PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an 05' 545 (idrive problem)

bmwag
05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
and twice in the last week I started the car and the Nav/radio screen did not load. The radio would not play and the idrive control did not work. It had the main screen but the time/date did not load either.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice on what might be causing it?

skylolow
05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Easiest fix would be to have the dealer reinstall the software. Hopefully that will fix the problem (usually does).

Stock545i
05-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Are you sure you do not have a weak battery? I've heard these cars are "too smart". So if you have a weak battery the intelligent battery sensor may not give enough juice to various non-essential electronics to enable you to still be able to drive the car. I have heard many times of the gremlins involving the idrive, when the battery is weak too.
Suggest - you test the battery first - if it looks good, may want to embark down a path of trying to get the dealer to run a test. I've also heard the most bus hang up on these cars.

Its an 05 and if you have the extended warranty you are good, else you may have to take cautionary steps with the dealer and be prepared to pay for a couple of hours in labor for troubleshooting.

Good luck.

Stock545i
05-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Oh yeah, have you tried to reboot the idrive? if a ccc drive, press the 2 eject buttons and then push the volume knob.

Patrick
05-05-2010, 06:58 AM
I had a similar problem about 1.5 years ago with my 2005 E61. New software was installed overnight at the service department, and the problem was solved.

Stock545i
05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I had a similar problem about 1.5 years ago with my 2005 E61. New software was installed overnight at the service department, and the problem was solved.

You were luckier than I. In my case it ended up being a faulty CCC unit.