PDA

View Full Version : Loud sunroof can be fixed?

mleerob
05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
My sunroof is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Read somewhere it can be adjusted,and be quiet?

Now that I have replaced the RFT;s, all is great with this car
except the sunroof noise.

It's a racecar.

DJS425
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
actually i'm taking my 550i into the BMW dealership today for some maintenance and other issues like the sunroof noise...i'll let you know if i hear anything. Mine is pretty loud if I don't close the solid cover and if I open the window at either position on the sun roof it makes a rattling noise when my music is high

mleerob
05-05-2010, 02:16 PM
actually i'm taking my 550i into the BMW dealership today for some maintenance and other issues like the sunroof noise...i'll let you know if i hear anything. Mine is pretty loud if I don't close the solid cover and if I open the window at either position on the sun roof it makes a rattling noise when my music is high

hope to hear how that comes out.
If it can be adjusted, it would be nice.
My perviious car had a quiet sunroof when operated.

Ralph III
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM

It's a racecar.

Just let them know it is making excessive noise and ask them to adjust or replace the seal. I had mine done two days ago at no charge (warranty). Note; they will have to reprogram the car computer which can take up to 9hrs.

Good luck

grateful1
05-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Just let them know it is making excessive noise and ask them to adjust or replace the seal. I had mine done two days ago at no charge (warranty). Note; they will have to reprogram the car computer which can take up to 9hrs.

Good luck

Do you by chance know why replacing the sunroof seal would necessitate programming the car? I guess I'm wondering what would need to be reprogrammed when all they are doing is replacing the plastic seal? If they replaced the seal for your door I wouldn't imagine them needing to reprogram anything but I guess that's why I'm asking the question.

grant6398
05-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I experienced was wind noise, and a rattling sound when the roof was in the vent position. I found that the rattling sound was from the wind deflector coming in contact with the glass roof. (I placed my finger between the wind deflector and the roof and the rattling ceased). I mentioned this at the dealer and they changed the wind deflector and seal with no questions asked. All was covered under warranty. Now all is nice and quiet. Good luck. I know how irritating that wind noise is in such a nice car.

Ralph III
05-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Do you by chance know why replacing the sunroof seal would necessitate programming the car? I guess I'm wondering what would need to be reprogrammed when all they are doing is replacing the plastic seal? If they replaced the seal for your door I wouldn't imagine them needing to reprogram anything but I guess that's why I'm asking the question.

The cars computer has to be programed so it seats properly with the new seal. I don't know if that would be necessary if they were just going to make an adjustment but would assume so. These are just sophisticated and precise cars! As the sunroof is an automated type feature -versus- manually shutting a car door; there would be a difference there.

My car showed 9 hrs programming when the technician began Tuesday morning, as he stated, but it finished several hours before that.

If your car is still under warranty you should have no problem having them address it for you. In fact, my local dealership had me rush my car in Monday (just before closing) so they could enter the work order into the system. I thought my warranty ended this weekend but in making service arrangements, they correctly pointed out Monday was indeed the deadline. They took care of my vehicle Tuesday at no charge and as easy as pie.

My experience with them could not have been any better.:thumbup:

RedDvl33
05-06-2010, 08:58 AM

It's a racecar.

As long as you are under warranty that seal should be replaced no problem. I experienced the same thing; quiet when the shade was closed, loud when open. Now it is much much better. Good Luck!

3Series
05-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I just had the seal replaced last week. I had excessive wind noise when the shade was open. They first reprogammed the computer to reset the glass bu that didn't work so they replaced the seal. The wind noise is gone, but now a rattling sound occurs when going over bumps. Its a pain to go back to the dealer but I will.

Billd104
05-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm going in for seal replacement in a few weeks on mine. Will post follow up

mleerob
05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I just had the seal replaced last week. I had excessive wind noise when the shade was open. They first reprogammed the computer to reset the glass bu that didn't work so they replaced the seal. The wind noise is gone, but now a rattling sound occurs when going over bumps. Its a pain to go back to the dealer but I will.

Then I have both issues also.
1. It's very noisy when operating.
2. The road noise is loud when shade is open. I can only caopare to my CTS, which sounded the same with the shade open or closed.
Didn't know this was not normal in a BMW.

MPE
05-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I just had the dealer replace my sunroof seal under warranty....no more noise :)

vern
05-07-2010, 09:59 AM
My experience with them could not have been any better.:thumbup:
If your dealer is as good as you say they are,why don't you mention them by name?
cheers
vern

grateful1
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
I just had the dealer replace my sunroof seal under warranty....no more noise :)

+1

I just got back from the dealer and the wind noise is completely gone. When I initially bought the car I had mentioned to my sales adviser that I thought the noise coming from the sunroof was really load. He stated that the sunroof door was designed to eliminate the noise. As much as I didn't want to believe his BS I didn't say anything. I was glad to see this post as it confirmed my own belief that this was not normal. I spoke to the service adviser at the dealership that fixed this issue and he indicated that this is very common problem and he gets complaints about it all the time. In any case, no more wind noise now.

Ralph III
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
If your dealer is as good as you say they are,why don't you mention them by name?
cheers
vern

BMW of Mobile, that is Mobile, Alabama.

Gahngoo
05-08-2010, 12:56 AM

It's a racecar.

I had the same problem. FIRST: hold the sunroof button in for several seconds and it will reset the travel limits. Hold the button in until the sunroof opens, resets and closes. SECOND: If that does not work, replace the seal. I had mine done last week under warranty. I'm guessing the 9 hours thing is just a way for the dealership to get some extra cash on the repair.:dunno:

mjsmn
05-08-2010, 07:32 AM
had the seal replaced on mine too. like others, it involved reprogramming the car and several hrs of work

jboucher
05-08-2010, 10:24 AM

4 year factory warranty or CPO warranty?

I think I need a need sunroof seal and was considering just doing it myself.

MPE
05-11-2010, 08:55 AM
For those inquiring minds.....Myrtle Beach Automotive completed the work under warranty. Awesome service!

MPE
05-11-2010, 08:59 AM
PS.....4 year factory warranty. My 2008 550i has 35k.

GoRavens
05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Damn, I should have had them fix the seal. My car now has 51K miles and the sunroof is loud when closed and the cover is open. A couple questions..

How much is a seal replacement from the dealer?
Is this a DIY job?

mleerob
05-11-2010, 02:12 PM
One of the first things I noticed about my car is how loud it is with the cover open,and much les noise when it's closed.
Previous cars, left the cover open all the time.

Glad to read about this,because the noise issue is subjective. Unless the SA has a way to dive at highway speeds
and test the decibles.

I just thought the lound sound was normal.
I'm still well under 50K, and will take it to the dealer.

skylolow
05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Anyone know what they would approx. charge to replace the seal out of warranty???

mleerob
05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I plan to take my car to the dealer and describe the loud sound with the cover open.
Hope he doesn't say it's normal.

Could be the humidity or something,because now when I operate it, it's not loud.

But at highway speeds, I have to close the cover. It's loud.

mleerob
05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Damn, I should have had them fix the seal. My car now has 51K miles and the sunroof is loud when closed and the cover is open. A couple questions..

Is this a DIY job?

Appears replacing the seal couldr require re-programing.
Could be a dealership job.

You could always tell the SA,that it was loud when it was covered,but you never
asked to have it repaired. Maybe they could do the job as if it was under warranty.

GoRavens
05-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Appears replacing the seal couldr require re-programing.
Could be a dealership job.

You could always tell the SA,that it was loud when it was covered,but you never
asked to have it repaired. Maybe they could do the job as if it was under warranty.

I have already tried that with something else.... their response, "too bad, the warranty expires at 50K miles, what do you expect of a car with over 50K miles". It is an exact quote by the way. The car had 50,080 on it.

grateful1
05-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Anyone know what they would approx. charge to replace the seal out of warranty???

The cost on my invoice which was paid under warranty is as follows:

BMW part 54 10 7 245 551 $29.97
Labor $82.95
Total $112.92

I would imagine that this is the cost regardless if you are paying out of pocket or if it covered under warranty. I could be wrong as labor rates may be different for warranty vs. non-warranty items but my assumption is that they are the same. Again, just a guess.

Is this a DIY job?
I think that it is a DIY job except for the fact that you need to reprogram the car.

GoRavens
05-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Labor $82.95
Total $112.92

I would imagine that this is the cost regardless if you are paying out of pocket or if it covered under warranty. I could be wrong as labor rates may be different for warranty vs. non-warranty items but my assumption is that they are the same. Again, just a guess.

I think that it is a DIY job except for the fact that you need to reprogram the car.

That is not too bad.. I thought it would be around $650.

skylolow
05-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Labor $82.95
Total $112.92

Thanks............I was thinking around $100 to $150. Looks like about one hour of labor.

mleerob
05-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks............I was thinking around $100 to $150. Looks like about one hour of labor.

Hope the DIY wirks out for you at that cost.

IMO none of us should have cars with sunrooof problems,even after 50K miles.
I have owned several cars with sunroofs,that cost much less,than a BMW, and they were no trouble.

Now I have to go back to the dealership to have the loud noise problem corrected.
I like to ride with the sunroof closed,and the cover open.
It is much more quiet with the cover closed, If I want to let the light in, it is going to be loud.

skylolow
05-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Hope the DIY wirks out for you at that cost.

IMO none of us should have cars with sunrooof problems,even after 50K miles.
I have owned several cars with sunroofs,that cost much less,than a BMW, and they were no trouble.

Now I have to go back to the dealership to have the loud noise problem corrected.
I like to ride with the sunroof closed,and the cover open.
It is much more quiet with the cover closed, If I want to let the light in, it is going to be loud.

I fully agree. BMW's have always had quirks that you'd never think would be in a 50K+ car.

mleerob
05-12-2010, 01:14 PM
I fully agree. BMW's have always had quirks that you'd never think would be in a 50K+ car.

I like the car,but didn't expect the quirks.
A sunroof is fairly fundamantal.
Are the Lexus owners having loud sunroof problems,and returning to the dealership?

skylolow
05-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I like the car,but didn't expect the quirks.
A sunroof is fairly fundamantal.
Are the Lexus owners having loud sunroof problems,and returning to the dealership?

Well I also own a 1997 Lexus LS 400 with 185K on it that I've owned since 2000 and my sunroof you can barely tell if the shade is shut or open. Basically its whisper quiet.

All the cars that I've owned in my family and all the cars my parents have owned or friends, I can only think of one or two cars that had what I'd call excessive noise from the sunroof.

It isn't so much that BMW can't do it right as they replace the seals and reseat the sunroof it usually fixes the issue. The problem is many of these cars are being sold new with issues. Quality control seems to be at the heart of it. Kind of like trunk seals on some BMWs. New 50K+ cars with leaky trunks......not good.

ANZAC_1915
07-16-2010, 08:25 AM
The gap adjustment is really critical. We had wind noise and the sunroof would jam, they adjusted it (per the other TSB) which fixed the jamming, but the wind noise was still there. I bet that contributed to the amount of water getting in and all of our leak problems.

Basically our sunroof was never adjusted correctly from the factory, the dealer has had a few attempts at it, and hopefully the latest one will keep the water out (now that I think about it, the wind noise is lower....)

TRS550
07-16-2010, 02:38 PM
FYI.....

The reprogramming has to to with anti entrapment software. Software looks for increased load on the sunroof motor. If load exceeds X then the sunroof motor goes into reverse and opens again.

Side windows do the same thing.

steveo90290
07-17-2010, 09:07 AM
For CPO you might try to have your SA write it up as a sunroof adjustment issue, as the CPO warranty does not cover seals, or noises. Don't know if it will work, but worth a shot.