PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Access Keyfob - How Do I tell?

BLUE550
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
I received 2 keys when I got my car.

It seemed like the battery was running low, so I replaced the batteries for both.

Thing is CA seems to work fine for one, but the second one doesn't look like CA-enabled. I can't open the door or turn on the engine. I have to plug the key in to turn on the engine.

Both keys look exactly the same.

Should I ask for the CA enabled key?

cccplus
05-05-2010, 01:35 AM
yes, i have a spare and it works just like the other. only the dealer can program it.

jeffbtx
05-05-2010, 05:54 AM
I received 2 keys when I got my car.

It seemed like the battery was running low, so I replaced the batteries for both.

Thing is CA seems to work fine for one, but the second one doesn't look like CA-enabled. I can't open the door or turn on the engine. I have to plug the key in to turn on the engine.

Both keys look exactly the same.

Should I ask for the CA enabled key?
If you can replace the batteries you have CA keyfobs - it sounds like the second one isn't programmed - as suggested, dealer has to do that for you.

545iSMG
05-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Just to be sure, you may want to try swapping the batteries between the two to make sure that one battery isn't bad. If you still have trouble with the one key, as stated above, you might need the dealer to reprogram things if the fob itself isn't bad.

Also, it's not clear to me if you have a problem relating only to CA or to the entire key. Can you lock/unlock the car by using the buttons on both fobs or just one fob?

BLUE550
05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys - I will ask dealer to program it again. Since they have new batteries, I don't think it's the battery problem. The other one just works as non-CA key.

One more question - how's the CA range for you guys? In my previous Infiniti with the same functionality as CA, I could put the key in anywhere - in my bag or pocket - and it still worked very well.

For this BMW CA, many times when I have something else around it (just simple money clip) or if it's in my bag, the car doesn't seem to detect the key very well. So I have to take the key out and touch the door in order to open it. At first, I thought it was due to dying battery, but even after the replacement, it is still the same.

545iSMG
05-05-2010, 11:04 AM
You might want to look at the following to learn more about the CA range, antenna locations and diversity antenna amplifier:
http://forums.5series.net/topic/88619-remote-key-fob-working-distance/page__view__findpost__p__1059684