of Monrovia (SoCal) and the service adviser there told me that the rims would be under warranty only if it wasn't caused by a pot hole or bump. So i asked him how they would determine this, and he said by spinning the rim on a machine. now, my rim doesnt lose air, but its my understanding that all rims bend over time. So how can i win this tomorrow when i show up to check it? If he claims that a bump caused it, what can i use as evidence to support my claim that most sport rims crack due to the RFT's? any advice would help, and im determined to beat the dealer. THANKS!

Nube1kenobi
05-03-2010, 06:52 PM
That is tough to argue that the crack is due to metal fatigue. They will probably check the concentricity of the rim and see if it has an out of spec run-out.

You never mentioned where the suspected crack is located. How do you know it is a crack and not a scratch? They can also check that by magna-flux dye-penetrant/blacklight or eddy current inspection. Both are Non-destructive inspections (NDI). Good luck.

DTC-OFF
05-03-2010, 07:37 PM
That is tough to argue that the crack is due to metal fatigue. They will probably check the concentricity of the rim and see if it has an out of spec run-out.

You never mentioned where the suspected crack is located. How do you know it is a crack and not a scratch? They can also check that by magna-flux dye-penetrant/blacklight or eddy current inspection. Both are Non-destructive inspections (NDI). Good luck.

well its on the inside of the spoke, between the two spokes. It starts from the inside of the rim, and ends about an inch away from the outer part. ill post a picture as soon as i can.

Nube1kenobi
05-03-2010, 08:54 PM
well its on the inside of the spoke, between the two spokes. It starts from the inside of the rim, and ends about an inch away from the outer part. ill post a picture as soon as i can.

No lip damage? You may have a case... :)

DTC-OFF
05-03-2010, 09:07 PM
No lip damage? You may have a case... :)

Yeah there's no lip damage, but why would that help my case? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I just want to arm myself with as much info as possible so that I can defend myself tomorrow D:

Nube1kenobi
05-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah there's no lip damage, but why would that help my case? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I just want to arm myself with as much info as possible so that I can defend myself tomorrow D:

The tire bead rests on the lip. For the rim to get the damage you described from a pothole it goes to reason that the lip will get damaged before the inner rim curve. They will probably dismount the tire and inspect for delamination/ply separations inside and the tell tale sign of impact induced damage... my .02.

Show us the pic.

DTC-OFF
05-03-2010, 11:18 PM
The tire bead rests on the lip. For the rim to get the damage you described from a pothole it goes to reason that the lip will get damaged before the inner rim curve. They will probably dismount the tire and inspect for delamination/ply separations inside and the tell tale sign of impact induced damage... my .02.

Show us the pic.
you can see the small crack right next to the spoke, and it stops about an inch away from the lip. what do you think? also, you can see the other crack (or scratch?) right in the middle, but a bit smaller.

http://i44.tinypic.com/s4ufzp.jpg

Nube1kenobi
05-04-2010, 08:23 AM
If those turn out to be cracks, I think they owe you a rim. The long one appears not to be connected but it is hard to tell. They cannot claim that you hit a pothole with that IMHO., otherwise, there will be other signs of external damage. Let us know what they tell you.

mleerob
05-04-2010, 12:45 PM
So today i was washing my car and i noticed a 3 inch crack on my front driver side Rim. I contacted BMW of Monrovia (SoCal) and the service adviser there told me that the rims would be under warranty only if it wasn't caused by a pot hole or bump. So i asked him how they would determine this, and he said by spinning the rim on a machine. now, my rim doesnt lose air, but its my understanding that all rims bend over time. So how can i win this tomorrow when i show up to check it? If he claims that a bump caused it, what can i use as evidence to support my claim that most sport rims crack due to the RFT's? any advice would help, and im determined to beat the dealer. THANKS!

What evidence could you possibly come up with to show the SA that most sport rims crack due to run flats?
Hitting something hard enough can crack or bend any wheel.

Good luck with that.

Nube1kenobi
05-04-2010, 01:30 PM
What evidence could you possibly come up with to show the SA that most sport rims crack due to run flats?
Hitting something hard enough can crack or bend any wheel.

Good luck with that.

I don't believe he has to prove anything. IMHO it is otherwise. BMW need to prove that he abused the wheel beyond what it designed for. If the wheel developed stress cracks due to metal fatigue under normal use, it is defective and need to be replaced under his 4/50 warranty.

mleerob
05-04-2010, 01:35 PM
No worries, If it's defective it will be.

jeffbtx
05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I don't believe he has to prove anything. IMHO it is otherwise. BMW need to prove that he abused the wheel beyond what it designed for. If the wheel developed stress cracks due to metal fatigue under normal use, it is defective and need to be replaced under his 4/50 warranty.

Forget "proof" - normal first reaction by dealer is to deny warranty. BMW is not going to prove anything, they will just deny and leave it to the owner to take the next steps, whatever those steps might be. So much depends on the dealer too - some are much more agreeable to warranty work...but telling the dealer he has to prove something is a non starter.

mleerob
05-04-2010, 02:47 PM

BMw is not going to prove anything to him about his wheel.
Nor can he prove run flats cause cracks in wheels.

Get serious.

Nube1kenobi
05-04-2010, 05:38 PM
you can see the small crack right next to the spoke, and it stops about an inch away from the lip. what do you think? also, you can see the other crack (or scratch?) right in the middle, but a bit smaller.

If they deny your claim... report like everyone else.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

For further reading: http://forums.automotive.com/70/7771664/tires-wheels/why-isnt-bmw-owning-up-to-the-18-inch-wheel-cracki/index.html

Nube1kenobi
05-04-2010, 05:41 PM

Get serious.

So now you are the expert on this? :dunno:

JerseyGeorge
05-05-2010, 01:22 AM
It's a defect and not caused by collision! BMWCCA....I suggest you all join and take advantage of their ombudsman who will intervene on your behalf!

OKC
05-05-2010, 02:29 AM
+1 on BMWCCA and also recommend you get rid of the RFT as soon as possible before you actually do have a crack caused by a pothole.

mleerob
05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Forget "proof" - normal first reaction by dealer is to deny warranty. BMW is not going to prove anything, they will just deny and leave it to the owner to take the next steps, whatever those steps might be. So much depends on the dealer too - some are much more agreeable to warranty work...but telling the dealer he has to prove something is a non starter.

I'm no more an expert than anyone else on this thread.
I do however agree with this comment.

vern
05-05-2010, 11:49 AM
+1 on BMWCCA and also recommend you get rid of the RFT as soon as possible before you actually do have a crack caused by a pothole.
Where are you guys getting the information that RFT cause rims to crack ?
cheers
vern

mleerob
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Where are you guys getting the information that RFT cause rims to crack ?
cheers
vern

Great question.
However, I did take the run flats off last week.
Just too loud for me.

Nube1kenobi
05-05-2010, 01:32 PM
No worries, If it's defective it will be.

Get serious.

I'm no more an expert than anyone else on this thread.
I do however agree with this comment.

I see.

mleerob
05-05-2010, 02:18 PM

How did it turn out?
Did the dealership replace it?

One option is it's only cosmetic, is a curbrash product that can cover it up and look good IMO.
Let me know if you need the link.

DTC-OFF
05-05-2010, 03:42 PM
well just got back from the dealer and hes claiming its only a scratch... i dont understand how a scratch can chip a piece off the rim, but i had him put it in writing so if the rims cracks further i have proof :(

mleerob
05-05-2010, 04:12 PM
well just got back from the dealer and hes claiming its only a scratch... i dont understand how a scratch can chip a piece off the rim, but i had him put it in writing so if the rims cracks further i have proof :(

That repair kit may patch it up,and never notice it again.
It repairs some bad curb rash,and this scratch is not as bad as these are.
So the dealership satisfied you?

Nube1kenobi
05-05-2010, 11:37 PM

Glad to hear that. :) FWIW I found that I had some of the same scratches on some parts of my wheels a few weeks back. I took a few minutes, more like over an hour really, to scrub clean my wheels and took a magnifying glass for a quick inspection on the suspected hairline cracks... turned out they were scratches under magnification. I did do dye penetrant inspection on a couple unfinished suspect areas... they too were okay under black light. These wheels do bend and most of the time they go out of round... but you seldom hear them crack from the inside-outward. That would indicate major fatigue and intragranular corrosion on the stress point.

Neubs1
05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Cracked Rim too!!! I'm at 52k miles and 2 years of service. I have a cracked rim occurring this week also - I do not have the rims shown in the photo of the originator. I have the newer 5-spoke OEM 17" wheels. I lost 15 PSI twice in a row overnight and while in for routine oil change this week, the SA told me that I had a cracked rim. I have not seen the crack. I purchased a tire and wheel policy when I bought the car that lasts 5 years and the rim is covered - will be replaced at no cost to me. The tire is not damaged, says the SA. I do not remember hitting any pot holes, just an overnight trip that was 375 miles at 80+ mph. Rim is special order - they gave me a loaner on the all-day service appointment; told me to keep it until my rim is fixed.
OBTW, I have had one other OEM Goodyear RSA replaced after 38K under ths policy. Policy was $900 on purchase. Paid for itself?
Neubs