PDA

View Full Version : golf tee mod...exhaust the same?

DTC-OFF
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey guys, i know this has been discused before, but i couldnt find any answers when i searched this. I youtubed how to do the mod and found that all you do is unclip a harness leading to the vacuum. so i did the mod and honestly i cant tell a difference at all... is it just me, or have others who tried it not think much of it either?

vadim76
05-05-2010, 02:07 PM
It's a mechanical valve. To do the mod, you'd have to tie it open with a piece of wire or something. I was going to try that, but didn't have time yet

Billd104
05-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Really doesn't make that much of a difference IMHO. I've tried it both ways and notice very little change.

DTC-OFF
05-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Really doesn't make that much of a difference IMHO. I've tried it both ways and notice very little change.

yeah, i just put it back together...i dont think aa valve will do that much of a difference

vadim76
05-05-2010, 03:27 PM
There is a difference in a way it sounds.

DTC-OFF
05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
There is a difference in a way it sounds.

Yeah actually i just pushed the vavle open by pushing the lever, and there is a difference. How can i keep the vavle open tho? ive heard of people putting sticks in the exhaust, but is there a better way? a stick just sounds ghetto lol

PEden
05-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Bypass the exhaust valve solenoid in the trunk panel by simply disconnecting the two rubber vacuum tubes (from the solenoid) and then connecting them directly. Vacuum will be at the inboard muffler valve allowing it to be open even at idle. Increased exhaust sound. Backpressure pros and cons probably negated by existence of upstream bottlenecks e.g. turbos.

ericdiver
05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417249&highlight=magnaflow

DTC-OFF
05-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Bypass the exhaust valve solenoid in the trunk panel by simply disconnecting the two rubber vacuum tubes (from the solenoid) and then connecting them directly. Vacuum will be at the inboard muffler valve allowing it to be open even at idle. Increased exhaust sound. Backpressure pros and cons probably negated by existence of upstream bottlenecks e.g. turbos.

sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but i dont follow...so i get the two hoses and connect them diredtly to themselves?

Billd104
05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but i dont follow...so i get the two hoses and connect them diredtly to themselves?

You are just bypassing the solenoid so vacuum goes directly to the valve. It opens when the engine starts. One hose will have vacuum the other will not. Buy a vacuum hose connector at your local auto parts house, install and enjoy.

DTC-OFF
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
You are just bypassing the solenoid so vacuum goes directly to the valve. It opens when the engine starts. One hose will have vacuum the other will not. Buy a vacuum hose connector at your local auto parts house, install and enjoy.

ooooohhh haha ok! i got it :p sounds like an easy enough mod :) and i wont need to use a stick lol

Billd104
05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
ooooohhh haha ok! i got it :p sounds like an easy enough mod :) and i wont need to use a stick lol

No... no stick required, or golf tee for that matter. The golf tee mod was for older models where the secondary exhaust valve would open when vacuum was removed. :D

DTC-OFF
05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
No... no stick required, or golf tee for that matter. The golf tee mod was for older models where the secondary exhaust valve would open when vacuum was removed. :D

Hey, actually i just did it! and there was no need for a connector. if you look at the hose leading to the solenoid from the engine, theres a pipe that the hose connects to. so what i did was get the hose for the exhaust and led it straight to the pipe lol took literally 30 seconds to do :D

Billd104
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Hey, actually i just did it! and there was no need for a connector. if you look at the hose leading to the solenoid from the engine, theres a pipe that the hose connects to. so what i did was get the hose for the exhaust and led it straight to the pipe lol took literally 30 seconds to do :D

I have a Touring so the vacuum system is probably different in the E60 vs. E61. Now with 30 seconds invested what do you think? :)

DTC-OFF
05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I have a Touring so the vacuum system is probably different in the E60 vs. E61. Now with 30 seconds invested what do you think? :)

well its a small difference, but satisfies non the less. For 30 seconds, this is the best mod for the money :rofl:

Billd104
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
well its a small difference, but satisfies non the less. For 30 seconds, this is the best mod for the money :rofl:

Yep!! :thumbup:

mleerob
05-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Yep!! :thumbup:

Is this mod poasible on an 08 535i ?
Sure would like a little more sound,but not a DIY guy.

mleerob
05-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Is this mod poasible on an 08 535i ?
Sure would like a little more sound,but not a DIY guy.

Sure want improved sound.
Not sure I should do this mod to my car.
Has to be doing something to it,that may not be a good thing.
Maybe not. I'm sure not a mechanic.

vadim76
05-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I just did this! Awesome!!! :thumbup:

DTC-OFF
05-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Sure want improved sound.
Not sure I should do this mod to my car.
Has to be doing something to it,that may not be a good thing.
Maybe not. I'm sure not a mechanic.

yeah, mine is an 08 535! i highly recomend it, it seriously takes less than a minute to do, and is reversable! and from what ive been hearing, theres no side affects for us because we have turbos:thumbup:

DTC-OFF
05-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I just did this! Awesome!!! :thumbup:

pretty sweet right?! haha i cant believe how happy small FREE mods make me :D

mleerob
05-07-2010, 09:42 AM
yeah, mine is an 08 535! i highly recomend it, it seriously takes less than a minute to do, and is reversable! and from what ive been hearing, theres no side affects for us because we have turbos:thumbup:

You did it and it sounds better?
How much improvement do you think it is?

DTC-OFF
05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
You did it and it sounds better?
How much improvement do you think it is?

yeah, i did it and theres an improvement from idle up to 2500 RPM. you get a much deeper rumble coming from the back. If you want to see what it will sound like before doing the mod, Just start the car and go lay underneath your mufflers. Looking up at the mufflers, you will see a vacuum with a lever that moves in and out of it that opens and closes the valve inside the muffler. just push the lever in and you will hear the difference. :thumbup:

Billd104
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM
yeah, i did it and theres an improvement from idle up to 2500 RPM. you get a much deeper rumble coming from the back. If you want to see what it will sound like before doing the mod, Just start the car and go lay underneath your mufflers. Looking up at the mufflers, you will see a vacuum with a lever that moves in and out of it that opens and closes the valve inside the muffler. just push the lever in and you will hear the difference. :thumbup:

Make sure the muffler isn't hot or *burn* will ensue!! :D

DJtoad
05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Did this quick-n-easy, 30 second mod yesterday morning and I'm very happy with the results. The car sounds much better at low RPMs and sounds great when I start it in the garage. :thumbup:

DTC-OFF
05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
hey guys, so after a few days with the mod, i found that the sound coming from the exhaust will get louder when the engine heats up :o i was going up a mountain yesterday, and when i parked the car to get a picture, the exhaust sounded 5 times louder! it sounded really good, and when i revved the engine, it sounded like it was a completely different car....any reasons as to why??

j0nblayz
11-14-2010, 02:24 PM

hey dtc-off, sorry to bring back an old thread, but just wondering, are you doing this thru the trunk on the left side like the 335's? or is the solenoid under the car by the exhaust? any issues since you did this mod? also do you happen to have any pics of the solenoid with the mod done? thanx!

merlintiaga
12-03-2010, 05:12 AM
I'd like to do this mod on my 545. ANyone know where is the vacuum solenoid is on the 545? It looks like its behind the bumper cover.

merlintiaga
12-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Never mind, found it.

JoseMaria
01-24-2011, 08:02 PM
hey dtc-off, sorry to bring back an old thread, but just wondering, are you doing this thru the trunk on the left side like the 335's? or is the solenoid under the car by the exhaust? any issues since you did this mod? also do you happen to have any pics of the solenoid with the mod done? thanx!

Looking for the solenoid too. Do I have to remove the panels in the trunk to get to this? Anyone know/have pictures? :dunno:

vadim76
01-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Yes, you have to remove the driver side panel in the trunk. You should see a black rubber vacuum tube running to a solenoid.

JoseMaria
02-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Yes, you have to remove the driver side panel in the trunk. You should see a black rubber vacuum tube running to a solenoid.

Thanks vadim, I found it. Sound difference is very subtle, but hoping it gets louder with time as dtc-off suggested. I did notice better, smoother performance down in the rpm range...as in the car revs easier and smoother off the line (part throttle acceleration. Maybe it's just in my head. :thumbup:

Belarus27
02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Is this possible on 04 545??

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Bimmer App

Belarus27
02-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Belarus27
02-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Just did that.. and yes it sounds better even wen in idle. :-):-) sweet. Will post if anything goes wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Bimmer App

cordoor
10-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Found the solenoid. See the two tubes. I am having the most difficult time getting the tubes pulled off the solenoid. I have been unsuccessful. Should I yank hard with some pliers? They are on there tight.

-Corey

cordoor
10-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Ok guys, this is *not* a 30 second mod. It took me 15 minutes just to find the exacto knife I needed to cut the tune away from the connector! LOL! Then it took 1 minute to cut them away and cut the tube from the exhaust clean on the end. Then it took like 10 minutes to get the stupid tube from the exhaust pushed onto the connector on the end of the hard tube to the engine because the stupid control unit or whatever was in the way.

Needless to say, I completed the mod (in about 30 minutes) and it worked.

I cannot tell much of a difference in the car. I can hear it a bit on start and idle in the garage. There is definitely more air flow (can feel it coming fr the inside exhaust pipe. At the end of the day, it was fun to do but I'm not sure there is much benefit audibly or performance-wise. I need to go for a drive without the wife though (first and only drive with this change was with her).

-Corey

BounceNY
10-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Will this mod work on a 530xi?