PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Steering Wheel? '07 530xi

Ralph III
05-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Hello,
We recently purchased an '07 530xi which was advertised as like new "showroom condition" and was indeed as such. It was purchased from a high end, non-BMW dealership, which specifically listed as having "heated steering wheel".

As the warranty was running out I took it in to our local BMW dealership to have an inspection and to look at two things. 1) Slight excessive noise from sunroof, 2) heated steering wheel light was not coming on nor did steering wheel seem to get warm.

The inspection showed everything excellent and they adjusted the sunroof, so wisper quite now. They however were unable to fix the heated steering wheel because they stated it is an "incorrect" one.

Sure enough, I contacted the last BMW dealership which was servicing the car and they stated the previous owner had the steering wheel replaced in 2009, due to peeling. He requested and approved a different one to be put in, apparently a non heated type.

Anyhow, I am waiting to hear from the dealership we purchased it from as will cost $715.46 to replace with proper steering wheel.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

God Bless

HokieXDriver
05-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Looks like the previous owner requested an M wheel be put in. That doesn't have heat as far as I know. Apparently it was better to look good than to feel good!

porshah
05-05-2010, 09:24 AM
^^^ As stated either PO requested(paid for) M steering wheel or replaced it later on. I like that steering wheel also, but much rather have heated steering wheel for the winters. If you get the proper steering wheel, I am sure you can recoup some of the cost by selling the current steering wheel.

mleerob
05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I have the heated wheel,but after using it a few times I stopped. Just don't use it.
I do use the heated seats.
Depends on how cold it is in your area. It's not a feature I use

ikedoc
05-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I have a heated M steering wheel on the 550, it doesn't get nearly as warm as the one did on the 2008 535.

mleerob
05-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Hello,
We recently purchased an '07 530xi which was advertised as like new "showroom condition" and was indeed as such. It was purchased from a high end, non-BMW dealership, which specifically listed as having "heated steering wheel".

As the warranty was running out I took it in to our local BMW dealership to have an inspection and to look at two things. 1) Slight excessive noise from sunroof, 2) heated steering wheel light was not coming on nor did steering wheel seem to get warm.

The inspection showed everything excellent and they adjusted the sunroof, so wisper quite now. They however were unable to fix the heated steering wheel because they stated it is an "incorrect" one.

Sure enough, I contacted the last BMW dealership which was servicing the car and they stated the previous owner had the steering wheel replaced in 2009, due to peeling. He requested and approved a different one to be put in, apparently a non heated type.

Anyhow, I am waiting to hear from the dealership we purchased it from as will cost $715.46 to replace with proper steering wheel.

God Bless

Glad you posted this.
My sunroof sounds very, very,loud. Aparantly it needs adjusting.
Didn't know this was repairable until now. :thumbup:

PimoX3
05-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Hello,

As others have stated, the m-sport wheel was not offered with a heating function until 2009 models. Now, that being said you should be able to retrofit a heated 2009+ m-sport wheel to your car as I just did to my 2008 (although check carefully as the wheel fittings did change at some point). The good news for you, not so much for me, is that if the car originally had the heated wheel then you have the correct steering column switch cluster (SZL) and coil spring cartridge to support a heated wheel -- whereas I needed to replace these to get the heating function (I also added paddle-shifters at the same time) and these parts are expensive.

Also - check around for better pricing on the wheel -- Tischer BMW has an online store that lists the heated wheel for under $475. There will be labour costs to install the new wheel but probably not more than an hour or so (they will re-use the switches and trim from the existing wheel).

Where I live the winters are nasty cold (like -30+ cold), so the heated wheel is a blessing. The m-sport wheel heat is decent, but not as warm as my X3 or previous E39 528.

Ralph III
05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replies!

In regards to the sunroof; Before making our purchase, I had researched where some people were having noise issues with the sunroof. One had stated they had theirs adjusted. It was not as quite as our Acura TL was so I asked them just to check if needed adjusting. They took the initiative to replace the seal with a larger one which then required an 8 hr computer download for such. I am telling you, I cannot beleive how quite it is now. You can hardly tell the difference when sunroof sun visor opened or closed!

In regards to the heated steering wheel; I am going to press the dealership we purchased the car from to foot the bill. I spent days verifying this car was as new with everything working propertly before committing to buy, as I drove 750 miles to get the car. They stated it was "show room" with everything working properly which included "heated steering wheel".

We may seldom use it but could effect our resale value! Please confirm I will be getting the same sport package wheel, but possibly without the "m" emblem? That is why I wanted to post the picture.

God Bless

AntDX316
05-06-2010, 05:25 AM
The heated steering wheel feature on the 545i is way too hot. I can burn my hand holding it too long so I leave it off.

PimoX3
05-06-2010, 07:55 AM
We may seldom use it but could effect our resale value! Please confirm I will be getting the same sport package wheel, but possibly without the "m" emblem? That is why I wanted to post the picture.

Although I do not believe a heated sport or m-sport wheel was available when your car was built, you have the components/modules in the vehicle to support the function. I did a quick check on realoem.com and it appears that the mounting plate for the steering wheel is unchanged from 2007 to 2008 -- so I'm not sure why they couldn't just install the heated m-sport wheel (p/n 32342283941) as it's basically the same cost as the regular and sport wheels...

If they install the m-sport wheel, you will keep the "m" emblem. If they have to change back to a non-sport wheel (original equipment with heating) it would cost them much more as the airbag would also have to be replaced.

Hope it all works out!

Ralph III
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Although I do not believe a heated sport or m-sport wheel was available when your car was built, you have the components/modules in the vehicle to support the function. I did a quick check on realoem.com and it appears that the mounting plate for the steering wheel is unchanged from 2007 to 2008 -- so I'm not sure why they couldn't just install the heated m-sport wheel (p/n 32342283941) as it's basically the same cost as the regular and sport wheels...

If they install the m-sport wheel, you will keep the "m" emblem. If they have to change back to a non-sport wheel (original equipment with heating) it would cost them much more as the airbag would also have to be replaced.

Hope it all works out!

Hello,
Thanks for the advice. I will contact our local BMW to see exactly which steering wheel replacement they quoted as my wife really likes the style on it. I assumed that is what they would replace it with minus the "m" emblem and heated, of course. Can you confirm the wheel in our car is the sport package version with raised round horn area -versus- standard version which is a flat diamond shape?

Ralph

jeffbtx
05-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Hello,

God BlessHope you get it all resolved to your satisfaction. Not sure about the availability of the m-sport wheel option on non m's but my 08 M5 does have the heated steering wheel...not much use in Texas and I would imagine you won't get much use in Alabama either.

PimoX3
05-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Can you confirm the wheel in our car is the sport package version with raised round horn area -versus- standard version which is a flat diamond shape?
The picture you attached in the first post is a "m-sport" steering wheel which, although similar to the "sport" wheel, it has the raised thumb bumps at 10/2 o'clock on the wheel and (if I recall correctly) a different multi function switch unit on either the left or right (the other is identical for sport and m-sport wheels). Both sport and m-sport wheels use the same airbag module - which is different than the triangular unit used on the non-sport wheels. See this link for reference: Realoem.com (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=NF73&mospid=48505&hg=32&fg=35) -- Note: the link is to the 2006/2007 E60 steering wheels, but you can see the heated m-sport one by selecting a later model year.

Again, although it does not appear that the heated sport or m-sport wheel was available in 2007, the steering wheel mounting plate is the same and I'm pretty sure the airbag module is the same (change occured back in '05) - so they should be looking to replace your current m-sport wheel with the heated one available for later years.

mleerob
05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
.not much use in Texas and I would imagine you won't get much use in Alabama either.

Same in Tennessee.
My car has it, but by the time it heats up the seats are hot,and the air is warm.
JMO