PDA

View Full Version : Why am I so afraid?

sgnden
05-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Sheesh...I swear. I have owned 3 e28's and a great little 2002 once upon a time...they were all wonderful.

Now, here I am (15 cars later, I must admit - yeah I am sick), finding myself pouring over facts and posts about an e60 550i...2007 is what I am thinking.

My last daily driver was an Audi A6 4.2, I love the German V8's. But even though the Bangle butt is real bummer...but passable...I keep getting drawn back to the BMW.

Don't flame me too badly - But if you had asked me last week, I would have told you I had decided to go Japanese (Lexus GS460) but it is primarily due to my nagging worries about big-ticket issues with the 550i...namely the Ticking Engine stuff (HVA issue sounds brutal).

I want to drive whatever I get well into the 6 figures miles-wise...

But I can't really tell just how serious the BIG ticket problems are...or how common...on the 550. Audi/BMW - sure more costly to operate, which is fine...but the Lexus is just, in the end, boring to me I fear.

Mainly the Hydraulic Valve Adjusters thing...is that a really prevalent issue on these engines?

Talk me down?

JerseyGeorge
05-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Sounds like you're totally not comfortable purchasing the Beemer so if I was you I would get the Lexus and sleep peaceful at night! Lexus is a great automobile:thumbup:

Adumbration
05-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Take a look at consumer reports. With respect to reliability the 2007 550i is rated "Very Good" over all. The Lexus GS is rated "Good".

BMW NA engines are very well built and good for 200k+ if properly maintained.

The 2007 550i is a wonderful car. Good luck with your decision!

mfumbesi
05-04-2010, 05:59 AM
I can vouch for BMW NA Engines, but the systems around the car leave much to be desired. On my E46 the cooling system was the cars Achilles heel, and coincidentally my E60 also has the same issues (on top of the battery drainage issues).

MSAMMY
05-04-2010, 06:17 AM
I'd say go for the 550i, you won't be sorry. Our 2007 550i has just about 30K miles, no major problems ever, no engine ticking and it's a blast to drive! You won't be happy with the Toyota after a few weeks, you'll be kicking yourself - Doh, I coulda had a V8!

sgnden
05-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Sounds like you're totally not comfortable purchasing the Beemer so if I was you I would get the Lexus and sleep peaceful at night! Lexus is a great automobile:thumbup:

I know what you mean re sleep at night and sure, that GS V8 is a great car in a lot of ways, but like I said...what I may even be more "afraid" of is that I'll be bored with it...and I keep finding myself drawn back to the 550.

Just trying to hear from anyone if they know of the Hyd Valve Adjusters failing issues (or others) and/or if it is really that common.

It's always tough on forums where anything that is a problem tends to be amplified in a big way.

HPIA4v2
05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Sheesh...I swear. I have owned 3 e28's and a great little 2002 once upon a time...they were all wonderful.

Now, here I am (15 cars later, I must admit - yeah I am sick), finding myself pouring over facts and posts about an e60 550i...2007 is what I am thinking.

My last daily driver was an Audi A6 4.2, I love the German V8's. But even though the Bangle butt is real bummer...but passable...I keep getting drawn back to the BMW.

Don't flame me too badly - But if you had asked me last week, I would have told you I had decided to go Japanese (Lexus GS460) but it is primarily due to my nagging worries about big-ticket issues with the 550i...namely the Ticking Engine stuff (HVA issue sounds brutal).

But I can't really tell just how serious the BIG ticket problems are...or how common...on the 550. Audi/BMW - sure more costly to operate, which is fine...but the Lexus is just, in the end, boring to me I fear.

Mainly the Hydraulic Valve Adjusters thing...is that a really prevalent issue on these engines?

Talk me down?

I am not sure anyone can help you decide since like anything else in life you are looking at spectrum of grays and ask which one you like best (the dark shade or less dark).

If you value driving pleasure above anything else then a little maitenance is expected else you ought to choose a ligther shade. No one can tell you which shade is the correct one.

Cause I say it many2 times if Lexus drives like BMW, anyone driving BMW is just fan-boy of that roundel emblem on the hood (nothing else).

sgnden
05-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Of course in the end, passion for what I drive is the biggest part of my decision.

Just trying to have some fun in the post rather than just asking another generic "what to look for question".

IS the HVA issue really that common?? ("ticking engine" - obviously caused by the valve slop as the adjusters fail/degrade)

PimoX3
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
IS the HVA issue really that common?? ("ticking engine" - obviously caused by the valve slop as the adjusters fail/degrade)

I have not heard of the "HVA Issue" being common for 550's. If it was, there would be lots of active posts about it, and there just haven't been (both here and on the other big 5-series site). If anything, I have seen this issue raised more for 525's and 530's.

While I am only a year into my 550 experience after driving an X3 and an E39, I have absolutely no regrets in choosing the V8. If you search the boards for a while, you'll likely see the most prevalent (but by no means common) issues are complaints about rough idle speed on startup, auto trans "slam" and a little more wind noise from the sunroof when closed than we would expect. The first two issues generally have fixes, and the third... well, if that's the biggest issue one has with their car, then they're pretty lucky.

If I had one suggestion for you, it would be to look at 2008's if at all possible. The 2008 MY had the "facelift" and update of a number of components.

ROCKYTOP2
05-04-2010, 09:34 AM
My car is awesome!!!!

mleerob
05-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Talk me down?

That is shy I passed up the Lexus.
Compared to a BMW Sport, it's real boring.

I plan to keep the BMW covered under warranty,and sell it well before 100K miles.
I jsst don't keep daily drivers any longer than that.

mleerob
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
But if I were you I would not be that paranoid about the BMW.
You car scare yourself out of a deal.

ikedoc
05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
My car is awesome!!!!

Roger That Rockytop2

TRS550
05-04-2010, 01:26 PM
07 550 here as well. 40K miles on a 6 speed manual with sport pkg.

Awesome car.

njlou
05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
the 550i is a great car. I have a 528xi and I can only imagine a V8.
My advise is quit reading these forums and enjoy. Consider that the worst cost may be about $2k - just put that in the bank and see how far you can go. you will be amazed and have a lot of fun besides.
BTW a car is already the WORST investment.

mleerob
05-04-2010, 01:40 PM
If all I cared about were the possible problems, I would drive a Honda.

Jerry J
05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
BMW - there isn't any substitute! After all, isn't Lexus just a fancy Toyota?

hairball
05-04-2010, 04:47 PM
At 55,000 miles, no major issues with my 2007 550.

mhs525
05-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Talk me down?

If you are right at the edge of your budget a used non warranty German car is not a good idea. But if you have anything close to reasonable resources you should be fine.

My 545i has ticked from day one, two and a half years back. It runs great and is incredibly powerful. I came from an 06 M3 to the 545i and although I loved my M3 a V8 BMW is a very special car and a screaming deal as a used car buy.

I have read about a few, very few, owners that have had engine work covered by BMW to address the ticking. I'm not sure some of these cases where not just to placate complaining owners and/or keep the service bays busy. Just change the oil every 7,500 miles and use the good stuff. I use Red Line.

As I said my car has ticked for two years, from 27k when I bought it to 57k now and I just ran it at New England Dragway, red lined the motor for each shift, ran a 14.4 at 99.97 MPH and the car didn't break a sweat.

If you have never had a V8 BMW and can afford it now, do it. The future is all turbos, the naturally aspirated V8's are something special.

AntDX316
05-06-2010, 05:32 AM
If you are right at the edge of your budget a used non warranty German car is not a good idea. But if you have anything close to reasonable resources you should be fine.

My 545i has ticked from day one, two and a half years back. It runs great and is incredibly powerful. I came from an 06 M3 to the 545i and although I loved my M3 a V8 BMW is a very special car and a screaming deal as a used car buy.

I have read about a few, very few, owners that have had engine work covered by BMW to address the ticking. I'm not sure some of these cases where not just to placate complaining owners and/or keep the service bays busy. Just change the oil every 7,500 miles and use the good stuff. I use Red Line.

As I said my car has ticked for two years, from 27k when I bought it to 57k now and I just ran it at New England Dragway, red lined the motor for each shift, ran a 14.4 at 99.97 MPH and the car didn't break a sweat.

If you have never had a V8 BMW and can afford it now, do it. The future is all turbos, the naturally aspirated V8's are something special.

Yeah pretty much, when people drive the car they fall in love with it quick. I did when I first test drove it. You get S550 acceleration and braking. When you first drive a car like that you tend to brake too hard and accelerate too fast. After a while you get used to it and it gets smooth. Try braking with your left foot and see how it was when you first drove it. : )

RedDvl33
05-06-2010, 08:54 AM
I have not heard of the "HVA Issue" being common for 550's. If it was, there would be lots of active posts about it, and there just haven't been (both here and on the other big 5-series site). If anything, I have seen this issue raised more for 525's and 530's.

I agree. I just got the Valve Head Lifters replaced on my 07 530i under warranty with no problems. From what I've heard, the "HVA Issue" really isn't an issue, more of an annoyance. Personally, I didn't like my car ticking everywhere I went. Maybe you know more than I do, but I don't think that a failure with the HVA has ever happened; and if it has, then it's very VERY unlikely.

btw...always go with the Bimmer!:thumbup: